Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

I still bet large numbers would have turned it down. Surely if there was demand for this it would have happened.

Do we even know how much of the US team is vaccinated?
I’m not sure how reliable this is:

More than 80%. That’s the percentage of Olympic and Paralympic athletes that are estimated to be vaccinated against Covid-19, the IOC projected in June. That number may now be higher, as the IOC told Forbes in an email Monday night it has “received assurances” that at least 85% of delegation members from countries’ National Olympics Committees have been vaccinated. Individual sports teams may also have higher vaccination rates: the Washington Post reported in June 90% of athletes on the U.S. Olympic swim team were vaccinated, for instance, while USA Today reports the U.S. men’s rugby team “collectively agree[d]…that vaccinations were an overall positive.”​

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Since we discuss almost anything in this thread I need to ask.

I read universal is getting sued over a Character making an ok sign in a picture.

I guess I live in a cave this is racist to do?

Im asking cus I make that symbol myself when you know, things are ok.

Sorry to go off topic I guess I just missed this whole thing.
If you're not on Twitter, you likely have no idea about this. And it is for the better that you don't. If you're on Twitter, you may still have no idea about this...and it is for the better. :hilarious:

DisneyCane

You and I clearly hold our leaders to different standards. He should apologise.

As to your second paragraph, you’re skipping over a very important fact that has been highlighted time and again in this thread: it isn’t just about deaths, and young people, too, need protecting from COVID.
We'll have to agree to disagree about the second paragraph. From day 1 my opinion has been that nobody "needs protecting." Everyone needs accurate information about risks so they can decide what they want to do or not do to protect themselves.

No need to argue about it. That's my opinion and it isn't going to change.

Trauma

So assuming no mitigation’s will be put into effect, at least in the states that need it most, when do you think this wave is gonna peak?

LittleBuford

Since we discuss almost anything in this thread I need to ask.

I read universal is getting sued over a Character making an ok sign in a picture.

I guess I live in a cave , this is racist to do?

Im asking cus I make that symbol myself when you know, things are ok.

Sorry to go off topic I guess I just missed this whole thing.
No, making a normal OK sign in normal contexts is not racist. Some people have taken to using it in intentionally unconventional ways (upside down, for example) for purposes other than signalling OK. You'll find a lot more information if you Google it.

BaconPancakes

Meh I say let them stay unvaxxeed, and if they get corona and die well that’s the consequence. I’m not going back to wearing masks and staying inside all the time due to their stupid choice.

Heppenheimer

This is a completely useless observation. The life expectancy for somebody born in the past year hasn't changed one iota. It's just a retroactive calculation based on the age of people who have died over the course of the year. Since COVID cut lives short especially in the elderly population it is reflected in the life expectancy calculation. If COVID is still around in 70 years (I certainly won't be) without available vaccines then it would mean something.

My main take away from the article is to figure out what I can do to emulate hispanic people and get to their higher life expectancy.
No, it is not a useless observation, because comparing year to year life expectancy is a key tool in public health management. It's not about predicting any one person's longevity, its about finding the factors that contribute to excess mortality and then trying to mitigate them, because an excess of premature deaths disproportionately affect the calculated result. For example, the US has slightly trailed our first world peers in life expectancy recently mainly because our infant and maternal mortality rate is rather stubbornly high for a rich country.

But this year, the reason for the decline wasn't some subtle factor, it was the elephant in the room, mainly COVID.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We'll have to agree to disagree about the second paragraph. From day 1 my opinion has been that nobody "needs protecting." Everyone needs accurate information about risks so they can decide what they want to do or not do to protect themselves.

No need to argue about it. That's my opinion and it isn't going to change.

So what do I do to protect myself from an over-loaded ICU?

Disney Experience

A study ( not yet formally peer reviewed) had some interesting findings on why delta is effective. A bit technical so here is a paraphrase in case that makes it more clear ( But in the end trust their words not mine for what they mean)
Paraphrasing:
1. The currently EUA approved monoclonal antibody treatment Bamlanivimab is resisted by Delta.
2. It evades antibodies from vaccine (Pfizer in study) and from infection. Though the south African variant is better at evading, Delta has other features that are helping it win dominance.
3. Delta increases the rate of causing adjacent cells to fuse into multi nuclease cells which helps it transmit and cause harm. I wonder if this defends against the immune system ability to tell a cell to die.

From the studies’ summary:
The delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, B.1.617.2, emerged in India and has subsequently spread to over 80 countries. B.1.617.2 rapidly replaced B.1.1.7 as the dominant virus in the United Kingdom, resulting in a steep increase in new infections, and a similar development is expected for other countries. Effective countermeasures require information on susceptibility of B.1.617.2 to control by antibodies elicited by vaccines and used for COVID-19 therapy. We show, using pseudotyping, that B.1.617.2 evades control by antibodies induced upon infection and BNT162b2 vaccination, although with lower efficiency as compared to B.1.351. Further, we found that B.1.617.2 is resistant against a monoclonal antibody with emergency use authorization for COVID-19 therapy. Finally, we show increased Calu-3-lung cell entry and enhanced cell-to-cell fusion of B.1.617.2, which may contribute to augmented transmissibility and pathogenicity of this variant.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...or-says-hospitalized-covid-19-patients-asking Alabama doctor recounts patients asking for vaccine before being placed on vents. @wdwmagic I will remove if you think the source is too political
Here is the original article ( more pictures not sure if there is more text).

Sad that some people as they show in the article do/did not understand how vaccinations work or why they should have gotten them before getting covid.

Trauma

Here is the original article ( more pictures not sure if there is more text).

Sad that some people as they show in the article do/did not understand how vaccinations work or why they should have gotten them before getting covid.

If we forget all other metrics, political party, gender, race etc and just looked at this by education level, I would be Curious to see what we find.

We don’t really have a good way to sort by overall intelligence, so eduction level will have to be the next best thing.

I think this goes deeper than politics ( yes I understand that politics screwed this all up ) I think you would be more inclined to buy into certain things if your education is sub par.

Full disclosure I have 0 education, and my family is fully vaccinated so maybe I’m wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom