Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonniePeverley

Enough with the vaccine passport mumbo jumbo talking point. The vaccination cards are fine. The penalizing of people who do not carry special proof of vaccination via a special app on their personal electronic device is not right. It has been debated at the lowest and highest levels plus everything in between.

Someone's not had their vaccine, but has access to a paper card. lol

Incomudro

Tell that to my 20 year old friend who caught Covid and died within 2 weeks. Oh, they said, he's not at high risk. Now he's a statistic.
I'm sorry to hear that, it's truly terrible.
Still, a rare statistic.
Sometimes young people die from heart attacks, and some from cancer, they are still rare things at younger ages - which is why we find them more troubling.

correcaminos

1) At its peak the flu killed about 10% of Americans vrs Covid in one year 2) This year the flu has been extraordinarly low in cases, probably due to safeguards put in place for Covid

2019-20: A total of 19,845 lab-confirmed flu-associated hospitalizations were reported by FluSurv-NET sites between Oct. 1, 2019, and April 11, 2020, with a cumulative hospitalization rate of 68.3 per 100,000 population.

2020-21: FluSurv-NET sites in 14 states reported 223 lab-confirmed flu hospitalizations between Oct. 1, 2020, and April 17, 2021, for an overall cumulative hospitalization rate of 0.8 per 100,000 population.
We're talking kids deaths since some are bent on comparing flu to covid still. Oddly acting like flu deaths are insanely high (which annually they are not) and that covid is nil.

Definitely wasn't referring to this past year or hospitalizations as a whole.

ImperfectPixie

We're talking kids deaths since some are bent on comparing flu to covid still. Oddly acting like flu deaths are insanely high (which annually they are not) and that covid is nil.

Definitely wasn't referring to this past year or hospitalizations as a whole.
Not to mention that the annual flu deaths are an ESTIMATION. There's a Harvard doctor that thinks the annual flu numbers may be overblown at this point as well, as neither he nor any of the doctors he's questioned have ever seen someone die from the flu. He wrote a paper about it and I believe was going to dive into it further.

DisneyCane

Not to mention that the annual flu deaths are an ESTIMATION. There's a Harvard doctor that thinks the annual flu numbers may be overblown at this point as well, as neither he nor any of the doctors he's questioned have ever seen someone die from the flu. He wrote a paper about it and I believe was going to dive into it further.
He can go question the doctors who treated my friend's daughter referenced above who died from the flu.

drizgirl

So what would your response be if a particular doctor was questioning Covid deaths since they had never seen someone die from Covid?

Touchdown

I’ve seen plenty of people die from the flu, not always old people. These are confirmed flu cases too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Here is an article on the topic. I says that the CDC's numbers for flu deaths are not based on actual reporting of deaths by influenza but are an estimate based on statistical modeling.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ve seen plenty of people die from the flu, not always old people. These are confirmed flu cases too.
A friend of mine from college had a younger brother who died from the flu. He basically waited too long to go to a doctor and when he finally did they sent him straight to the ER but he was too far along to be saved. Before that happened I never knew someone could actually die from the flu. It changed my outlook on getting the flu for sure and on going to a doctor if I did. It still took me almost a decade to start getting a flu shot because I was still an invincible 20 something. It wasn’t until I had kids that I started getting an annual flu shot. I do look back at the younger me and just shake my head…just like I’m looking at the young people today not getting the Covid shot. Everyone learns eventually….some people the hard way:(

ImperfectPixie

He can go question the doctors who treated my friend's daughter referenced above who died from the flu.

I wasn't saying that people don't die from the flu. I was saying that the numbers are an estimation and, according to a Harvard doctor, are likely not as high as we think.

correcaminos

To be fair I am not going there either. The pediatric deaths are not estimated as far as I can tell. Again not talking generic flu numbers either. Just pediatric which have numbers usually in low hundreds range depending on the year. To be honest this argument is very similar to what covid deniers claim which I am not insinuating at all.

ImperfectPixie

To be fair I am not going there either. The pediatric deaths are not estimated as far as I can tell. Again not talking generic flu numbers either. Just pediatric which have numbers usually in low hundreds range depending on the year. To be honest this argument is very similar to what covid deniers claim which I am not insinuating at all.
I'm just so over people comparing COVID to the flu. The flu doesn't do anywhere near the damage to the body we've seen from COVID.

DisneyCane

Sorry to hear about your friend, but nothing in life is 100% safe, it's all a question of risk. Every time you get in a car you are at risk of becoming a statistic.
That was my point exactly and the reason why expecting to be 100% safe from COVID is unrealistic. Nothing is 100% safe.

My wife knew somebody (young adult) who tripped and fell, hit his head just wrong and died. The only way to have absolutely zero risk or injury or death is to already be dead.

Polkadotdress

Everyone learns eventually….some people the hard way:(
And here's a tragic example of that from the Central FL area, where a couple delayed getting the vaccine due to various reasons, and now they regret it.

Two compelling quotes from the article:
"He said the couple was not anti-vaccine. He said they just wanted to wait it out to see if there were going to be any long-term effects from it."

"Mike said it’s clear to him now the benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the risks."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That was my point exactly and the reason why expecting to be 100% safe from COVID is unrealistic. Nothing is 100% safe.

My wife knew somebody (young adult) who tripped and fell, hit his head just wrong and died. The only way to have absolutely zero risk or injury or death is to already be dead.
Of course this is true, but with Covid there’s a vaccine that makes you 95% unlikely to even get sick if exposed and 99%+ unlikely to die. All you need to do is take 2 shots that combined take about 90 seconds to get. The car analogy is fair, every time I get in my car it could lead to an accident and potentially death but I can tell you with 100% certainty if there was a shot or a device I could use that made it 95% unlikely I’d be injured in an accident and 99%+ unlikely to die I’d take it in a heartbeat.

correcaminos

I'm just so over people comparing COVID to the flu. The flu doesn't do anywhere near the damage to the body we've seen from COVID.
As am I really, but if someone is going to start claiming facts we need to be honest, the last four seasons for influenza for kids is 2020-2021 1 death. 2019-2020 199. 2018-2019 144. 2017-2018 188. As of middle of December 2020 172 died of covid (trying to pick a range to keep it fair). That's right in line with influenza. As I said in my original reply to the poster, I vaccinate for both influenza and covid in this house. While risks to my kid isn't high, I'd rather diminish risks. People need to stop spouting that covid kills less kids than influenza. While this past influenza was 1, most years are around 200 or so (some higher some lower - I'm just too lazy to go beyond the last years I listed).

The flu and covid are different beasts, but I get why people do "risk analasys" for their kids - particularly when covid vaccines are not available. I get the idea of comparing for that reason alone for risks of what they should/shouldn't do. That's not bad to do, but you need to look at real numbers not what you think numbers are.

With that I'm done with this subject for now. I think it's arguing beyond what I intended to begin with in my reply.

Disstevefan1

Of course this is true, but with Covid there’s a vaccine that makes you 95% unlikely to even get sick if exposed and 99%+ unlikely to die. All you need to do is take 2 shots that combined take about 90 seconds to get. The car analogy is fair, every time I get in my car it could lead to an accident and potentially death but I can tell you with 100% certainty if there was a shot or a device I could use that made it 95% unlikely I’d be injured in an accident and 99%+ unlikely to die I’d take it in a heartbeat.
Without a vaccine, it is 99+ unlikely to die from covid, it least that’s what we were told.

correcaminos

And here's a tragic example of that from the Central FL area, where a couple delayed getting the vaccine due to various reasons, and now they regret it.

Two compelling quotes from the article:
"He said the couple was not anti-vaccine. He said they just wanted to wait it out to see if there were going to be any long-term effects from it."

"Mike said it’s clear to him now the benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the risks."
This story is heartbreaking and exactly why people need to be given good information, and not "but long term risks" type of questions that the media (social and otherwise) helped to feed. My heart breaks for this man.
Without a vaccine, it is 99+ unlikely to die from covid, it least that’s what we were told.
That's taking a whole number and not quite reporting accurately and definitely not indicative of all ages either. Some will be less than 1% and many will be way more than 1%
edit: chart to show what I'm attempting to say https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapo...-risk-of-dying-from-covid-19/?sh=64d6808c6159

To flip this. 99+% of those who die of covid are unvaccinated. That number is telling. Sorry but saying what you did is exactly what the anti-vaxxers try to say to avoid getting the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom