Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

1. Vaccine Passports would be held up in courts for years, and require the government to create a major website from scratch. Not to mention the quite literal violent outburst this would cause. Were a democracy and unfortunately a majority of our fellow citizens do not share our opinion.

2. The state vaccine lottos showed no discernible increase in vaccines over time, how is more money going to do the same?

The only way is by force, and doing so from a government level is politically impossible. Hopefully, once the FDA fully approves them, many companies will require it as a condition of employment and/or charge a huge premium on insurance and require onerous rules (masks, frequent testing, etc) that bring numbers higher but I doubt it. This is a negative of a free society, but I’m willing to deal with it for the benefits it provides.
Most people don’t think they are going to win the vaccine lotto.

If every person knew for sure they would receive $1500 if they where vaccinated you would see some pretty amazing results.

havoc315

Sorry but saying the vaccines only last a few months is saying they aren’t effective. The vast majority of Americans have been vaccinated in the last 6 months so if we all need boosters now then the vaccines last less than 6 months.

Nobody said vaccines only last a "few" months, only that the evidence shows efficacy wanes over time. Nobody said we need boosters NOW. Pay attention. It's an issue of recognizing that we will need boosters later. It's an issue of having an honest and rational discussion about the evidence and facts, not extremist blindness.

Disney Glimpses

I chose to exit this conversation some time ago due to conflicting opinions, but I do have to interject here.

I find it utterly perplexing the government has written multiple stimulus checks in the order of trillions of dollars and has made the decision to not make vaccination a component of eligibility. Truly, truly perplexing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nobody said we need boosters NOW. Pay attention. It's an issue of recognizing that we will need boosters later.
In response to the other guy saying we will be at 500,000 cases a day in 2 weeks I said that if that really happened once kids under 12 were approved and vaccinated we would have reached a very high collective level of immunity from both natural infection and vaccination. Between now and then around another 20%+ of the population would be infected on top of the vaccinated and already naturally immune. You said it doesn’t work that way and the immunity from both vaccines and natural immunity will have faded by then.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
In response to the other guy saying we will be at 500,000 cases a day in 2 weeks I said that if that really happened once kids under 12 were approved and vaccinated we would have reached a very high collective level of immunity from both natural infection and vaccination. Between now and then around another 20%+ of the population would be infected on top of the vaccinated and already naturally immune. You said it doesn’t work that way and the immunity from both vaccines and natural immunity will have faded by then.
@GoofGoof I'm scared about mask mandate returning soon by fall.....:eek: Is the cases will go down lower soon as FDA approval vaccines for kids under 6-12 years?

Jrb1979

I always knew America had a hefty anti-vaccination group, but I truly never thought they’d have enough reach and strength to infiltrate so many with misinformation and doubt. Because of that machine, only 55% of Americans have at least 1 dose. It’s shocking.

What happened to America?
It's what happens when people are consistently told Covid is an old persons virus.

Trauma

Are you more scared about wearing a mask or people dying?
This line of reasoning gets to me.

The overwhelming majority of people who are going to die are not vaccinated.

It seems nothing is going to change their mind.

No matter how much we mask they will catch it eventually.

Everyone masking to protect the unvaccinated only slows the spread.

In the end they will face the consequences.

Maybe it’s today maybe it’s 5 months from now.

It’s going to happen masks no masks doesn’t matter.

Get your shot or catch covid and roll the dice.

correcaminos

Fortunately the class sizes during extended school year are VERY small. If there's 5 or 6 kids per class, I'd be surprised.

Even still...these kids are too young to be vaccinated still. It kills me that SO MANY parents are teaching their kids that breaking rules is okay.
How long until you all are done with the school year? Totally curious.

There are times when I am quite glad my kid was vaccinated this summer. Less worry for fall. Our school district did not remove masks until after the year ended. Though anyone, and they mean anyone, who wants to wear is welcome and protected from being made to feel bad for wearing.

That just made everything easier for me, but not so much for elementary students.

I'm very proud to see so many kids choose to be vaccinated. We had conversations about it last fall even when they were asking for 12+ for the trial (opted no due to schedules) and I think it's good that kids are learning and choosing based on information given to them.

Of course not all kids get same opportunities as well. And yes, I'll admit to being a hypocrite and saying those choosing not to based on poor information sadden me (adults really, not kids).

As for some of the how long immunity talk, I'm not willing to shut the door on the discussion. Studies are very encouraging for sure. We have no facts for certain and always there will be exceptions absolutely, but I am not comfortable saying yes or no to some of those yet. The studies are encouraging though both with vaccinated and naturally immune

havoc315

huh? I don't see anything about 500,000 cases per day in the thread of our conversation. I said we won't reach herd immunity. You said "We will get there eventually."
You cited natural immunity -- And yes, natural immunity with people getting infected over multiple years will NOT achieve herd immunity, because indeed, such immunity wanes over time and provides limited protection to newer variants.
Yes -- It doesn't work that way -- where people who had a mild Wuhan strain infection in March 2020 would still have strong immunity against Delta in July 2021 -- How is 15 months with new variants "just a few months."

Lay it on the table... We already have 1 bet: You bet 70% of adults will be vaccinated by end of July, I said no. (Right now, it's looking like it will be close but under 70% by end of July).
So now bet #2 -- I said we won't get to herd immunity, we missed the window. So are you now betting that we will reach true herd immunity?
You like to move goal posts -- I said we won't reach herd immunity. You said, "we will get there eventually." So going to stick to that goal post, will we reach true herd immunity?

Animaniac93-98

I always knew America had a hefty anti-vaccination group, but I truly never thought they’d have enough reach and strength to infiltrate so many with misinformation and doubt. Because of that machine, only 55% of Americans have at least 1 dose. It’s shocking.

What happened to America?

Two things;

1) I'd say "anti-vax" is a spectrum. On one end is the conspiracy theorists, but on the other there's the side that doesn't think getting a COVID vaccine is important or necessary. That the disease and its variants are no big deal. It's where I'd put most Americans under 30 now that most COVID rules have been dropped.

2) being "anti-vax" cuts across political divide. You can pick and chose any narrative you want to justify not getting one.

ImperfectPixie

How long until you all are done with the school year? Totally curious.

There are times when I am quite glad my kid was vaccinated this summer. Less worry for fall. Our school district did not remove masks until after the year ended. Though anyone, and they mean anyone, who wants to wear is welcome and protected from being made to feel bad for wearing.

That just made everything easier for me, but not so much for elementary students.

I'm very proud to see so many kids choose to be vaccinated. We had conversations about it last fall even when they were asking for 12+ for the trial (opted no due to schedules) and I think it's good that kids are learning and choosing based on information given to them.

Of course not all kids get same opportunities as well. And yes, I'll admit to being a hypocrite and saying those choosing not to based on poor information sadden me (adults really, not kids).

As for some of the how long immunity talk, I'm not willing to shut the door on the discussion. Studies are very encouraging for sure. We have no facts for certain and always there will be exceptions absolutely, but I am not comfortable saying yes or no to some of those yet. The studies are encouraging though both with vaccinated and naturally immune
The regular school year ended in the 3rd week of June. This is extended school year for special needs kids (these are all kids that have been wearing masks until recently.)

Trauma

huh? I don't see anything about 500,000 cases per day in the thread of our conversation. I said we won't reach herd immunity. You said "We will get there eventually."
You cited natural immunity -- And yes, natural immunity with people getting infected over multiple years will NOT achieve herd immunity, because indeed, such immunity wanes over time and provides limited protection to newer variants.
Yes -- It doesn't work that way -- where people who had a mild Wuhan strain infection in March 2020 would still have strong immunity against Delta in July 2021 -- How is 15 months with new variants "just a few months."

Lay it on the table... We already have 1 bet: You bet 70% of adults will be vaccinated by end of July, I said no. (Right now, it's looking like it will be close but under 70% by end of July).
So now bet #2 -- I said we won't get to herd immunity, we missed the window. So are you now betting that we will reach true herd immunity?
You like to move goal posts -- I said we won't reach herd immunity. You said, "we will get there eventually." So going to stick to that goal post, will we reach true herd immunity?
I’m just asking this because I have no idea.

If we just let delta freaking rip no mitigation’s what so ever.

If your not vaccinated good luck to you.

Will it not spread fast enough for herd immunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom