Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa12000

I agree with everything you said apart from the last sentence. I don’t feel there is a vile atmosphere at all, in fact the contrary, the U.K. seems a much happier place at the moment.
Also the media are not promoting fear as much as they did but if they are overplaying it a bit, surely that encourages people to get vaccinated ASAP!
I think that’s just personal opinion tbh which is is why I said in my opinion. Our local paper is threatening us with local lockdown if we don’t comply as we have two cases of Indian variant which was brought in from outside the area and no signs of community spread (already done their isolation period) - our case rate is 10 in 100, 000 and one of the lowest we have ever been! I just feel it’s all slightly oppressive still

Heppenheimer

Which is what confuses me. Why do they not have to go through yearly trials, and is that reason applicable to the way mrna vaccines work?
The flu vaccines aren't really new each year. The manufacturers pick the combination of antigens they think will most likely predominate in the coming flu season. Rarely do they use a completely new anitgen.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

I share this not to start an argument, but to point out facts.

The facts are that Covid prevention measures WORK.

Masks work
Washing our hands work
Keeping our distance works
These restrictions WORK

The lack of a flu season is in complete support of this - and also helps prove the Covid-19 is not just a "Flu", as these measures pretty much prevented the flu, but could not fully prevent infection from Covid-19, which shows you just how much more easily transmissible this virus is.

Imagine if we had decided to have ZERO measures as some people across the world seem to support. Imagine that for one moment.

We'd have had a flu season, and Covid-19 running in parallel.

Thank you to our Doctors, Nurses, Health Workers, and Scientists. I apologize that so many are so foolish.

Or it has more than a little to do with very little, if any, international travel from Asia...

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-asian-source-of-the-annual-flu-epidemic/amp/

Touchdown

The biggest thing that saved us from the flu was not having schools opened. Unlike Covid children are highly susceptible to the flu and prone to spread it, there’s a reason Jan-Feb is the height of flu season. Personally, I think having kids go to school is a good that outweighs the risk but that’s just me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A lot of people this side of the pond really hope it’s this summer! Especially now that our data is a lot better then countries which are currently allowed in
Things are moving fast...in a good way for once :) so I think you have a good shot. If trends continue by July 1 we may have most restrictions lifted in the US and I imagine International flights could ramp up this Summer. I don’t see why the US would have any issues with people from the UK or Canada coming in at that point. That would be really good for WDW for business.

Jrb1979

Things are moving fast...in a good way for once :) so I think you have a good shot. If trends continue by July 1 we may have most restrictions lifted in the US and I imagine International flights could ramp up this Summer. I don’t see why the US would have any issues with people from the UK or Canada coming in at that point. That would be really good for WDW for business.
I doubt you will see Canadians this summer. Trudeau has said the need for Canada to be 75% vaccinated before the border is open. I fully expect proof of vaccination to enter Canada when it does open.

xoemmdee

I doubt you will see Canadians this summer. Trudeau has said the need for Canada to be 75% vaccinated before the border is open. I fully expect proof of vaccination to enter Canada when it does open.
Have you heard whether he meant with one dose or both? I can’t find any info on that specifically, it just says “vaccinated”. My guess is he meant fully vaccinated, but you never know? If he meant full, then yeah we will be waiting a while…

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Like I said, things are moving fast. Fauci and Biden said no return to normal for the US until the Fall or maybe Christmas and said we might be wearing masks still in 2022. None of that looks likely anymore. It’s a fluid situation and things can change daily. Once you hit a high enough level of vaccinations things drop off quickly. The only difference is with the variants making the vaccines slightly less effective and Canada and the UK not focusing on second doses it may take a little longer to see full results, but it will still probably happen quickly.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Like I said, things are moving fast. Fauci and Biden said no return to normal for the US until the Fall or maybe Christmas and said we might be wearing masks still in 2022. None of that looks likely anymore. It’s a fluid situation and things can change daily. Once you hit a high enough level of vaccinations things drop off quickly. The only difference is with the variants making the vaccines slightly less effective and Canada and the UK not focusing on second doses it may take a little longer to see full results, but it will still probably happen quickly.
At least US will go back to normal soon this year than UK and Canada, because they will be slowly back to normal by this year or next year.

Jrb1979

I get things change quickly but with how cautious the Canadian government is taking things I doubt the border reopens before fall. I say that cause of the high vaccination percentage they want before things fully open. They keep saying that they need 75% with one dose and 20% with their 2nd dose. They are tying dropping of restrictions solely on vaccination rates. Case counts and hospitalizations play a small part.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I get things change quickly but with how cautious the Canadian government is taking things I doubt the border reopens before fall. I say that cause of the high vaccination percentage they want before things fully open. They keep saying that they need 75% with one dose and 20% with their 2nd dose. They are tying dropping of restrictions solely on vaccination rates. Case counts and hospitalizations play a small part.
All I’m saying is things may actually improve faster than anticipated. Would that be such a bad thing?

lisa12000

To be fair in the UK we are bringing forward second doses and ramping up first. We did over 600,000 1st and 2nds on Friday - meaning we are 71% first dose and around 41% second so thats going up very quickly now - fully expect 50% by end of next week for 2nd doses and about 75% first. We are also surge vaccinating over 18s in some areas of concern for Indian variant so Blackburn and Bolton especially are doing this. We have been stockpiling vaccines due to the EU suggesting a ban on vaccine exports but I think we are just going full pelt for it now and expect everyone to have been offered a first dose by end of June rather than July now. our only issue is vaccine hesitancy/ access in minority ethnic groups inputs of our large cities and towns - and these are areas that are seeing spikes right now but our average daily fatality rate right now is 6 per day and we have less than 1000 in hospital and 100 in ICU so we are doing pretty well on that front.

drizgirl

The biggest thing that saved us from the flu was not having schools opened. Unlike Covid children are highly susceptible to the flu and prone to spread it, there’s a reason Jan-Feb is the height of flu season. Personally, I think having kids go to school is a good that outweighs the risk but that’s just me.
Except that much of the country did have kids in school most of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom