Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Two things;

1) I'd say "anti-vax" is a spectrum. On one end is the conspiracy theorists, but on the other there's the side that doesn't think getting a COVID vaccine is important or necessary. That the disease and its variants are no big deal. It's where I'd put most Americans under 30 now that most COVID rules have been dropped.

2) being "anti-vax" cuts across political divide. You can pick and chose any narrative you want to justify not getting one.
There are something like 12 individuals behind the vast majority of anti-vaccine information out there...they're making money off it. (This is even before you take COVID and COVID vaccines into account.)

Disney Analyst

Two things;

1) I'd say "anti-vax" is a spectrum. On one end is the conspiracy theorists, but on the other there's the side that doesn't think getting a COVID vaccine is important or necessary. That the disease and its variants are no big deal. It's where I'd put most Americans under 30 now that most COVID rules have been dropped.

2) being "anti-vax" cuts across political divide. You can pick and chose any narrative you want to justify not getting one.

I do think that those who are legitimately anti-vax are actually doing evil work right now, and pulling more and more people off the path of vaccination, people who aren’t necessarily anti-vaccine.

Trauma

Wasn’t that the @DisneyCane method for covid last year? (Substitute vacinated for unhealthy / old people)
So nothing has changed from last year to this year?

I thought we had a vaccine that people can choose to take.

What I learned last year is masks and social distancing only slow the spread not stop it.

Again I believe that all unvaccinated people will catch covid at some point.

What are we trying to accomplish?

havoc315

I’m just asking this because I have no idea.

If we just let delta freaking rip no mitigation’s what so ever.

If your not vaccinated good luck to you.

Will it not spread fast enough for herd immunity?

Probably not. But unknown.

When I was a kid, we would have chicken pox parties: intentionally exposing to chicken pox, to build immunity.

If we let Delta burn through the population without mitigation.. it would burn at a high rate. But you wouldn’t force people to get exposed. Lots of people still wouldn’t obtain immunity immediately.
and when disease spreads in huge numbers, that’s when we get newer variants, with the potential to push us to square one.

Brazil is an example of a country that never did any serious mitigation. It’s still no where close to herd immunity. It’s not impossible that you’d reach herd immunity With heavy reliance on natural acquired immunity but it’s unlikely.

hopemax

I just don’t get why we don’t have another stimulus for the vaccinated.

Even if we didn’t care at all about people’s health or the loss of life, the long term financial damage this virus is causing will be much greater than the overall cost of just bribing everyone to get vaccinated.
At this point, those that "don't get why" things that require passage in the US Senate don't happen are also engaging in willful ignorance.

In order to get elected in certain areas you can not A. believe COVID is a problem. B. support vaccination C. support stimulus

Trauma

Probably not. But unknown.

When I was a kid, we would have chicken pox parties: intentionally exposing to chicken pox, to build immunity.

If we let Delta burn through the population without mitigation.. it would burn at a high rate. But you wouldn’t force people to get exposed. Lots of people still wouldn’t obtain immunity immediately.
and when disease spreads in huge numbers, that’s when we get newer variants, with the potential to push us to square one.

Brazil is an example of a country that never did any serious mitigation. It’s still no where close to herd immunity. It’s not impossible that you’d reach herd immunity With heavy reliance on natural acquired immunity but it’s unlikely.
Ok but we also have a large group that obtained vaccinated immunity.

We are not Brazil.

What’s your endgame plan?

Let’s assume the overwhelming majority of the unvaccinated will choose to remain that way.

How do we end this?

You know masking and social distancing and all that other stuff will not work.

The people who choose to not get vaccinated are not going to follow the rules.

They do not care.

It’s going to spread it can’t be stopped.

I know I’m going to get blasted but I’m sorry it’s all theater at this point.

The overwhelming majority of people who care enough to follow the rules are already vaccinated.

I see absolutely no way to stop this short of somehow forcing vaccines.

You mask all you want but your already vaccinated.

Go tell your neighbor who is not vaccinated to mask up and he will tell you where you can stick it.

This is silly we can’t fix stupid.

ImperfectPixie

That is a far more dangerous path.
No, the more dangerous path is to continue allowing the falsehoods to spread with no repercussions for those who started it to begin with. We're all reaping what they sowed as we speak.

ETA: Let me tell you how great it feels to be told that I caused my sons' autism by having them vaccinated against dangerous diseases...

ETA 2: Yes, I know that isn't true. But it still hurts to be accused.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
huh? I don't see anything about 500,000 cases per day in the thread of our conversation. I said we won't reach herd immunity. You said "We will get there eventually."
You cited natural immunity -- And yes, natural immunity with people getting infected over multiple years will NOT achieve herd immunity, because indeed, such immunity wanes over time and provides limited protection to newer variants.
Yes -- It doesn't work that way -- where people who had a mild Wuhan strain infection in March 2020 would still have strong immunity against Delta in July 2021 -- How is 15 months with new variants "just a few months."

Lay it on the table... We already have 1 bet: You bet 70% of adults will be vaccinated by end of July, I said no. (Right now, it's looking like it will be close but under 70% by end of July).
So now bet #2 -- I said we won't get to herd immunity, we missed the window. So are you now betting that we will reach true herd immunity?
You like to move goal posts -- I said we won't reach herd immunity. You said, "we will get there eventually." So going to stick to that goal post, will we reach true herd immunity?
Pay attention to the thread. In the post you are quoting I said specifically that if the delta and future variant were as bad as people are making them out we would reach herd immunity. I in no way think they are anywhere near as bad as the doom and gloom crowd. Go back and read the thread, there’s a guy claiming the US will be at 500,000 cases a day in 2 weeks. I said if that happened we would reach herd immunity a lot faster. I don’t think that we will come anywhere close to that level.

So either things get really bad and lots of people are infected, which helps accelerate herd immunity or things don’t get that bad so we maintain the status quo and covid continues longer. Once kids under 12 get approved we will get to 70%+ of the total population vaccinated and then we add in natural infections. If cases surge we could hit herd immunity faster and if cases really don’t surge and/or continue down does it even matter then.

It‘s pretty silly to want to make a bet about about herd immunity. As far as 70% by the end of July I will remind you that you said we wouldn‘t hit 70% before Fall and I said we‘d make it by the end of July. We are about on pace for end of July but even if it’s slightly longer we will for sure be there well before the Fall.

Angel Ariel

Accordingly to the CDC .01 percent of children infected have died of corona virus.

They have a infinitely greater chance of dying from day to day things that may be out of your control like a drunk driver or a shark attack.

As i already said - my child is a medical unicorn, so stats mean nothing to me. She has a condition that occurs in 0.0000038961% of people on earth.

There are 25-30 million americans - just americans - with rare disorders, many of them children. There was an infinitely greater chance of these people having more common afflictions as well, and yet. slowing the spread for a few more months until all have access to a vaccine is worth it. Pfizer was indicating asking for EUA for 5-11 by September, and all by the end of the year.

and no, I’m not suggesting lock down either - just continuation of indoor masking, distancing where possible.

correcaminos

The regular school year ended in the 3rd week of June. This is extended school year for special needs kids (these are all kids that have been wearing masks until recently.)
Gotcha! Was totally curious. Our school offered a bunch of summer programs to those who wanted or needed. Wasn't sure if this was a whole school thing or not!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
As i already said - my child is a medical unicorn, so stats mean nothing to me. She has a condition that occurs in 0.0000038961% of people on earth.

There are 25-30 million americans - just americans - with rare disorders, many of them children. There was an infinitely greater chance of these people having more common afflictions as well, and yet. slowing the spread for a few more months until all have access to a vaccine is worth it. Pfizer was indicating asking for EUA for 5-11 by September, and all by the end of the year.

and no, I’m not suggesting lock down either - just continuation of indoor masking, distancing where possible.
is NJ and NY are already 70% vaccinated already as fall comes, NY and NJ will be safe for now.....

ImperfectPixie

Gotcha! Was totally curious. Our school offered a bunch of summer programs to those who wanted or needed. Wasn't sure if this was a whole school thing or not!
Nope...not even close to whole school...town-wide, yes, and kids from all the elementary schools in town (there are 8 elementary schools) attend the same program in the same building. And it's STILL a VERY small program. They offer it every year for those special needs kids who teachers/parents are worried that they may lose ground if they have the entire summer off. It's only 3 days per week for 4 weeks.

Trauma

So the whole country should modify their behavior because of your self described medical unicorn?

Isn’t it much easier for you to keep your daughter at home and fully mitigate the risk?

After all mitigation’s are no big deal and it’s only a few months right?

Angel Ariel

So nothing has changed from last year to this year?

I thought we had a vaccine that people can choose to take.

What I learned last year is masks and social distancing only slow the spread not stop it.

Again I believe that all unvaccinated people will catch covid at some point.

What are we trying to accomplish?
That choice is not available to all as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom