Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

I’m talking about schools being closed and other businesses ordered to close. That’s the moment when all heck broke lose for millions of Americans.
I still dont understand why school were closed but not airports. Schools impact more community spread, but airports were still infecting new cities that were otherwise virus free. Seems airports first thing and school on a city by city basis would have made more sense.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Alcoholics breaking into liquor stores? That's sounds like a Hollywood segment in the burbs.
Forget the alcoholics...a bunch of parents are stuck home with their kids for potentially weeks on end. What would really be frightening is a bunch of accountants and IT people who were just casual drinkers last week breaking into their liquor store. That’s when you know this crap just got real;)

fradz

First of all, feel better soon. I'm sure this is not a pleasant experience at all.

I was wondering if you could explain the entire experience so far? Like the symptoms experienced, the order in which they came, how long they have lasted, and how intense they have been? I haven't seen too many firsthand accounts and I am curious of what we should expect if we get the disease.

If you don't want to answer this, don't worry about it, I understand.:)
UGH. I'm really sorry you're going through this and hope you're back to 100% quickly. 🙏 Early symptoms, the order they came, etc. would be nice to know. :)

Do you mind telling us what state you are in, and how you were able to get tested 10 days ago?
ie Allowed a test because you knew you had been around someone who was also diagnosed.

Thank you!
Just gonna make one text that answers all questions:

It started as a mild throat annoyance. Just thought I caught a cold while hiking the week prior. ---- I was actually on a trip with my gf from 22/02 to 01/03 in Paris (including Disney, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, all the touristy stuff). We then went to Mont Saint Michel (which I've recommended to you guys before!) and to Etretat, where the hiking happened and it was extremely cold and windy. She is fine, and 1500 miles away, and somehow didn't get the virus. I might have caught it back here in Belgium. Had to be between the 1st and 6th of March then, but am not sure how and when. ----
Then it was a little more painful but I didn't think anything of it. I coughed a bit but not much at all. I bought a thermometer and started monitoring my temperature as I knew it was the most common symptom. Nothing abnormal so I figured it was whatever. When it went downwards in my respiratory system, I started to worry. I didn't go to my doctor (due to the contagious nature of the thing), I called her and asked my closed ones to bring me some stuff I typically use to treat respiratory problems.

Just because I was super careful and knowing that my touristy trip put me at risk, after practicing social distancing since my return on the 1st; I put myself in self-quarantine as of 6th of March, and worked from home since then. Before that, I stocked up on all the regular stuff I need. Now my friends go groceries shopping for me and drop me stuff in front of the house.

I'm at home (I live alone); I feel very tired and weak but am not in need of respiratory assistance (yet), so no need to crowd the hospitals. Due to my medical history, I own a nebulizer aerosol, I tried some products that my doctor ordered for me, but they don't really make me feel better. I now have a mild fever, which is not very annoying. Also diarrhea since recently... The most annoying symptom, by far, is the burning lungs. Breathing hurts (most of the time, sometimes I feel ok) and makes it very exhausting so I'm very tired. If I talk for too long, I also get out of breath. If I move too fast, I get out of breath.

I drink tea and breathe the vapors of eucalyptus leaves in boiling water, it eases my respiration and makes the pain stop for a while. :)

I couldn't get a regular test at the time, as there are not enough kits anymore, but I got examined by a virologist specialized in all these SARS things and he confirmed I had it.
The burning lungs and everything that comes with it is generally a dead giveaway anyway.

Last edited:

21stamps

I still dont understand why school were closed but not airports. Schools impact more community spread, but airports were still infecting new cities that were otherwise virus free. Seems airports first thing and school on a city by city basis would have made more sense.

Exactly. The first (known) case in Cincinnati was someone who brought it here while visiting from NY. 🙄

21stamps

Alcoholics breaking into liquor stores? That's sounds like a Hollywood segment in the burbs.

I stand by my statement. States probably don’t want to deal with alcohols and their antics or detox right now. There’s enough to deal with.

If you want to see what desperate people do during hard times and closures.. just look at any videos of looters in the aftermath of a hurricane. It’s not hollywood, it’s real.

Last edited:

wishiwere@wdw

The basic point in this is... this shutdown does not strike based on your AGI

Your AGI at at a point in time says nothing about your actual costs vs earnings

A random round number means nothing compared to what your sustaining expenses are.

Politics that try to play 'the haves vs the have nots' in this thing is going to blow it all up. This freeze of the economy is going to hurt EVERYONE.

The very notion of 'well you make a 100k, you should have assets...' is a foolish statement. Maybe you're 25 and paying off college debt. Maybe you're a doctor paying off medical school and college still. Maybe you're a white collar guy supporting 4 kids and struggling to keep up. Maybe you live in NYC or parts of cali where housing makes 100k earners 'just getting by..'

etc
Precisely. I’m not all that thrilled about what is being proposed for our particular situation. I realize not every case is ever the same and it’s impossible to please everyone but to see some of the comments (not so much here) makes me sick to my stomach. Ok... fine, I should have “saved and been prepared”. Except, I’m supporting a large family with 4 children and paying college for 2. Our food expense and even our utility bills are just a few more examples. We were doing just fine and being responsible adults before all of this but certainly not hoarding cash. But now it’s unpopular to speak up because we’re considered wealthy? And please understand, I’m all for all of those that are qualifying and getting the aid they need. The cutoff is certainly making me question things however.

thomas998

I stand by my statement. States probably don’t want to deal with alcohols and their antics or detox right now. There’s enough to deal with.

If you want to see what desperate people do during hard times and closures.. just look at any videos of looters in the aftermath of a hurricane. It’s not hollywood, it’s real.
Better indicator of where it will be is the crime rate during the great depression. The only problem with those numbers is that you also have the criminal activity related to prohibition lumped in there as well... but even in areas of the country where you didn't have to deal with the likes of Al Capone you had an increase in crime.

celluloid

Sounds like people need to socially distance themselves from bottles then.

Limiting alcohol would also open up a lot of hospital beds too.

ImperfectPixie

Speaking of automobiles, in the states who have closed all “non-essential businesses”, are car rental companies considered ‘essential’? Hopefully so. What would happen if someone totaled or needed repairs on the their car if not.
Auto repair companies are essential. My bestie and her husband own one. They didn't need to file for any special exemption or anything.
Raise your hand if you've asked this question recently: "Am I hungry, or just bored?"
THIS is a big thing for my boys. I'm watching them like a hawk because they'll graze all day if they can.

21stamps

Sounds like people need to socially distance themselves from bottles then.

Limiting alcohol would also open up a lot of hospital beds too.

I agree with you. I just try look at things thru a pragmatic lens and can understand why states wouldn’t want a sudden rush of people who are suffering from alcohol withdrawals.. not when they’re trying to limit medical visits as much as possible.

I don’t have any inside info on this, I could be completely wrong.. but that’s my assumption

21stamps

Auto repair companies are essential. My bestie and her husband own one. They didn't need to file for any special exemption or anything.

THIS is a big thing for my boys. I'm watching them like a hawk because they'll graze all day if they can.

Not auto repair, auto rental. That’s what I’m curious about. If your car is totaled or needs to go to a repair shop.. are you without a car?

Overlordkitty

Unfortunately, it's not that out there. Addicts are going to try and feed their addiction no matter what. At one place I worked, the accreditation agency said we weren't allowed alcohol based sanitizers, because alcoholics being treated there would potentially have access and try to drink the sanitizer for the alcohol.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not auto repair, auto rental. That’s what I’m curious about. If your car is totaled or needs to go to a repair shop.. are you without a car?
The Subaru dealership I go to has free loaner cars which are probably available due to people not coming out for routine maintenance. My old Honda dealership had a car rental service attached to it. I realize that’s anecdotal and its not everywhere but there are probably some limited options out there. If your car is just broken and not totaled they will probably fix it more quickly since I’m sure business is way down. If you have an essential job you can probably reach out to coworkers or neighbors for a lift. I know my neighbor in my old neighborhood who had a big SUV would drive people to/from work in a pinch during a snow storm. He was a good guy, but I also think he just liked getting out on snow covered roads and had a good excuse.

Disney4family

1584823082414.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom