Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

I doubt you will see Canadians this summer. Trudeau has said the need for Canada to be 75% vaccinated before the border is open. I fully expect proof of vaccination to enter Canada when it does open.
Please hurry then because I need to visit the falls again. Need that road trip.

correcaminos

The biggest thing that saved us from the flu was not having schools opened. Unlike Covid children are highly susceptible to the flu and prone to spread it, there’s a reason Jan-Feb is the height of flu season. Personally, I think having kids go to school is a good that outweighs the risk but that’s just me.
Our schools were open in Jan and Feb, and flu was way down still...

Also looking at numbers risks aren't that far off for both diseases for kids.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As of this morning, 50% of all Canadians have now received at least one vaccine dose. That's more than 61% of the adult population.

If the USA border reopening goal is set at 75% with one dose, that will happen before the end of Summer.
What is needed to get from 61% to 75%? About 4 or 5M more doses? Should be doable in a few weeks if the vaccination pace continues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Our schools were open in Jan and Feb, and flu was way down still...

Also looking at numbers risks aren't that far off for both diseases for kids.
Same here. The bigger difference in my opinion was that they had masks and distancing in actual school and cancelled all after school activities that were indoor from Nov through the Winter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We also need to be at 20% fully vaccinated. As of the other day that was only at 4%
Once they get to 75% it’s probably best to switch focus to 2nd doses for the higher risk groups. It’s not a huge jump in effectiveness, but the second dose does help, especially if a variant makes the vaccines slightly less effective.

Jrb1979

Once they get to 75% it’s probably best to switch focus to 2nd doses for the higher risk groups. It’s not a huge jump in effectiveness, but the second dose does help, especially if a variant makes the vaccines slightly less effective.
Many of the higher risk groups have their 2nd dose. The good news is they are starting to move up dates for 2nd doses. I got my AstraZeneca shot end of April and now can get my 2nd shot 2nd week of July. Originally it was supposed to be not til August.

Animaniac93-98

What is needed to get from 61% to 75%? About 4 or 5M more doses? Should be doable in a few weeks if the vaccination pace continues.

To put things in perspective it was just over 30 days to get from from 25% to 50% of the total population with one dose.

I'd say no later than July 1 to get to 75% of eligible Canadians. More provinces are starting to do 12-15 year olds now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the topic of vaccines for children under 12, the FDA advisory committee is set to meet on June 10 to discuss the criteria needed for EUA for kids under 12. There is some speculation that they could recommend authorization for younger kids sooner than originally expected due to the extremely high efficacy and safety in the 12-15 study. Here is an article that references the meeting. There’s no formal agenda and they said they wouldn’t talk about specific products so no authorization pending.

Wendy Pleakley

Have you heard whether he meant with one dose or both? I can’t find any info on that specifically, it just says “vaccinated”. My guess is he meant fully vaccinated, but you never know? If he meant full, then yeah we will be waiting a while…

Canada is extending second doses by a maximum of 16 weeks. We're at, what, 50% with first doses now, so by the end of September we should be at 50% + fully vaccinated, with everyone (who wants one) having their first shot well before then as well.

I can see the borders being reopened by October.

Wendy Pleakley

The problem is that the conditions we've operated under during Covid are not sustainable in the long-term, such as doing them every flu season. You could not simply switch back to businesses having capacity limits, schools being shut down, six foot social distancing being required, entertainment venues closed, people asked to say away from their family members, etc. every time flu season rolls around. And while you could have people mask up each flu season, we don't know what, if any, effect that alone would have because the virtual elimination of the flu has been with masking in combination with all those other far more harsh mitigation measures.

We can still learn things from this pandemic, and look at ways to reduce sickness in general, including the flu.

Letting people work from home if they have a minor cold for example. Wearing a mask if one has a cold and has to go out. Wearing a mask in high risk situations like crowded public transit. Using hand sanitizer a bit more often, especially when touching high traffic things like theme park elements.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.32.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.34.19 PM.png

lazyboy97o

Why have we "given up without even trying" These were the fastest and most effective vaccines to ever be seen in history. We have used science to figure out what is a risk and what isn't. Your "reasons" are actually "science" I am not even going to go into the masking studies. They did do something but at best they bought us some time. I am remembering (after 2 Jack and cokes ) that the multiple mask studies showed a difference of 1.7 to 2.9. Prove me wrong but it won't be far from that.
From the beginning we have heard “We just have to live with it.” Even with incredibly effective vaccines and enough doses for everyone from the beginning it has been accepted that a sizable chunk of the population will not get it even though near universal vaccination has been accomplished in the past. We have seen how changing things can have other benefits but again, we can’t implement things like wearing masks when feeling ill because that’s not “normal.” We can’t build building less dependent on air conditioning because that’s not “normal”. We can’t have more generous sick time because that’s not “normal.” We can’t have more walkable communities because that’s not “normal.” We can’t address why our general health is poor because the reasons that make access to healthy foods and exercise difficult are “normal”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom