Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

My optimistic take. A lot of businesses will be returning after this is over. We have to regulate the percentage of goods and services we get from overseas. I had no idea what a high percentage of our medical resources are imported. It is insane to have it be more than 40% or so. National security has to come before economic considerations.

So you will see limits on critical products produced outside of North America and jobs coming back to fix stuff like this. IMO.

I said this the other day in the COVID-19 political thread. If there’s any Silver Lining in this situation, it will be more jobs being brought back to the US. Especially from China.

jt04

ImperfectPixie

Love Longhorn, but got to say I can't imagine ordering a tomahawk ribeye to go in a styrofoam box...
When taking our boys to a restaurant was akin to trying to wrangle two pigs coated with butter (autism is fun!), we used to order steaks to-go from local restaurants fairly regularly. THANK GOD for Disney because our visits to WDW played a major role in teaching them proper behavior in public (I think mostly because we weren't at home and it was a big disruption in routine...but it worked. To the point that I potty trained our youngest during one of our trips because he was being uber stubborn at home and he was almost 5.)
Yes, but not at the lifestyle they're accustomed too.

And that would be the real "tragedy".
I REALLY hope that's sarcasm.

21stamps

That’s the heart of all of these discussions. Pragmatism, or Anything is worth it to save a life! Those are the two different thoughts we’re seeing.

The key is - find the median

If the latter was really someone’s true thoughts, then they would be advocating for an economic shutdown during every flu season. However, they’re not.

Last edited by a moderator:

UNCgolf

Didn't say it wouldn't impact it, but you are greatly underestimating the power of the domestic US economy. Spent my entire career in corporate finance in a global company, but my opinion is worth no more than anybody else's on the internet, so take it all with a grain of salt.

That's one of the reasons I think everyone should be concerned of long-term effects over the short-term effects. Most major corporations were already dramatically cutting expenditures/asking everyone to work remotely before the government stepped in to do anything. Their analysis suggested the long-term effects of not doing it would be worse than taking the temporary hit now.

I'm a corporate attorney with one of the largest firms in the world and we've been working remotely at all offices worldwide for a couple of weeks. We've also had numerous clients ask us to either momentarily stop work entirely or dramatically cut back (dependent on case urgency, of course) because they don't want to spend money if they don't absolutely have to. That's been going on since well before the US or any state governments issued any mandates as well.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

FWIW, my brothers friend just posted this if anyone is curious to read another experience. He said he was in Israel and Japan in the past 3 weeks.
179D2670-80BB-4E63-A038-66350BC1697E.jpeg

UNCgolf

I said this the other day in the COVID-19 political thread. If there’s any Silver Lining in this situation, it will be more jobs being brought back to the US. Especially from China.

It's nowhere near that simple, and it probably won't happen. Even if they shifted operations out of China, they would just be moved to somewhere else in southeast Asia, India, or South America.

If it does happen, it will likely be a big hit to the US economy and individual consumers, because the price of goods and services will skyrocket. Moving industry back to the US would be a negative in almost every way for Americans other than for the few people that get jobs there.

It would potentially be a boon for workers in China and southeast Asia, though, considering they often work in horrifying conditions (which is why it's so cheap, and why it would cause astronomical cost increases to move it back here).

21stamps

It's nowhere near that simple, and it probably won't happen. Even if they shifted operations out of China, they would just be moved to somewhere else in southeast Asia, India, or South America.

If it does happen, it will likely be a big hit to the US economy and individual consumers, because the price of goods and services will skyrocket. Moving industry back to the US would be a negative in almost every way for Americans other than for the few people that get jobs there.

It won’t be simple, but it needs to happen, no matter on what scale. That conversation was already taking place long before we ever heard of ‘coronavirus’.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Absolutely, they will get sick, 80% will not require hospitalization, and they will recover in a couple of weeks. That would not shut down the US economy. We are focusing on the elderly as that is the bulk of the serious/critical/fatalities. Governments are not shutting down states because they are concerned young people are going to have to stay home for a week with a cough. They are doing to stop the spread so it won't impact the most impacted, which is the elderly and people with existing conditions.

Let's play out a scenario (warning to those easily triggered by hypothetical scenarios), imagine this disease impacted only young people, they got it in masses, they all just got a fever and cough for a week, and then were fine. Would the entire economy be shut down and would be trapped in our homes to stop it? Of course not.
You are assuming that if nothing was shut down that everyone outside of the elderly and high risk people would just go on business as usual. If that happened and the hospitals were not overrun then perhaps the economy wouldn’t be that deeply impacted. The problem with that argument is people would not act like business as usual. When this was just a China problem back in January there were already ripples of fear in the economy. People already started to voluntarily alter their behavior. Obviously the elderly and anyone at risk would need to be self quarantined to avoid illness so they would be out of the economy for anything other than necessities. Then you have others who may not be at high risk but just don’t want to get sick or have relatives they take care of. They would possibly self quarantine too. The point is the economy wouldn’t be churning along business as usual. More people would get sick and if there was a surge on hospital capacity more could die.

The basic point is that if they were not trying to flatten the curve there would still be potentially huge impacts for the economy. Without a study from actual economists we can’t know to what extent the damage would be. Long term it could be worse than what we will see with flattening the curve.

Chicagoshannon2

FWIW, my brothers friend just posted this if anyone is curious to read another experience. He said he was in Israel and Japan in the past 3 weeks.
View attachment 457701
So he doesn't even know if he has it. He should stay home but he should also call his doctor to get tested. He should NOT go to the ER unless he's having difficulty breathing but should definitely let his doctor know and get tested.

21stamps

So he doesn't even know if he has it. He should stay home but he should also call his doctor to get tested. He should NOT go to the ER unless he's having difficulty breathing but should definitely let his doctor know and get tested.

They aren’t testing unless really need to. I was diagnosed with pneumonia, negative for flu, and they still wouldn’t test me for COVID-19. I had a fever for 5 full days ranging from 102s-103, was prescribed steroids, z pack, and an inhaler and told to stay home.
In that guy’s case it may be easier to get tested being that he has traveled to multiple countries recently.

UNCgolf

It won’t be simple, but it needs to happen, no matter on what scale. That conversation was already taking place long before we ever heard of ‘coronavirus’.

I don't see why it needs to happen?

It would likely be an overall negative for the US economy, and it wouldn't even make a big difference in production/supply chains. Most of those industries require raw materials from other places, so they still wouldn't be able to function without imports.

Rimmit

My favorite dodge to a simple, hypothetical question. Seriously, have you never taken a philosophy, debate, or business class where you must make these philosophical choices and trade-offs? Fine, it's a false dichotomy, so I'll put you down as "refuse to answer".

You keep saying people are dodging the answer but it’s not just a matter of lives we are analyzing in this situation. It’s so much more complex than that.

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, in order for us to get a better grip On this debate you need to have a firm number of deaths we are talking about. Like 1 million deaths or 500k deaths and a firm number on the true economic impact.

You also have no firm numbers on the impact losing however many of these theoretical citizens would have on the economy. Furthermore, you have no evidence for your argument that if we let this go on if people (other than spring breakers) would continue to frequent businesses with a raging virus going around would.

Would restaurants and hotels be able to operate and even get insurance knowing that they are knowingly subjecting their patrons to a possible illness during a worldwide pandemic in which the rest of the world is saying stay at home? What is the liability in that situation? What would the drop in occupancy be with a raging virus? Would it be economically feasible to run a business in a pandemic situation? What percent of businesses would survive? Is it worth the 500k lives even if 75 percent of the businesses don’t survive? What about 50 percent of businesses? 25 percent? What percentage of businesses need to make it to be worth the deaths of 500k? What about 1000k people?

How many lives are you willing to sacrifice per business saved? We can call it the lives to business ratio or LTB ratio for short? 1000:1? 10000:1? What is acceptable to you?

I have said many times it’s not that your argument isn’t valid. It’s just that you have just as little evidence if not less to support your argument as everyone has regarding the current course of action the world is taking. There is nothing to state your argument is better or worse. However, at least the current course of action saves lives (in theory). This is an argument that is being and will be debated till the end of human history. We are living out a massive philosophical debate at this time, one that used to be only thought about in philosophy class.

jt04

They aren’t testing unless really need to. I was diagnosed with pneumonia, negative for flu, and they still wouldn’t test me for COVID-19. I had a fever for 5 full days ranging from 102s-103, was prescribed steroids, z pack, and an inhaler and told to stay home.
In that guy’s case it may be easier to get tested being that he has traveled to multiple countries recently.

Sounds like you had it.

21stamps

Sounds like you had it.

I don’t want to assume either way. There’s no way to know, unfortunately. A lot of people will be in that same position. I wasn’t worried about me, I just wanted to know for the people who I had been around in the days prior to my diagnosis...and the people in my office who didn’t want me to come back for 2 weeks. This happened right before all heck broke lose. March 4or 5th is when I was told pneumonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom