Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They were already ready working on that if needed. For Pfizer I was told they were running tests on Phase 1 only so they'd likely be ready to go. But for now we don't need them so it hasn't gone any further.

Not sure how you start developing a booster now, for a variant that doesn't exist yet.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It is being reported that NJ will drop the indoor mask mandate for those who are vaccinated by Memorial Day. The governor has very recently said he wasn't a fan of the honor system approach, so it will be interesting to see how that change will be handled.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is being reported that NJ will drop the indoor mask mandate for those who are vaccinated by Memorial Day. The governor has very recently said he wasn't a fan of the honor system approach, so it will be interesting to see how that change will be handled.
I don’t know how it gets handled in public places with customers, but I’m seeing more and more places implementing a system where employees opt out of masking if they show proof of vaccination to their employer. I think that’s the moat powerful weapon we have to increase vaccinations. If every employer did that we would exceed 75% of adults with 1 shot in a few weeks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don’t know how it gets handled in public places with customers, but I’m seeing more and more places implementing a system where employees opt out of masking if they show proof of vaccination to their employer. I think that’s the moat powerful weapon we have to increase vaccinations. If every employer did that we would exceed 75% of adults with 1 shot in a few weeks.

Yeah, that would be a lot easier to enforce for employees. I think even the honor system would probably work ok for a lot of employers since I think employees would be less likely to lie then a random person off the street.

mmascari

Yes, but wouldn't the booster need to go through the same trial process as the original vaccine?
It depends on exactly what changes and how large a change it is from the current vaccine.

Think of the current vaccine being compared to brand new, nothing, no information at all. Nobody knew anything about it's efficacy or safety. Was the thing being created any better than just drinking lots of orange juice, was it any more toxic than drinking lots of Jagermeister.

A small change would be compared to the current baseline. Does the change decrease/keep the same/increase those same measurements vs the current baseline product. Along with what actually changed from the baseline. It's a revision not a new product.

Likewise, if the virus mutates so much that it's not really a variant but a completely new thing, needing a completely new vaccine, then it'll be a different set of testing and conditions.

Hiding in the details are what makes something a revision vs brand new. But, I think we're all assuming something along the lines of a revision and not starting from scratch.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It depends on exactly what changes and how large a change it is from the current vaccine.

Think of the current vaccine being compared to brand new, nothing, no information at all. Nobody knew anything about it's efficacy or safety. Was the thing being created any better than just drinking lots of orange juice, was it any more toxic than drinking lots of Jagermeister.

A small change would be compared to the current baseline. Does the change decrease/keep the same/increase those same measurements vs the current baseline product. Along with what actually changed from the baseline. It's a revision not a new product.

Likewise, if the virus mutates so much that it's not really a variant but a completely new thing, needing a completely new vaccine, then it'll be a different set of testing and conditions.

Hiding in the details are what makes something a revision vs brand new. But, I think we're all assuming something along the lines of a revision and not starting from scratch.

So you are saying I can cure the virus with orange juice in Jagermeister? ;)

mmascari

So you are saying I can cure the virus with orange juice in Jagermeister? ;)
Clearly I am not a doctor, nor qualified in any way to give any actual direct medical advice. Along with that Jagermeister was the baseline for toxic one should hope to not fall below.

Having said that, it might work. Someone could give it try. Not me, but "someone". o_O

I believe that's the look one has after consuming enough Jagermeister. At least that's what I've been told, I don't remember those years anymore. :eek:

If you try and it works, AND get's FDA approval for treatment, I would like 0.5% of all revenue. 🤑

If you mix the two, you're on your own. Even the thought makes me shudder. :hungover:🤮

Tom P.

Also keep in mind that there is a difference between a booster being necessary because the immunity wears off and a booster being necessary because of variants. In the former case, a booster could just be another dose of the same exact vaccines we have now. In the latter case, it would require changing the vaccine.

Disney Analyst

I share this not to start an argument, but to point out facts.

The facts are that Covid prevention measures WORK.

Masks work
Washing our hands work
Keeping our distance works
These restrictions WORK

The lack of a flu season is in complete support of this - and also helps prove the Covid-19 is not just a "Flu", as these measures pretty much prevented the flu, but could not fully prevent infection from Covid-19, which shows you just how much more easily transmissible this virus is.

Imagine if we had decided to have ZERO measures as some people across the world seem to support. Imagine that for one moment.

We'd have had a flu season, and Covid-19 running in parallel.

Thank you to our Doctors, Nurses, Health Workers, and Scientists. I apologize that so many are so foolish.

Tom P.

I share this not to start an argument, but to point out facts.

The facts are that Covid prevention measures WORK.

Masks work
Washing our hands work
Keeping our distance works
These restrictions WORK

The lack of a flu season is in complete support of this - and also helps prove the Covid-19 is not just a "Flu", as these measures pretty much prevented the flu, but could not fully prevent infection from Covid-19, which shows you just how much more easily transmissible this virus is.

Imagine if we had decided to have ZERO measures as some people across the world seem to support. Imagine that for one moment.

We'd have had a flu season, and Covid-19 running in parallel.

Thank you to our Doctors, Nurses, Health Workers, and Scientists. I apologize that so many are so foolish.

The problem is that the conditions we've operated under during Covid are not sustainable in the long-term, such as doing them every flu season. You could not simply switch back to businesses having capacity limits, schools being shut down, six foot social distancing being required, entertainment venues closed, people asked to say away from their family members, etc. every time flu season rolls around. And while you could have people mask up each flu season, we don't know what, if any, effect that alone would have because the virtual elimination of the flu has been with masking in combination with all those other far more harsh mitigation measures.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'm not convinced that there will be boosters, or at least not as frequently as some are saying. Right now, it's all speculation. So far, there have been no studies showing people who have been vaccinated who later lost the immunity. Covid and the Covid vaccines just haven't been around long enough. They are taking an educated guess and also trying to be prepared in case boosters are necessary. But there is no data yet that actually says they will be.
If there's anything I learned since February 2020 is that no one knows anything until they know it. Deep thoughts by Parker... Oh, and you can calendar that.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Stay Jersey, Jersey (I lived there, I can say it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom