Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good grief everyone here always jumping to point out when vaccines become 1% less effective but no one can come to the conclusion that maybe masks don’t work as well against delta?

That’s all I’m saying.

Wouldn’t you want to know this if you really don’t want to catch it?

If your immunocompromised shouldn’t you have some idea how risky it is for you to leave the house?
It is a valid question. I still think masks are better than nothing and since we dropped masks a lot of places it will be harder to study. Your point is a very valid about the vaccines. Some people look for any shred of evidence they are less effective to highlight even while saying they believe in the vaccines. Strange narrative to cling to but who am I to judge at this point. Like a lot of things with Covid…it is what it is 🤔

Trauma

It is a valid question. I still think masks are better than nothing and since we dropped masks a lot of places it will be harder to study. Your point is a very valid about the vaccines. Some people look for any shred of evidence they are less effective to highlight even while saying they believe in the vaccines. Strange narrative to cling to but who am I to judge at this point. Like a lot of things with Covid…it is what it is 🤔
100% agree.

For sure masks are better than nothing.

I just hope that delta isn’t so infectious that people are getting a false sense of security when wearing one.

I think delta is going to rip thru this country.

Please just go get your shot if you haven’t already.

It’s the ultimate mask.

Epcotbob

Honestly, if you believe this new narrative that the vaccines only last months and natural immunity fades fast I agree 100%. If that’s the case we just need to learn to live with Covid and as long as hospitals aren’t overrun we’re good. I don’t believe that’s reality at all, but if it is then yes there’s little point in any of it.

There are a number of studies that show that Natural Immunity may be very effective and last for many years after infection:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
100% agree.

For sure masks are better than nothing.

I just hope that delta isn’t so infectious that people are getting a false sense of security when wearing one.

I think delta is going to rip thru this country.

Please just go get your shot if you haven’t already.

It’s the ultimate mask.
Who’s wearing one anymore??? The people who need to most are unvaccinated people. Outside of children under 12 I don’t see a lot of the unvaccinated in masks anymore. My anecdotal observations may be skewed considering where I live we have a very high vaccination rate so those left unvaccinated are mostly on a political mission. I’m curious to know if in communities with lower vaccination rates are the people who are not opposed to the vaccine but just haven’t gotten it yet still wearing masks? My guess is no, but I have no evidence to support that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are a number of studies that show that Natural Immunity may be very effective and last for many years after infection:

Agreed. I‘ve seen those studies and I am very encouraged by it. It’s funny how I get accused of being overly optimistic and “not following the science” when a lot of the actual science and the CDC both say immunity is not fading. 1 study out of Israel claims that the vaccines are less effective vs delta and has included that maybe it’s because the immunity from vaccines is fading.

ImperfectPixie

I have yet to see any kid under 12 wearing a mask other than my own 10-year-old.

This includes at the supermarket, out and about around town, and on a school bus (in both the morning and afternoon). My son says there are *some* kids wearing them while at school, but not all.

Trauma

I have yet to see any kid under 12 wearing a mask other than my own 10-year-old.

This includes at the supermarket, out and about around town, and on a school bus (in both the morning and afternoon). My son says there are *some* kids wearing them while at school, but not all.
My daughter knows the risks of covid I made sure she read the reports.

She is fully vaccinated (her choice) and chooses not to mask ( also her choice).

I have to admit I’m a rather proud parent, to me those decisions are better than all the A’s she brings home.

Touchdown

The worst case scenario is by definition not ridiculous, as it is a possible, able to be deduced outcome a bit an unlikely one. Leaders should plan for these scenarios, but we the average citizens don’t. At least until a time comes when it’s likely. There is nothing you can do on an individual level, so just wait.

Also to all of you claiming politics, ask yourself if the other party was in power would the response be any different? It wouldn’t, ergo it’s not a political coverup because covering it up provides no political advantage. I have a much higher belief that if/when the time comes to alert citizens and bring back some restrictions this government will.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It’s a mixed bag around here. Certain activities still require it so full compliance. My kids went to a VR place the other day and it still required everyone wear a mask but I think the primary reason is that so many customers are under 12. Outdoor activities is near zero. School in the Fall should be interesting.

ImperfectPixie

It’s a mixed bag around here. Certain activities still require it so full compliance. My kids went to a VR place the other day and it still required everyone wear a mask but I think the primary reason is that so many customers are under 12. Outdoor activities is near zero. School in the Fall should be interesting.
Fortunately the class sizes during extended school year are VERY small. If there's 5 or 6 kids per class, I'd be surprised.

Even still...these kids are too young to be vaccinated still. It kills me that SO MANY parents are teaching their kids that breaking rules is okay.

Trauma

The worst case scenario is by definition not ridiculous, as it is a possible, able to be deduced outcome a bit an unlikely one. Leaders should plan for these scenarios, but we the average citizens don’t. At least until a time comes when it’s likely. There is nothing you can do on an individual level, so just wait.

Also to all of you claiming politics, ask yourself if the other party was in power would the response be any different? It wouldn’t, ergo it’s not a political coverup because covering it up provides no political advantage. I have a much higher belief that if/when the time comes to alert citizens and bring back some restrictions this government will.
I held my nose and voted for this government in the hopes they would do whatever it takes to end this virus.

So far they have fallen far short of my expectations.

They could end this thing quickly thru any number of ways, like vaccine passports or another stimulus for those who are vaccinated.

So far they have lacked the willpower to do so.

If this thing turns into a worse case scenario I will put the blame where it belongs.

On those who had the power to act and only took half measures instead of bold actions.

sullyinMT

Who’s wearing one anymore??? The people who need to most are unvaccinated people. Outside of children under 12 I don’t see a lot of the unvaccinated in masks anymore. My anecdotal observations may be skewed considering where I live we have a very high vaccination rate so those left unvaccinated are mostly on a political mission. I’m curious to know if in communities with lower vaccination rates are the people who are not opposed to the vaccine but just haven’t gotten it yet still wearing masks? My guess is no, but I have no evidence to support that.
Around here, the few people I still see in masks could be waiting on a vaccine, or waiting out the course + 2 weeks. Some of them I see shopping with their elderly family/friends. Or maybe their immune compromised or still shell/shocked. The way our vaccinations have stalled, I assume they’re already vaccinated (or well on their way) and still cautious for whatever reason - not the waiting unvaccinated crowd.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I held my nose and voted for this government in the hopes they would do whatever it takes to end this virus.

So far they have fallen far short of my expectations.

They could end this thing quickly thru any number of ways, like vaccine passports or another stimulus for those who are vaccinated.

So far they have lacked the willpower to do so.

If this thing turns into a worse case scenario I will put the blame where it belongs.

On those who had the power to act and only took half measures instead of bold actions.
The problem is that the states have more power over mandates and rules. Go back and take a look at which states did what and it's easy to see where the big issues lie.

Touchdown

1. Vaccine Passports would be held up in courts for years, and require the government to create a major website from scratch. Not to mention the quite literal violent outburst this would cause. Were a democracy and unfortunately a majority of our fellow citizens do not share our opinion.

2. The state vaccine lottos showed no discernible increase in vaccines over time, how is more money going to do the same?

The only way is by force, and doing so from a government level is politically impossible. Hopefully, once the FDA fully approves them, many companies will require it as a condition of employment and/or charge a huge premium on insurance and require onerous rules (masks, frequent testing, etc) that bring numbers higher but I doubt it. This is a negative of a free society, but I’m willing to deal with it for the benefits it provides.

ImperfectPixie

1. Vaccine Passports would be held up in courts for years, and require the government to create a major website from scratch. Not to mention the quite literal violent outburst this would cause. Were a democracy and unfortunately a majority of our fellow citizens do not share our opinion.

2. The state vaccine lottos showed no discernible increase in vaccines over time, how is more money going to do the same?

The only way is by force, and doing so from a government level is politically impossible. Hopefully, once the FDA fully approves them, many companies will require it as a condition of employment and/or charge a huge premium on insurance and require onerous rules (masks, frequent testing, etc) that bring numbers higher but I doubt it. This is a negative of a free society in which education isn't a priority, but I’m willing to deal with it for the benefits it provides.
FIFY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom