Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyLuv'r

..even though supply lines haven't been drastically impacted for supermarkets. Slowed a little, yes, but they haven't come to a screeching halt because no one can drive anywhere. I'm fully aware that this is a pandemic.

Um, okay.

This thread- or maybe it was an earlier one - started with people saying coronavirus wouldn't come to the USA.

Then folks said WDW wouldn't shut down. Or sports.

Earlier in this thread you yourself said closing the schools in your state was an overreaction. Now your state has over 250+ cases. In one day, it jumped from 218 to 256.

Then, you were mad at people for doing what they were told to do, which was to stock up on essential goods so they could avoid going out in public as much as possible.

Now you are convinced that supply lines aren't going to be impacted in any significant way.

If that's your take, so be it.

Personally, I'm just not going to get mad at ordinary people for not knowing what to do in this situation. If they buy a little paper, eh.

Jumpr71

As of today, there have been 15 confirmed cases in the US, and 8 in Canada, with only 1 death in Canada and none in the US. All 23 of these cases were acquired in China, minus 2 family members who contracted the disease from one of the cases that returned from China with the virus. Compare this to the 74,675 confirmed cases and 2,121 deaths in China.

Currently, all direct flights from China to the US are limited to 11 airports, where every passenger undergoes intense screening before they are allowed to leave. So far, community acquired infections have been limited to China, so unless this changes, the only place new cases in the US could come from are China, and that route of spread seems to be successfully blocked at present.

So far, the coordination between the CDC, the WHO and all the various national health organizations has been pretty impressive. I'm cautiously optimistic that they have this one under control.
Yeah...this didn’t age well.

LittleBuford

Then, you were mad at people for doing what they were told to do, which was to stock up on essential goods so they could avoid going out in public as much as possible.

This in unfair. The anger you’re referring to has been directed at those who are panic-buying and hoarding. No-one is being told to buy more than what they need; quite the opposite, in fact.

Kevin_W

That sounds like walking pneumonia. Hubby and I have both had that and we both felt relatively fine, too, aside from a cough. Having had a bad case of regular pneumonia a few years ago...the difference was staggering. I literally didn't have the strength to sit up.
I had walking pneumonia once. My doctor jokingly said the difference between walking pneumonia and regular pneumonia is that walking pneumonia is when you are too stupid to stay laying in bed. :)

ImperfectPixie

This in unfair. The anger you’re referring to has been directed at those who are panic-buying and hoarding. No-one is being told to buy more than what they need; quite the opposite, in fact.
Thank you. That's exactly what it is. We're on day 8 of supermarkets still being wiped out of meat, TP, canned goods, etc.

ETA: Also, (and I could be remembering wrong), but I thought what I wrote in regards to our schools was that they disinfected too early because they're just going to need to do it again.

MickeyLuv'r

On a side not, does anybody have any links to articles that explain what on earth is going on in Italy with respect to this virus? They locked down the entire country ten days ago but are still clearly on the upslope of the outbreak curve and it doesn't really seem to be flattening there. I know the incubation period can be 14 days or longer but it can also be as short as two days. Surely, all of these positive tests weren't people infected before 3/9?

The upslope of the curve in South Korea only lasted about a week and that is with doing a ton of testing that would lead to more confirmed mild or asymptomatic cases.

I realize that Italy skews older in demographics but their mortality rate is over 8% of confirmed cases which is over twice that of China (assuming those numbers are somewhat accurate) and significantly higher than other Western countries.

Are they only testing and confirming very ill patients?
We don't really know, but it could be a difference in the genetics of the population, or maybe even some kind of nutritional difference.

MickeyLuv'r

Safer for strangers driving on the road with you, but more dangerous for your own family. Our local groceries are closing at 8PM. I suppose some peole who usually went out clubbing or usually stopped for a "drink or two" after work could start drinking earlier in the day now that they're stuck at home, but social drinkers might be less of a threat. Certainly my husband and I did not start drinking more upon retirement, and unless we have company for brunch, a holiday meal midday, etc we do not drink any alcohol until evening.
Where I live, I'm sure some folks are buying alcohol to stock to drink, but also, good luck finding isopropyl alcohol or even any kind of cleaning supplies.

So I suspect some folks are buying drinking alcohol for purposes beyond drinking it.

DisneyCane

Where I live, I'm sure some folks are buying alcohol to stock to drink, but also, good luck finding isopropyl alcohol or even any kind of cleaning supplies.

So I suspect some folks are buying drinking alcohol for purposes beyond drinking it.

If they are buying very expensive antiseptic, they'd better make sure it is 120 proof or higher.

21stamps

True Story.

8ED1834D-F2BE-4F15-9A42-BA7F0C145070.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom