Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

If you introduced vaccine passports to get into certain venues like sports events, music events, theme parks, holidays etc - then you could prop that figure up higher. Not sure offering a lottery ticket or some burgers is going to swing it, and instead comes across as patronising.
Maybe some sort of stimulus more than $100 or do might work. People just whine and not go when vaccines are required from what I've seen too.

Wendy Pleakley

The son I mentioned is 10 and has moderate autism...if he can grasp it, anyone can. The number of parents of children I've seen making excuses throughout this whole thing is really sad and pathetic. Parents need to stop worrying about being liked and do their dang job.

That's a key point, that kids aren't making this decision, the parents are. Parents are responsible for ensuring their kids are safe and are following the rules.

As an adult, I can choose to take certain risks and if I get sick, I am responsible. I understand kids are low risk for serious impacts from COVID, but if they do get sick and face long-term impacts, it will be due to a choice made for them on their behalf, in many cases.

It reminds me of a conversation I had online with someone who stuffs their kids shoes to get past height requirements. Their logic was they "would do anything for their kids" which apparently to them meant breaking the rules and putting their kids at risk. The opposite of a parent's job.

GimpYancIent

If you introduced vaccine passports to get into certain venues like sports events, music events, theme parks, holidays etc - then you could prop that figure up higher. Not sure offering a lottery ticket or some burgers is going to swing it, and instead comes across as patronising.
Enough with the vaccine passport mumbo jumbo talking point. The vaccination cards are fine. The penalizing of people who do not carry special proof of vaccination via a special app on their personal electronic device is not right. It has been debated at the lowest and highest levels plus everything in between.

peter11435

Enough with the vaccine passport mumbo jumbo talking point. The vaccination cards are fine. The penalizing of people who do not carry special proof of vaccination via a special app on their personal electronic device is not right. It has been debated at the lowest and highest levels plus everything in between.
I’m curious. You said the “vaccination cards are fine.” But what exactly is the point of a vaccination card if having one or not having one is irrelevant in every facet of life?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are you saying out of the total population? Because Canada is over 34% fully vaccinated now and will hit 40% of 12+ today.
Yes, total population per the Bloomberg tracker is 19.5%
2650D833-59CD-4825-8211-81385F43AA3F.png

Animaniac93-98

GimpYancIent

I’m curious. You said the “vaccination cards are fine.” But what exactly is the point of a vaccination card if having one or not having one is irrelevant in every facet of life?
Every facet of life? Interest about anyone being vaccinated against any illness was limited to specific circumstances such as some jobs and school. Things like shows, movies, stadiums, athletic events like road races NO. There are some limited times (like crossing international borders) where verification of vaccination has been requested and even then only some times. Now suddenly it's every facet of life? The vaccine passport concept had its moment and now its passed.

peter11435

Every facet of life? Interest about anyone being vaccinated against any illness was limited to specific circumstances such as some jobs and school. Things like shows, movies, stadiums, athletic events like road races NO. There are some limited times (like crossing international borders) where verification of vaccination has been requested and even then only some times. Now suddenly it's every facet of life? The vaccine passport concept had its moment and now its passed.
I don’t think you understood my question. Or at least you didn’t attempt to answer it.

GimpYancIent

I don’t think you understood my question. Or at least you didn’t attempt to answer it.
I guess we are speaking past each other, communicating but not communicating, no issues. I said enough, I wish you a good day. Wait a a minute I believe it appropriate to wish you a Magical Day.

robhedin

Ah.. so instead of answering the question you’re just going to exit with an insult. Great way to debate.
The utility of the vaccine card is to 1. Identify that you took an approved for emergency use only vaccine; 2. The agency administering it; 3. When you took it; and 4. The lot numbers. All of this is useful if there is an issue (eg a location giving out expired vaccines, or a particular kit having an issue) but has no bearing on being able to do anything else. (Ie “every facet of life”)

peter11435

The utility of the vaccine card is to 1. Identify that you took an approved for emergency use only vaccine; 2. The agency administering it; 3. When you took it; and 4. The lot numbers. All of this is useful if there is an issue (eg a location giving out expired vaccines, or a particular kit having an issue) but has no bearing on being able to do anything else. (Ie “every facet of life”)
Correct. I’m aware of the purpose of the vaccine card. My question was why the poster claimed the card was fine and seemed to be saying that it was good enough so we didn't need a vaccine passport. The vaccine card is important and has valid purpose. I’m not saying we should have a vaccine passport system but the vaccine card is not a replacement.

Last edited:

Yodascousin

Or you needlesly have a peak now, risk new variants, inflict herd immunity on a population without knowing if Herd immunity is a thing,
But we WILL have a peak regardless of when we open up that’s the nature of how viruses work an exit wave will happen at some point so let’s do it now when the NHS isn’t under pressure from other seasonal viruses rather then the winter when the outcome will be much worse. Plus herd immunity is a thing we are doing it through vaccination that’s why we are lifting on July 19th when everyone has had a jab

Rich Brownn

Last numbers I saw, a low flu year would be less deadly. So far this is about the same as an average flu year. I wouldn't say kids are much more likely to die of the flu. That's an argument people use I think to justify not masking. I do flu shots for my kid and family to help protect. I did the same with covid.

Some who are vaccinated do not have the best immune systems so the vaccine may not work well. You can get covid if vaccinated and if you are higher risk, it can be more of a flu like or bad cold as even seen here....

Just because your son and kids were lucky means all are. People act like the pandemic is over - it's not. There needs to be some responsibility by non-vaccinated. I do not see it enough locally. My state is not even 50% vaccinated. That's really bad!
1) At its peak the flu killed about 10% of Americans vrs Covid in one year 2) This year the flu has been extraordinarly low in cases, probably due to safeguards put in place for Covid

2019-20: A total of 19,845 lab-confirmed flu-associated hospitalizations were reported by FluSurv-NET sites between Oct. 1, 2019, and April 11, 2020, with a cumulative hospitalization rate of 68.3 per 100,000 population.

2020-21: FluSurv-NET sites in 14 states reported 223 lab-confirmed flu hospitalizations between Oct. 1, 2020, and April 17, 2021, for an overall cumulative hospitalization rate of 0.8 per 100,000 population.

DisneyCane

Tell that to my 20 year old friend who caught Covid and died within 2 weeks. Oh, they said, he's not at high risk. Now he's a statistic.
Highly unlikely does not mean impossible. Sometimes, it's just your time.

In 2019, my friends otherwise healthy daughter in her early 30's got the flu and ended up dying from it. Tragic outliers aren't unique to COVID-19.

A huge number of elderly people recovered from COVID-19 even though they were at a very high statistical risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom