Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

I can't stand this kid of thing. This is the top story on CNN's Web site. And it's all about boosters. Yet the entire thing is nothing but speculation. Even the quotes from Dr. Fauci say that. There is currently zero evidence -- absolutely none -- that boosters will be required. Right now, we have documented studies showing that immunity is just as strong after six months. That's the farthest it's been tested so far. Yet CNN makes it their top article that we may start needing boosters soon.

This kinda thing just keeps people worried ("Is my Covid shot still good???") and helps drive vaccine hesitancy ("I'm not doing something where I have to get a shot every 6 months!"). It is irresponsible. We need to be talking about just how good the vaccine is and how long immunity has lasted so far. If it eventually wears off, or a variant develops that evades it, then we can deal with that at the time. But that doesn't need to be the conversation right now.
Why not be concerned now and prepare for it now? The last time we had to deal with something “at the time” it didn’t go well.

While I avoid CNN, the concerns are valid.

Tom P.

Why not be concerned now and prepare for it now? The last time we had to deal with something “at the time” it didn’t go well.

The pharmaceutical companies and the government are making the necessary preparations. If a booster is needed, they will be ready.

But CNN doesn't need to keep blathering on about something that is nothing but speculation. All they are doing is driving fear and vaccine hesitancy.

Amazingly good things are happening with Covid right now. Yet find me one "good news" story on CNN's page accentuating the positive. They are virtually nonexistent. Gotta keep people constantly scared to drive those clicks.

GaBoy

Think the most oddball argument I have read from a single person is they won't get vaccinated because there's still a <1% chance of still catching it after vaccination so it doesn't work. Yet in the same sentence say they won't get vaccinated because their chance of getting covid is <1% without being vaccinated.
In their mind <1% is only a good thing if it requires them to do nothing new.
Its an excuse for being a 🐔💩. Plain and simple looking for any reason to avoid what is basically a juvenile fear of medicine and no courage to take even the slightest risk or discomfort for the common good. Hell even for their own selfish good. I will admit I, mid-50's, having been patched up and stitched up all my life, sat in that chair waiting on the 15 minute observation, with a slight flush. The great unknown. But... its what you do. If nothing else.... for your family. I have no patience for excuses any longer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I can't stand this kid of thing. This is the top story on CNN's Web site. And it's all about boosters. Yet the entire thing is nothing but speculation. Even the quotes from Dr. Fauci say that. There is currently zero evidence -- absolutely none -- that boosters will be required. Right now, we have documented studies showing that immunity is just as strong after six months. That's the farthest it's been tested so far. Yet CNN makes it their top article that we may start needing boosters soon.

This kinda thing just keeps people worried ("Is my Covid shot still good???") and helps drive vaccine hesitancy ("I'm not doing something where I have to get a shot every 6 months!"). It is irresponsible. We need to be talking about just how good the vaccine is and how long immunity has lasted so far. If it eventually wears off, or a variant develops that evades it, then we can deal with that at the time. But that doesn't need to be the conversation right now.

because the Public has earned the “trust” to deal with this sorta thing if and when it happens?

what did I miss?

don’t read it if you think it’s overboard. I ignore stuff that I know is actively stupid...like election audits

correcaminos

Because it's not a concern to anyone really at all. If a booster is needed, we'll get it as those making and testing are taking care of us. For now we may not at all need one, so why harp in things that just cause people to not vaccinate?

wutisgood

Universal and sea world about as crowded as I have ever seen them. Plenty of people mentioning they can't get in to Disney. It seems like Disney is the only one effectively limiting capacity

LaughingGravy

Here in lovely NJ today, we went to a local flea market for the first time in what seems like forever. It was in a big open fire department garage. There were no signs requiring masks. Almost everyone wore masks out of courtesy.
For a while, we were talking with some old friends in a group who were all vaccinated. But, we didn't bring up who was vaccinated with what. Moot point at the moment.
Of course there were the few in the building who didn't and were visibly annoyed, giving disapproving looks. I have no idea if they were vaccinated or not. I don't care, either. By the end of the month, unless covid numbers spike again, the Gov. plans on lifting the indoor mask mandate for those vaccinated. It will be a free for all. I simply don't trust that those unvaccinated will abide by the rules.
There will be boatloads of non-vaccinated people (still the clear majority in the state) indoors sans masks everywhere.
We'll still do a wait and see, meaning no indoor restaurant dining, wearing masks in supermarkets and other places and only interacting maskless with those we know are vaccinated.
I hope we don't see a spike. At this point, there has been more than ample opportunity to be vaccinated with incredible ease.
If we do see a spike, I have no sympathy at all, with the exception of kids and them being out of control of the situation. We will continue to mask to do our part in the presence of those likely unvaccinated.
Supposedly, the chances of transmitting by those who have been vaccinated is very low. We'll see.

AEfx

Exactly. The article also stated, "But Americans should prepare to have a Covid-19 vaccine booster shot within a year, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Thursday." This isn't some made-up story.

When you observe this thread for a period of time, you start to see it's cadence - any time any legitimate questions about the vaccine show up - how long it is going to last, what variants it may or may not cover, the things we just do not know yet - he conversation gets shut down, one way (people just dismiss the idea as doom and gloom) or another (people get so rude or belligerent about it that the posts disappear).

This acceptable attitude for this thread is "I picked out this number, so this means this is pretty much all done!" and "I have my vaccination, I'm 100% protected! Let's get this over with!" It is highly resistant (pun intended) to anything but what folks want to hear.

Like WDW, people come to here for reassurance - not a truly honest look at the subject which includes the positive, negative, and unknowns (of which there are many, but that doesn't mean they don't exist).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The pharmaceutical companies and the government are making the necessary preparations. If a booster is needed, they will be ready.

But CNN doesn't need to keep blathering on about something that is nothing but speculation. All they are doing is driving fear and vaccine hesitancy.

Amazingly good things are happening with Covid right now. Yet find me one "good news" story on CNN's page accentuating the positive. They are virtually nonexistent. Gotta keep people constantly scared to drive those clicks.
I don’t like the doom and gloom, clickbait stories on variants and boosters. Variants and mutations are real but so far none have emerged that are vaccine resistant. I‘ve been saying for a while now that while it’s a potential threat it’s not something guaranteed to happen. The people who need to worry about them are worrying (people in the government setting public health policy and scientists studying it). The media loves the stories because it draws clicks or views.

All that being said I am not sure CNN is doing much more than preaching to the choir. How many vaccine hesitant people are even watching CNN and if they are how many care about that story? The 20% or so who won’t get the shot no matter what aren’t not getting it because of a potential booster. It’s the rest of the unvaccinated we have to worry about. A lot of those people are young people and probably get their news from some form of social media as opposed to conventional cable news. Yes, for those of you who are regular viewers of CNN I just called you old ;););). Embrace it...I have :) My guess is the vast majority of people who see that story are likely already vaccinated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Wait...you don’t trust the people?!?😡?!?

Because it's not a concern to anyone really at all. If a booster is needed, we'll get it as those making and testing are taking care of us. For now we may not at all need one, so why harp in things that just cause people to not vaccinate?

because the public has not earned that trust AT ALL. Look at the vax numbers...it’s spilt almost 100% on last years politics. So the sooner they get the word out...the faster the fake outrage can dissipate. The people have yielded their claim to the benefit of the doubt

the saying is:
“If you don’t want to have an inferiority complex...stop doing things that make you seem inferior!!!!”

Patcheslee

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned as I’ve been at the parks all day, but Universal is no longer providing the hand sanitizer before each attraction, they were still doing so yesterday. There are some machines that I’ve seen in the front instead.
I don't personally mind this as much only because some hand sanitizers have caused my hand to break out extremely bad and to the point of burning feel. The stuff I carry for personal use doesn't, so now I know I can avoid the chance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here in lovely NJ today, we went to a local flea market for the first time in what seems like forever. It was in a big open fire department garage. There were no signs requiring masks. Almost everyone wore masks out of courtesy.
For a while, we were talking with some old friends in a group who were all vaccinated. But, we didn't bring up who was vaccinated with what. Moot point at the moment.
Of course there were the few in the building who didn't and were visibly annoyed, giving disapproving looks. I have no idea if they were vaccinated or not. I don't care, either. By the end of the month, unless covid numbers spike again, the Gov. plans on lifting the indoor mask mandate for those vaccinated. It will be a free for all. I simply don't trust that those unvaccinated will abide by the rules.
There will be boatloads of non-vaccinated people (still the clear majority in the state) indoors sans masks everywhere.
We'll still do a wait and see, meaning no indoor restaurant dining, wearing masks in supermarkets and other places and only interacting maskless with those we know are vaccinated.
I hope we don't see a spike. At this point, there has been more than ample opportunity to be vaccinated with incredible ease.
If we do see a spike, I have no sympathy at all, with the exception of kids and them being out of control of the situation. We will continue to mask to do our part in the presence of those likely unvaccinated.
Supposedly, the chances of transmitting by those who have been vaccinated is very low. We'll see.
Technically 58% of all NJ residents have 1 dose and 47% are fully vaccinated. If you are around adults mostly 67% of adults 18-64 have at least 1 shot and 89% of 65+. So the moral of the story is hang out with old people and you almost certainly will be around people who are vaccinated.

I actually think this is the reason the removal of mask mandates should have been tied to vaccination percentage everywhere. Once you reach a high enough percent vaccinated the odds of coming in contact with someone who is unvaccinated and also infected with Covid drop dramatically as vaccination rates go up.

dreday3

It is a great park. I'm a little jealous that many of you have such great parks near you and rarely go to them.

oh my god. You have no idea how many of us go to the theme parks near us and how often we go. You complain about this ALL the time. Should I call you each time we go to another theme park? We just made Dollywood reservations. :D

It's a Disney-centric board, that's why people post mostly about Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Technically 58% of all NJ residents have 1 dose and 47% are fully vaccinated. If you are around adults mostly 67% of adults 18-64 have at least 1 shot and 89% of 65+. So the moral of the story is hang out with old people and you almost certainly will be around people who are vaccinated.

I actually think this is the reason the removal of mask mandates should have been tied to vaccination percentage everywhere. Once you reach a high enough percent vaccinated the odds of coming in contact with someone who is unvaccinated and also infected with Covid drop dramatically as vaccination rates go up.
We’re gonna grind to a halt around 70 here too...that’s a really bad sign on a national pattern. Hopefully nature behaves and saves the day. We’re not Strong or wise enough to do it any other way - it seems?

totally agree on the mask mandate. “We get to 80%...the masks are off...”
But morons would have dug in to fight the standard misdirection we see with everything these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom