Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

All I want is for our leaders to take this on a two week basis. As of now DeWine has until April 3rd to make the decision to extend. Wait to announce anything until we know more information and are close to that date.

Millions of families do not have any good options in this scenario. I know that several people here acted like an extra $750 per week for unforeseen additional childcare is no big deal, but to many families it will be.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I think it would help families prepare more effectively (in practical and emotional terms) to acknowledge what they’re facing. And while we can’t know how the months ahead are going to pan out, nothing happening right now suggests that these measures are going to be relaxed in the next fortnight—quite the reverse.

Josh Hendy

Arrived in Orlando for a conference on the 2nd of March and stayed to visit WDW
So if what I read elsewhere is true that a typical fatality happens 4 or 5 weeks after exposure, chances are he didn't catch it in Orlando but was possibly spreading it in the parks from around Saturday Mar. 7.

thomas998

Lol. There are two constants in life. Death and Taxes. I totally agree, it there is a tax for getting corona it will be the true double whammy and they will find a way to keep it here for forever.

That being said, we have no idea if this is a one off event or if this is just going to become an endemic disease. If I was betting money I’d place it in endemic disease, but honestly, at this point in time no one knows.

If it did become endemic this will eventually end up in the conversation with drunk driving, smoking, breast cancer, prostate cancer colon cancer, etc. The public health officials will have to determine bang for healthcare buck in terms of cost of QALYs per dollar. (QALY stands for quality adjusted life year. A unit they use in public Health to help quantify healthcare measures. 1 is the best and 0 being the lowest). Vaccines give great QALY value and are some of the biggest bang for buck. One childhood vaccine that prevents polio can potentially give back 70+ QALYs. (70 years of health compared to death or severe disability.)

Some not as great on the value interventions are cancer treatments or bypass surgery. Not saying we shouldn’t do it, just compared to vaccines these are significantly more expensive. A vaccine may be $30 dollars vs a CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) which would be $30000+ dollars (estimate). The CABG is typically done on 60+ year olds. You may buy 10-20 more years of life, but at this age the health may not be as good so instead of a QALY if 1.0 it may be more like 0.7. So you may buy 7-14 QALYs for $30,000 instead of 70 QALYs for $30 for the vaccine.

Ultimately, if this is a one off event this discussion is irrelevant and hopefully it is. However, if not, public health officials will definitely be discussing QALYs, when deciding where to devote healthcare dollars. That being said, there is almost nothing out there cheaper than vaccines from a QALY/dollar standpoint.

(Disclaimer: I have simplified the explanation and calculations of QALYs a little, but the main point is still intact.)

Although I doubt the politicians think in terms of QALY as much as they think in terms of revenue lost... lose a kid to polio that would have theoretically grown up to pay income taxes for many decades and you have serious loss... lose a 60 year old that was about to retire and stop paying taxes and horror of horrors actually start taking money from the government and that's going to hurt... I suspect if it weren't for the fact the older people tend to vote more and the politicians need them to stay in office that they would have already pushed grandpa out the backdoor when he had a heart attack and at most given him a bottle of aspirin and said good luck.

DisneyJoe

Well, wait. Did the man have a pre existing medical condition that caused complications after contracting corona?
Are we sure he contracted corona in WDW?

He could have contracted corona anywhere (yes including WDW).

I guess we will never know. This is just clickbait for TMZ
For MANY sites - I've already seen it on at least 10 sites - I cannot tell who posted it first.

Disstevefan1

The article says he had asthma and frequent bronchitis as a kid, but outgrew it as he got older. That puts him in the higher-risk category but it's still scary to hear.

Yes, I saw the link posted after I posed. This is tragic related to corona or not.

Pneumonia kills people all the time, some people can go days with pneumonia and feel fine. When I was a high school kid, I had what we thought was a cold but it was not going away, but I felt fine, my mom was worried and took me to the Dr. I said to the Dr., "I feel fine have a look so we can be on our way, I had a wrestling meet this week."

Well it turned out to be pneumonia.

I am sure lots of folk have similar stories...

ImperfectPixie

Yes, I saw the link posted after I posed. This is tragic related to corona or not.

Pneumonia kills people all the time, some people can go days with pneumonia and feel fine. When I was a high school kid, I had what we thought was a cold but it was not going away, but I felt fine, my mom was worried and took me to the Dr. I said to the Dr., "I feel fine have a look so we can be on our way, I had a wrestling meet this week."

Well it turned out to be pneumonia.

I am sure lots of folk have similar stories...
That sounds like walking pneumonia. Hubby and I have both had that and we both felt relatively fine, too, aside from a cough. Having had a bad case of regular pneumonia a few years ago...the difference was staggering. I literally didn't have the strength to sit up.

DisneyCane

Although I doubt the politicians think in terms of QALY as much as they think in terms of revenue lost... lose a kid to polio that would have theoretically grown up to pay income taxes for many decades and you have serious loss... lose a 60 year old that was about to retire and stop paying taxes and horror of horrors actually start taking money from the government and that's going to hurt... I suspect if it weren't for the fact the older people tend to vote more and the politicians need them to stay in office that they would have already pushed grandpa out the backdoor when he had a heart attack and at most given him a bottle of aspirin and said good luck.

100%. You will never see a politician run on a platform of cutting social security benefits! Notice how every proposal to modify social security always starts with something like, "if you are over 40 today, this won't effect you."

DCBaker

Premium Member
2 more counties in FL will close their beaches and unlike Clearwater, they aren't waiting until Monday.

County officials with Manatee County say the beaches will close starting Friday, March 20 at 6 a.m. In Sarasota County, their beaches will close Saturday, March 21 at 6 a.m.

Lilofan

2 more counties in FL will close their beaches and unlike Clearwater, they aren't waiting until Monday.

County officials with Manatee County say the beaches will close starting Friday, March 20 at 6 a.m. In Sarasota County, their beaches will close Saturday, March 21 at 6 a.m.

I know life is slow in the South but this doesn't even make sense.

JoeCamel

I know life is slow in the South but this doesn't even make sense.
IT is for the beach business that they delay closing the beach. A bone as it were

They took care of Clearwater, the county closed all beaches tomorrow night. Should spur Clearwater to do the same.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

Pnumonia caused by coronavirus. Similar situations happen with the Flu, its not the Flu per say that kills a lot of people, but the pnuemonia they develop from catching the flu. About 30% of pneumonia cases are caused by viruses like the flu.

You can read what happened on his facebook page (His sister was doing daily updates): https://www.facebook.com/jeffghazarian

tallica

“The time lag between diagnosis and death is even longer — researchers have already established it takes about a month to die of covid-19. So in places where there has been poor testing (including the U.K., where testing is focused on those at risk of severe illness), deaths attributed to the coronavirus are telling us that transmission happened five weeks earlier.”

Just taking a wild guess, Italian greetings are very affectionate, hugs, kissing on the cheek, etc. This may have increased the early spread of corona before safety measures where suggested.

orlandogal22

We have lived in the Northern and Southern states. Two different types of thinking, way of life and attitudes. Both enjoyable areas to live in.

I've lived 20+ years in both Northeast Ohio and Orlando (also lived in Staten Island).
Orlando is light years ahead of what I experienced in NE Ohio. Orlando and many other cities in Florida and their ways of thinking (i.e. openness to different cultures, peoples, etc.), not to mention available services, technology available, community amenities, employment), etc. put to shame much of what I knew in Ohio (and I bleed Scarlet and Gray still).

Watch painting with a broad brush. ;) I don't think it had anything to do w/ a different type of thinking and everything to do with logistics - whether it be economic, labor / workforce, or security coordination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom