Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Unfortunately, it's not that out there. Addicts are going to try and feed their addiction no matter what. At one place I worked, the accreditation agency said we weren't allowed alcohol based sanitizers, because alcoholics being treated there would potentially have access and try to drink the sanitizer for the alcohol.
There's a guy locally who just today posted in the town group that he moved in with his low-income grandfather, had gotten fired and that the heat had been shut off. As is usually seen, many, many people responded with TONS of resources for free heat help, some offering to bring portable heaters, job listings, offering work, etc. He won't accept anything but cash because he's freaking trying to scam people out of money. (A few people that know him have said that he's a pot-head leech - if he's being this open about asking for cash, I suspect there's way more than pot in the mix - constantly borrowing money and never paying it back.)

Last edited:

Lilofan

The Subaru dealership I go to has free loaner cars which are probably available due to people not coming out for routine maintenance. My old Honda dealership had a car rental service attached to it. I realize that’s anecdotal and its not everywhere but there are probably some limited options out there. If your car is just broken and not totaled they will probably fix it more quickly since I’m sure business is way down. If you have an essential job you can probably reach out to coworkers or neighbors for a lift. I know my neighbor in my old neighborhood who had a big SUV would drive people to/from work in a pinch during a snow storm. He was a good guy, but I also think he just liked getting out on snow covered roads and had a good excuse.
If any car needed a speciality part or a part from Asia or Europe that might be an issue with transport and parts making location that may not be open. My dealer is hurting for business and is offering free pick up/drop off of my cars for any service to include disinfect of cars.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The temporary assistance checks should include a second qualifier: net worth

Some will be under quasi house arrest in their $3 million+ home but yet easily qualify under the income threshold to collect $1000.

Income by itself can greatly mislead one's financial circumstances.
They should probably send them to almost anyone and then just claw the money back when you file your taxes if you have enough money to cover your own expenses. Just because someone made $100K last year doesn’t mean they will in 2020 if they lose their job.

21stamps

The Subaru dealership I go to has free loaner cars which are probably available due to people not coming out for routine maintenance. My old Honda dealership had a car rental service attached to it. I realize that’s anecdotal and its not everywhere but there are probably some limited options out there. If your car is just broken and not totaled they will probably fix it more quickly since I’m sure business is way down. If you have an essential job you can probably reach out to coworkers or neighbors for a lift. I know my neighbor in my old neighborhood who had a big SUV would drive people to/from work in a pinch during a snow storm. He was a good guy, but I also think he just liked getting out on snow covered roads and had a good excuse.

That’s what I worry about, dealerships only have a certain number of their own loaners, and most have a contract with a rental car company as well, for when all of their loaners are out. Neither situation would help in a car wrecked or totaled scenario though..as there would be no reason to bring your car to the dealer for that. I guess let’s all just hope that enough people are staying home that essential workers won’t have a car that gets wrecked during state wide closures.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s what I worry about, dealerships only have a certain number of their own loaners, and most have a contract with a rental car company as well, for when all of their loaners are out. Neither situation would help in a car wrecked or totaled scenario though..as there would be no reason to bring your car to the dealer for that. I guess let’s all just hope that enough people are staying home that essential workers won’t have a car that gets wrecked during state wide closures.
You could probably borrow a car from a friend or neighbor too. My car has moved once in the last 8 days. If someone I trusted needed it I’d be glad to loan it out as long as they don‘t mess with the presets.

Angel Ariel

That kind of lock-down could very well happen here. Americans are in general stubborn, selfish, and short-sighted (case in point, the spring break kids). Some people already aren't following instructions...and it could likely get to a point where you'll have to force them to. Curfews are being implemented...first step of many on the road to lock-downs. Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't seen more incidents of problems because of people wanting and/or not acknowledging social distancing.
Speaking to this - the National Park Service is posting today that they will be putting up traffic controls and closing parking lots because people refuse to stay away from the Tidal Basin in DC. Seeing the cherry blossoms is more important than social distancing. SMH. 🤦‍♀️

Club Cooloholic

After a full week in isolation, I thought I would venture to the local Target to get a few food supplies and one thing bugging me I didn't have(really needed a new air filter for the HAVAC), and I saw why this thing will spread. It looked like any other shopping day, I saw no wipes for the carts(sure hope someone is wiping them) none in the check out line, people walking way too close, not respecting space(one guy stood in the same spot in the aisle for literally 5 mins, while I waited for him to move so I could get a look at what I needed). Anyway I came away from there not feeling great about this slowing down anytime soon and not in a hurry to go to a store( I really thought there would be more cleaning measures). Oh and they didn't have my size filter. I kept my distance, cleaned my hands in the car...but still.

thomas998

There's a guy locally who just today posted in the town group that he moved in with his low-income grandfather, had gotten fired and that the heat had been shut off. As is usually seen, many, many people responded with TONS of resources for free heat help, some offering to bring portable heaters, job listings, offering work, etc. He won't accept anything but cash because he's freaking trying to scam people out of money. (A few people that know him have said that he's a pot-head leech - if he's being this open about asking for cash, I suspect there's way more than pot in the mix - constantly borrowing money and never paying it back.)
In most areas the utility companies have announced they wont be cutting any services during the virus outbreak. So on its face it sounds suspect... never underestimate the number of scumbags that will pop up during a crisis to try and make a fast buck.

thomas998

After a full week in isolation, I thought I would venture to the local Target to get a few food supplies and one thing bugging me I didn't have(really needed a new air filter for the HAVAC), and I saw why this thing will spread. It looked like any other shopping day, I saw no wipes for the carts(sure hope someone is wiping them) none in the check out line, people walking way too close, not respecting space(one guy stood in the same spot in the aisle for literally 5 mins, while I waited for him to move so I could get a look at what I needed). Anyway I came away from there not feeling great about this slowing down anytime soon and not in a hurry to go to a store( I really thought there would be more cleaning measures). Oh and they didn't have my size filter. I kept my distance, cleaned my hands in the car...but still.
If you are that concerned, I suggest you wear a mask, even a DIY mask when you go shopping. It wouldn't be a perfect thing but it would give you some level of protection... and just standing for 5 minutes waiting for someone to move is really probably putting in as much risk as simply walking past them unless they are having a coughing fit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In most areas the utility companies have announced they wont be cutting any services during the virus outbreak. So on its face it sounds suspect... never underestimate the number of scumbags that will pop up during a crisis to try and make a fast buck.
It usually takes a little while too for them to shut off service. It wouldn’t happen this fast. Months not days.

durangojim

Little update. We were both tested for influenza and covid. Our influenza tests both just came back negative, so you know what that means. Winner winner chicken dinner. I am 95% sure my wife will be positive for covid. Just trying to stay positive. Odd are in our favor. I’ll be happy to chronicle our experiences. My 14 year old son is now having symtoms.:confused:

Club Cooloholic

If you are that concerned, I suggest you wear a mask, even a DIY mask when you go shopping. It wouldn't be a perfect thing but it would give you some level of protection... and just standing for 5 minutes waiting for someone to move is really probably putting in as much risk as simply walking past them unless they are having a coughing fit.
Trust me I did not stand right next to them lol, that was the frustrating part, I couldn't see that my size filter wasn't there lol at the other end of the aisle. Made me think of this song...

Lilofan

Rock fever or house fever is affecting people in my neighborhood. When I went to the local high school football field, a number of residents young and old were jogging/walking on the running track, running stadium steps or what I enjoyed running half and full sprints on the astro turf football field.

fradz

Little update. We were both tested for influenza and covid. Our influenza tests both just came back negative, so you know what that means. Winner winner chicken dinner. I am 95% sure my wife will be positive for covid. Just trying to stay positive. Odd are in our favor. I’ll be happy to chronicle our experiences. My 14 year old son is now having symtoms.:confused:
Hang in there! Been fighting it for a few days now, and while I'm weaker, we should all make it :)

DisneyDebRob

I am with you on this. Decided to order out and help a local pizzeria we really like. Drove right by a Home Depot, Target and aldi shopping area. Wow. Cars were parked way back in the furthest spots. A mob scene! Looks worse then regular days. Guessing since they are some of the essential businesses and open everybody is flocking to them.

21stamps

You might be more of a risk to them than they to you if you’ve been sick for the past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom