• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I chalked it up to incorrect statement being heard somewhere. Let's be real, their decline in cases is due to natural immunity now, not vaccines.
It’s tragic to see. I have a few co-workers with family over there and some of their stories remind me of our worst nightmares during the pandemic with hospitals overrun and people dying in the streets.

helenabear

It’s tragic to see. I have a few co-workers with family over there and some of their stories remind me of our worst nightmares during the pandemic with hospitals overrun and people dying in the streets.
My family no longer lives there but we still have ties through work. Absolutely devastating to watch. Felt so helpless during it all too. I might have sounded crass above, but it was said with sadness watching people suffer so.

Animaniac93-98

You gotta take the vaccines to the people ;)

"The health district and partners have sought to make shots convenient by bringing pop-up clinics into the community, in settings both traditional and novel — schools and recreation centers, a topless bar and the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign."

GoofGoof

Premium Member

"The health district and partners have sought to make shots convenient by bringing pop-up clinics into the community, in settings both traditional and novel — schools and recreation centers, a topless bar and the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign."

Whatever it takes 🤩

Flugell

Where do you get that anywhere in India is highly vaccinated - it really is not the case at all and especially when delta hit india.

You do seem to think you know a lot about the uk? We have 80% first doses and 58% second doses - our over 60 rates are very very low, so our vaccines are working, our hospitalisations are low, we are finding that those going into hospital are less poorly, and are often in for a day or two and then leaving - we have 10,000 cases a day rather than 2,000 a day 6 weeks ago yet hospital rates are not going up anywhere near the expected rate and long May it continue.

yes we have kept restrictions on personal and social life - yet 20,000 Scotland fans went to london and partied, we have full houses at formula one and golf coming up, full capacity at Wimbledon, 45,000 at the football - so our restrictions seem to be just penalising the individual rather than corporate abd sporting events - so hey people can gather for events that are good for our profile and for middle class sporting events - but hey we can’t have more than 30 at weddings until Monday and they can’t dance and they can’t sing even when more can attend - we can’t have more than 6 people in our homes, we aren’t allowed to leave our country basically without hoop jumping and we are testing a million people a day, schoolchildren twice a week, surge testing everywhere etc

I know where I would rather be! Your country have a greater urge for normality than we will ever have, you will to overcome this is greater (imo), so many people in the uk are still very very afraid - yoy will be in a much better position than we are
I totally agree with your first 2 paragraphs and have some sympathy with the delay of “freedom day” whilst other things seem to be allowed for corporate sporting events. Though personally I am relieved that individual freedoms are somewhat curtailed as I have no desire to attend such events, or visit pubs or restaurants at the current time. Loving the football on the TV though! Remaining in the U.K. at the moment and avoiding holidays abroad seems eminently sensible both for our citizens and those of the countries we may visit, though I agree very frustrating! I am aware of the financial hardship this may/will cause here and/or abroad but it is of lesser consequence than allowing the disease to spread again.
However I disagree that I would rather be in the USA at the current time, not because I don’t love visiting the country because I do but because of the rather resigned attitude to getting people vaccinated indicated by some on this forum. In the states they are not providing pop up vaccination centres at the rate that we are as far as I can tell. Some states, it appears are resorting to bribery, which if it works is fair enough but we are not in that position. The people are still being vaccinated willingly and in large numbers. To wait an extra four weeks will allow those numbers to increase and should mean that the spread of infection can be contained more successfully.
It is a tough call to make and I appreciate that there are diametrically opposing opinions.
Just to make it clear, as far as I can the capacity and status of the sports events are explained here.
As for the Scots who chose to come to London for a football match they didn’t have a ticket to, words fail me as they would do in pre COVID times! Maybe a few more expletives now though!

DisneyCane

I guess you could always get shots at a topless bar now it's just a slightly different kind.

Polkadotdress

I don’t have much concern or sympathy for any adult who refuses to get vaccinated at this point, unless they can’t be vaccinated due to a medical condition. I was just at a restaurant having lunch today when a guy in the booth behind me says, “I would rather retire than get the vaccine”. Ok, dude, but don’t complain to me when covid knocks you on your ***.
That seems to be the trend, as this NFL player is saying the same thing. It's so counterintuitive to all the vaccine efforts out there, as likely many in the public will follow his lead.

Some highlights from his Tweet: "I will be outside doing what I do...I'll be out in the public. If your scared of me then steer clear, or get vaccinated. Point. Blank. Period. I may die of covid, but I'd rather die actually living. I'm not going to take meds for a leg that isn't broken. I'd rather take my chances with Covid and build up my immunity that way. Eat better. Drink water. Exercise and do what I think is necessary to be a healthy individual. That is MY CHOICE based on MY experiences and what I think is best."

OK then.

JoeCamel

That seems to be the trend, as this NFL player is saying the same thing. It's so counterintuitive to all the vaccine efforts out there, as likely many in the public will follow his lead.

Some highlights from his Tweet: "I will be outside doing what I do...I'll be out in the public. If your scared of me then steer clear, or get vaccinated. Point. Blank. Period. I may die of covid, but I'd rather die actually living. I'm not going to take meds for a leg that isn't broken. I'd rather take my chances with Covid and build up my immunity that way. Eat better. Drink water. Exercise and do what I think is necessary to be a healthy individual. That is MY CHOICE based on MY experiences and what I think is best."

OK then.
I wonder if his stance is the same for performance enhancers?

Heppenheimer

OK then.
Whenever I hear someone say something like "build up my immunity", I ask, "OK, can you explain to me how your immune system works to fight off infections, particularly those caused by viruses?", dunderheads like this inevitably spew out a load of nonsense, usually mentioning irrelevant vitamins, exercise, and with zero understanding of the actual underlying processes. If they've passively absorbed any real information, they might mention antibodies (but often get them confused with antiobiotics) or T cells, but when pressed further, they have no idea what these actually do, much less how they get selected and differientiated.

One year later and I've lost all patients with these meatheads.

Chip Chipperson

OK then.

Damn, all this time drinking water was the secret to not dying from COVID-19 and nobody told us?!?!?! I'm glad this guy is here to set us all straight.

DisneyDebRob

OK then.
I’m just surprised the NFL hasn’t mandated vaccinations. They are using the “education and incentives “ approach. After last year I’m still wondering why with the setbacks they had. Not many but rescheduling has to be a lot of work.

Tom P.

Whenever I hear someone say something like "build up my immunity", I ask, "OK, can you explain to me how your immune system works to fight off infections, particularly those caused by viruses?", dunderheads like this inevitably spew out a load of nonsense, usually mentioning irrelevant vitamins, exercise, and with zero understanding of the actual underlying processes. If they've passively absorbed any real information, they might mention antibodies (but often get them confused with antiobiotics) or T cells, but when pressed further, they have no idea what these actually do, much less how they get selected and differientiated.

One year later and I've lost all patients with these meatheads.
I agree with you. But I can't help finding it humorous that you criticized misinformation, including confusing antibodies with antibiotics, but then confused patients with patience. 😂

Chi84

Premium Member

I hope the FDA moves as quickly as possible toward granting full approval. I don’t think the last line of the article is quite right, though. It’s not that the issue will be not be ripe for review - instead it will become, in the words of the immortal Joey Tribbiani, “a moo point. It’s like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

Heppenheimer

I hope the FDA moves as quickly as possible toward granting full approval. I don’t think the last line of the article is quite right, though. It’s not that the issue will be not be ripe for review - instead it will become, in the words of the immortal Joey Tribbiani, “a moo point. It’s like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”
Given their spurious arguments about vaccine safety and claiming the vaccines are still "experimental", I really don't believ the issue was ever about full approval vs. EAU.

ifan

The 7 day average numbers in the US for both new cases and deaths over the past week continues to fall at a high rate, which bodes well for everything continuing to stay open at Disney and elsewhere.

I was in a major city this weekend and I've never seen it busier with tourists out in full force - felt great!

7 day average for new cases is now around ~11k and new deaths is around ~300. This will fall further after today's wildly low numbers are incorporated. Today's numbers are about half the number of new cases and deaths compared to the same day a week ago. I was worried we had plateaued two weeks ago but now the numbers have continued to improve rapidly, despite the entire country now open with very few restrictions.

Those in this thread that were worried a few weeks ago that a removal of restrictions would cause a bump in cases can now breathe a sigh of relief (and worry about something else!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom