Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanbreeze77

if this is true, then all the reports of low infections in vaccinated people currently in the US should continue going forward, proving yet again, this is only a “plague amongst the unvaccinated.”

It’s like the CDC, Surgeon General, and Dr Fauci know what they’re talking about, who would have guessed 🙄.

Unvaccinated: Panic, and immediately go get your shots

Vaccinated: Keep Calm and live on!

Also, kids less then 12 continue to be well protected from severe disease.
we can't move forward unless we implement mandatory vaccines. Sure, us vaccinated folks can do what we want, but we also gotta think abut how the plague of the unvaccinated impacts healthcare and other areas of infrastructure. Mandatory vaccines can't happen until at least one gets full approval. We are in a holding position right now.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
we can't move forward unless we implement mandatory vaccines. Sure, us vaccinated folks can do what we want, but we also gotta think abut how the plague of the unvaccinated impacts healthcare and other areas of infrastructure. Mandatory vaccines can't happen until at least one gets full approval. We are in a holding position right now.
When the vaccines will gets full approval soon?

Heppenheimer

Changing tack...

I'll link the article when I'm on my computer, but it looks like at least one pharmaceutical company is developing a COVID nasal spray vaccine. The intention is to stimulate secretory antibodies in the nasal mucosa, because this is where the coronavirus most often enters the body.

The article did not mention if this will serve as an adjunct or an alternative to the existing vaccines, but I imagine the former case is more likely. Also no mention on the mechanism of the vaccine, which is currently in stage I clinical trials.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Meanwhile, in the United States we had our two best new case days of the entire month this weekend

View attachment 573356
Does this mean anything? Who knows but for the first time in nearly a month the seven day average is going down.

To come back to this, it looks like the CDC updated their totals and perhaps there was a data issue -

IMG_4A875B4D0F39-1.jpeg

Trauma

What makes you think once they have full approval we will move towards mandatory vaccines.

Everyone keeps telling me it’s impossible.

Flugell

@Flugell, I know you disagree with me, but how can you defend what’s happening right now? Nightclubs heaving with unvaccinated people? Airport officials told not to check the status of incoming travellers? There comes a point where political affiliations shouldn’t matter anymore—I would gladly criticise any government, left or right, for such dereliction of duty.
Yes I do disagree with many of the things you post but agree with many as well. Regarding nightclubs I tend to agree with you. They should have remained closed until all over 18’s have had the chance to be vaccinated and then proof of vaccination required as the government has announced will happen in September. Perhaps I need to add that I’ve never been in a night club and at the age of 63 feel that it’s unlikely to happen now so don’t understand how they work or what the attraction is!

As for the airport officials, the article you cited comes from a newspaper that I have always found to be utterly biased and largely unreliable from an impartial perspective. (e.g. Their education coverage, from my personal experience of teaching for over 30 years is always very far from the truth.)

It was an “exclusive “ and from an anonymous source, which always rings alarm bells for me.

Having researched further it would appear that the article possibly contains an element of truth. However according to the Financial Times it appears that there is a new electronic system in place that allows customs, passport officials, immigration officials to be informed if there is a problem.

Whether this will prove to happen and be effective remains to be seen.

No one in the world has got everything right and the true tragedy is that every new change from lockdown and mandates impacts on lives and deaths. People are all too aware if they need to quarantine or test if they return from abroad and if they follow the rules then border checks shouldn’t be required. I share your lack of faith that this will happen 100% of the time.

The main reason I support the actions the government is taking in continuing to unlock are as follows.:-
1. The question if not now, when?
2. The weather is better so more events will naturally occur outside.
3. Most schools have broken up so that reduces a lot of potential spread.
4. Our vaccination rates are good and continuing to improve.
5. The most important, infection rates are depressingly high and although hospitalisations are increasing, deaths are surprisingly low. Any death should be avoided and mourned and today was high but a Monday is never reflective of daily numbers-Saturday and Sunday are always low and the undercount is included on Monday.
6. My husband is immunocompromised so we are continuing to remain isolated so I suppose that personally it has little to no impact on us directly but according to friends and my son, most people are still wearing masks when they would have done before! Estimated between 80 and 90%. The large supermarkets are still requesting people to do so as are many servers in pubs.
7. Free tests are available to everyone to use at home, supplied in packs of seven and available from many shops, libraries, sports centres or through the NHS website and delivered through the post within 2 days. Pop up vaccination and testing centres are in high areas of infection and do not require appointments.

I have no idea, just like everyone else, including Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer whether this is the correct way to go but I have far more faith in Boris than his opponent. I realise that this is a personal decision just as yours is to disagree. The good thing is that we both fundamentally want what is best for the U.K. (England.)

Like you I would call out a government of any political party if I felt they were in dereliction of duty. If it appears that we need to go back into “lockdown” and it doesn’t happen then I may consider changing my allegiance, though would have to be massively persuaded!

However the dereliction of duty seems to be more apparent in the USA where states have mandated that proof of vaccination cannot be requested and people are in favour of bribery for vaccinations.

DisneyCane

It is not common sense for a virus to cluster 10 miles away from the lab it supposedly accidentally escaped from. Lay people think "that's close." Infectious disease people know it's too far. The early cases radiate from a central point, and it's not the lab.
Unless a person who worked in the lab got infected accidentally and spread it to the nearby community. I think that is the theory more than some virus got out of the window.

LittleBuford

Yes I do disagree with many of the things you post but agree with many as well. Regarding nightclubs I tend to agree with you. They should have remained closed until all over 18’s have had the chance to be vaccinated and then proof of vaccination required as the government has announced will happen in September. Perhaps I need to add that I’ve never been in a night club and at the age of 63 feel that it’s unlikely to happen now so don’t understand how they work or what the attraction is!

As for the airport officials, the article you cited comes from a newspaper that I have always found to be utterly biased and largely unreliable from an impartial perspective. (e.g. Their education coverage, from my personal experience of teaching for over 30 years is always very far from the truth.)

It was an “exclusive “ and from an anonymous source, which always rings alarm bells for me.

Having researched further it would appear that the article possibly contains an element of truth. However according to the Financial Times it appears that there is a new electronic system in place that allows customs, passport officials, immigration officials to be informed if there is a problem.

Whether this will prove to happen and be effective remains to be seen.

No one in the world has got everything right and the true tragedy is that every new change from lockdown and mandates impacts on lives and deaths. People are all too aware if they need to quarantine or test if they return from abroad and if they follow the rules then border checks shouldn’t be required. I share your lack of faith that this will happen 100% of the time.

The main reason I support the actions the government is taking in continuing to unlock are as follows.:-
1. The question if not now, when?
2. The weather is better so more events will naturally occur outside.
3. Most schools have broken up so that reduces a lot of potential spread.
4. Our vaccination rates are good and continuing to improve.
5. The most important, infection rates are depressingly high and although hospitalisations are increasing, deaths are surprisingly low. Any death should be avoided and mourned and today was high but a Monday is never reflective of daily numbers-Saturday and Sunday are always low and the undercount is included on Monday.
6. My husband is immunocompromised so we are continuing to remain isolated so I suppose that personally it has little to no impact on us directly but according to friends and my son, most people are still wearing masks when they would have done before! Estimated between 80 and 90%. The large supermarkets are still requesting people to do so as are many servers in pubs.
7. Free tests are available to everyone to use at home, supplied in packs of seven and available from many shops, libraries, sports centres or through the NHS website and delivered through the post within 2 days. Pop up vaccination and testing centres are in high areas of infection and do not require appointments.

I have no idea, just like everyone else, including Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer whether this is the correct way to go but I have far more faith in Boris than his opponent. I realise that this is a personal decision just as yours is to disagree. The good thing is that we both fundamentally want what is best for the U.K. (England.)

Like you I would call out a government of any political party if I felt they were in dereliction of duty. If it appears that we need to go back into “lockdown” and it doesn’t happen then I may consider changing my allegiance, though would have to be massively persuaded!

However the dereliction of duty seems to be more apparent in the USA where states have mandated that proof of vaccination cannot be requested and people are in favour of bribery for vaccinations.
Thank you for your response.

I hope you’ll forgive me for keeping this relatively brief, but for me, it really boils down to the first of your questions: “If not now, when?” My answer: Not when cases are skyrocketing, not before medical experts and NHS workers think it’s appropriate, and most certainly not until every adult in England who wants to be vaccinated has had that opportunity. “Freedom Day” (a cynical and gimmicky name befitting Johnson’s shabby theatrics) is premature by any sensible measure. It needn’t have been this way, and the result is going to be more cases, more illness, and more death. For a government to go ahead with this knowing what lies in store is unconscionable, though hardly surprising given the recent revelations from Cummings (and yes, he is to believed—Downing Street has issued no denial of his claims).

Flugell

I’m sorry that your husband hasn’t been able to see his family. I very much empathise—in all likelihood, I won’t be seeing mine before this Christmas, after a gap of almost two years.
Sorry too to both of you but it isn’t just because you’re in the USA! We haven’t seen our younger son, who lives in Cardiff (Wales) since Christmas 2020 because of different rules, his holiday allowance and our elder son catching Covid (fortunately mildly) at the time he was due to visit!
Hopefully that will change on the 15th August!

BrianLo

Is now the time for us to accept that Americans imported COVID-19 to America (via Western Europe) and it was Americans that proceeded to spread COVID-19 across America, because American's proved inept at recognizing and testing for something that had already been sequenced and warned about, well prior to said event?

Almost nothing suggests the US would have capably warned the world any earlier. The lack of accountability is a cop-out. Given the tools they still managed to prevent almost nothing. The US was not a first wave country (China), it was not the second wave countries (S. Korea, Japan, Iran), it was not the third wave countries (Western Europe)... it was the fourth.

They certainly failed to warn Canada, our entire first wave was driven by under-recognition of how wide spread COVID-19 was in the NE US. Our fatal error was not closing the US border sooner; but still we have our own accountability to live up to. Blaming another country doesn't remove how we too dropped the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom