Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Perfect mix.👍👍👍👍

I also share some concern for the economy but I do hope that the labor supply issues clear up some once the extra Federal unemployment runs out in September.
There is also a very easy way to fix the labor shortage if it doesn’t, it’s a trick the US has done many times, and I suspect will turn to again: immigration. We are one of the few countries in the world that people still strive to be a part of (unlike say China) and we will use that to our advantage.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Jrb1979

Starting July 5th fully vaccinated Canadians will be able to cross the border without having to quarantine upon return. A negative test will still be required and you must download the ArriveCanada app and link your vaccine record to it. It's the start of a vaccine passport. As of now only Canadians can enter Canada still.

TrainsOfDisney

Perfect mix.👍👍👍👍

I also share some concern for the economy but I do hope that the labor supply issues clear up some once the extra Federal unemployment runs out in September.

I don’t have any data - but I think the labor shortage is because those who were laid off found other ways to make money.

Instacart and UberEats are way more popular now and they all need drivers. I’d much rather deliver groceries on my schedule than work an 8 hour shift at a fast food restaurant. Wouldn’t you?

Heppenheimer

Starting July 5th fully vaccinated Canadians will be able to cross the border without having to quarantine upon return. A negative test will still be required and you must download the ArriveCanada app and link your vaccine record to it. It's the start of a vaccine passport. As of now only Canadians can enter Canada still.
Anyone know what the current rules are for Canadians crossing the land border into the US?

Jrb1979

Anyone know what the current rules are for Canadians crossing the land border into the US?
As of now the land border is closed til July 22nd. From what I understand is you still need a negative test to enter the US and one to enter Canada.

As far as US citizens entering Canada, a vaccine passport I likely by fall. I don't know how many Americans will want to deal with that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t have any data - but I think the labor shortage is because those who were laid off found other ways to make money.

Instacart and UberEats are way more popular now and they all need drivers. I’d much rather deliver groceries on my schedule than work an 8 hour shift at a fast food restaurant. Wouldn’t you?
I think that’s part of it for sure. As more people get comfortable eating out and shopping again I think that swings back the other way though. Eventually there may not be enough orders to make ends meet once everyone goes back to full normal.

The other big issue is for some people they are making close to the same amount or more staying out on unemployment. The pandemic isn’t over so if I could stay home and stay safe vs going in to work for about the same pay I’d probably stay home. I drove yesterday from PA to NC and there are help wanted signs everywhere and many offering $500 to $1,000 in signing bonuses. It’s definitely a good market for job seekers.

TrainsOfDisney

As more people get comfortable eating out and shopping again I think that swings back the other way though.
It will be interesting to see how that goes. Eating out, yes people clearly want that back.

But I don’t think I’ll ever go back to grocery shopping again. Instantcart is just too easy!

Polkadotdress

However, that doesn't mean the pandemic still won't affect you. If there's another wave that sweeps through the unvaccinated population, the current supply and labor crunches could get even worse, which will probably ramp up inflation, putting more pressure on the Fed to raise interest rates, which will put a brake on the economic recovery.
In attempt to shop for the soon-to-be college freshman in my house, I've been stymied by the fact that both WalMart stores that we have been to have had nearly-bare shelves in the housewares dept, specifically towels and bedsheets. At first I thought it was just a weird shortage at our store, but when I encountered it at a 2nd store I realized it must be one of those pandemic supply-chain issues.

I can't even fathom what will happen if a hurricane decides to come our way, resulting in panic buying of storm supplies!

DonniePeverley

A former White House adviser has described the Delta variant as “coronavirus on steroids” as cases of the strain hit rural Kansas and Mississippi.

I honestly feel with the knowledge we know, and a month or so behind the UK, we should not be removing masks and removing all restrictions - especially in the parks. It's just so premature.

Jrb1979

I wonder if the US will issue a reciprocal update soon. Seems less likely to me that Canada would lessen the border restrictions if they knew the US wouldn't follow.
The land border is closed on both sides til July 22nd. Right now only Canadians can enter Canada with these new rules in place. I think big issue is the Vaccine passport. Canada is going to require it and the US wants no part of it.

Heppenheimer

The land border is closed on both sides til July 22nd. Right now only Canadians can enter Canada with these new rules in place. I think big issue is the Vaccine passport. Canada is going to require it and the US wants no part of it.
Hopefully, US citizens who want to visit Canada can piggyback on their system. I can't be the only US citizen who wants to visit family in Canada and Europe.

If the rest of the world moves in this direction, we'll have missed a huge opportunity to have a voice at the table.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I hope NJ, PA, CT, DC, FL, IL, MA and NY will have big surge because Delta variant takes over by this fall....:eek:

Why would you hope for that?

Also, if had bothered to read the article, it explicitly says it would be in places with low vaccination rates. None of the states you mentioned meet that criteria.
I believe they mean they hope that the vaccination rates will protect those states if there was a delta surge (lives in nj)

on a similar note...here’s the vaccination chart...both “uplifting” and sad...

1624297261069.png

disneygeek90

CMs that I either spoke to or overheard yesterday seemed elated to be able to be mask free.

Now, if they can please reinstate all of the pre-shows (like ToT) things would get even better. However, they can leave out room #1 of FoP because the actor/character get's really grating after more than 20 seconds.
ToT, RnRC, MMRR preshows all operating yesterday. It was so good to see them again after such a long time.

Curiously enough, FoP was still doing the edited show/one room, though I think it was slightlyyyy extended from the original shortened version.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

...welcome back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom