Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I don’t want to assume either way. There’s no way to know, unfortunately. A lot of people will be in that same position. I wasn’t worried about me, I just wanted to know for the people who I had been around in the days prior to my diagnosis...and the people in my office who didn’t want me to come back for 2 weeks. This happened right before all heck broke lose. March 4or 5th is when I was told pneumonia.

All heck broke loose a lot earlier than that. And THAT’S the problem.

ImperfectPixie

My wife and I got back about an hour ago from being tested. We went through a drive through testing sight. Took about 2.5 hours. My wife has symptoms and I do not. I’m a healthcare worker with a chronic medical condition. We have to wait 72 hours to get our results. The criteria they are using are:
Known contact with a covid 19 positive patient
History of travel
Age 65 or older
Symptoms you’ve read about
Health care worker.
We’re in Michigan

Also, this may be self serving, but if you usually see your primary care doctor, enquire
If they are doing telemedicine visits. Insurance companies are paying for the services and may help your doctor to stay in business.
Thank you very much for the update...you are both in my thoughts and I'm really praying you both get well soon.

Harvard Pilgrim distributed information (through my husband's company) about not visiting the ER if you can't see your primary care physician and it includes resources for virtual visits.

Rimmit

It sadly happens daily in big companies with recall situations. There are.plenty of times where big auto manufacturer's or baby products will weigh the recall cost of being 20 to 100 million to replace a d properly install parts vs take the next wrongful death suits and settlements knowing the millions paid to those families with lost loved ones will still be millions less. Those to me are worse because there is a clear intent of injustice more than wanting to live the healthiest one personally can and presume inherant risk.
Just a thought.

Oh it happens all the time, just not on the scale we are dealing with here. Toyota’s great debacle with the brakes only killed 30 or so people. The IKEA dressers I think affected 40-50. Nothing on the scale of thousands of deaths.

I agree in that those cases are much worse as it is an injustice rather than being stuck between a rock and a hard place. In those situations companies are stuck between a rock and making the right decision. Sadly they choose the rock.

celluloid

Oh it happens all the time, just not on the scale we are dealing with here. Toyota’s great debacle with the brakes only killed 30 or so people. The IKEA dressers I think affected 40-50. Nothing on the scale of thousands of deaths.

I agree in that those cases are much worse as it is an injustice rather than being stuck between a rock and a hard place. In those situations companies are stuck between a rock and making the right decision. Sadly they choose the rock.

Big tobacco and alcohol has any virus beat.

Lilofan

It won’t be simple, but it needs to happen, no matter on what scale. That conversation was already taking place long before we ever heard of ‘coronavirus’.
China has got the USA by the #%&@. If China stopped sending USA our meds, our pharmacy shelves would be bare. China and USA have a relationship called "trade". You buy from me, I buy from you...

21stamps

Speaking of automobiles, in the states who have closed all “non-essential businesses”, are car rental companies considered ‘essential’? Hopefully so. What would happen if someone totaled or needed repairs on the their car if not.

21stamps

Sometimes. There is some hope that this is the case far more often than not, but that is still more of a hope at the moment. Even then, among those who do present symptoms the “mild” description is being invoked to downplay the severity of the illness.

You can’t say this when there is not enough data to support it. Even the “experts” admit that not enough data exists.

celluloid

And our country has deemed as "essential" services - liquor stores to remain open.
Yeah, their priorities sure are looking out for the people aren't they? Just like the lottery that claims do donate to the public schools to justify itself.

I am just gonna cave and go to fun spot. Clean and not too crowded.

21stamps

And our country has deemed as "essential" services - liquor stores to remain open.

First of all, was that a federal order or a state?

but think about it... do you want a bunch of alcoholics breaking into liquor stores to get their fix... or worst case- being hospitalized while facing a detox scenario?
I’m sure that played a part in the decision, as horrible as it is. Conserve the hospital beds.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
UBI is an awful idea. The only reason I support the stimulus packages now is because this is an anomaly. UBI, under normal circumstances, would create massive inflation and would not stimulate any economic growth. Basic economics tells you that the economy cannot grow from stimulating demand.

That must be why we don't see massive inflation at all today.

UNCgolf

Sometimes. There is some hope that this is the case far more often than not, but that is still more of a hope at the moment. Even then, among those who do present symptoms the “mild” description is being invoked to downplay the severity of the illness.

Yeah, they use the word mild to describe anyone who doesn't need hospitalization. It can still mean a week or more of a fever, aches, etc.

There are definitely asymptomatic people as well, though.

Lilofan

First of all, was that a federal order or a state?

but think about it... do you want a bunch of alcoholics breaking into liquor stores to get their fix... or worst case- being hospitalized while facing a detox scenario?
I’m sure that played a part in the decision, as horrible as it is. Conserve the hospital beds.
Alcoholics breaking into liquor stores? That's sounds like a Hollywood segment in the burbs.

LittleBuford

They're a plant that grows well -sometimes too well- with little to no care. And send spread easily, survive freezes, droughts, etc. So "cast iron."

Thank you! My “garden” comprises a small potted cactus on one of the windowsills in my apartment. Yours sounds glorious, and just the sort of thing one needs at this awful time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom