Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhwdw

Shanghai Disneyland is now starting phased opening so it's a good sign at least.
I'm confused. Didn't everything expect the Theme Park Open at SDL a week or so ago?

Saw the article Steve wrote this morning. How long would we have to be without FOF/HEA? Would that get WDW opened faster?? In DLP before it closed, Princesses instead of meeting Guests, DLP did a Greeting Parade with the Princess float from Pirates/Princess.

Is that something MK could do? A fast MISI maybe?

VaderTron

I keep seeing these reports about 100+ million Americans will become infected. As of yesterday, the CDC shows appx 4,250 cases in the entire USA.

According to theses reports, we will see over 99.9 million new cases even with social distancing and shelter in place being active? Doesn't seem very effective.

And yes, I'm aware that many people haven't been tested and the numbers could be higher. But only 100 people have actually died which is a ridiculously small amount considering there is no vaccine for this and it's been over 4 weeks since cases started popping up.

I was in a meeting last Tuesday. Someone announces that her students were exposed to COVID-19 while working in the hospital. But she decided to come to this two hour meeting with us all.

Since Saturday night, I’ve had a sporadic fever, chills, significant throat mucus, a sore throat, muscle aches, fatigue and some shortness of breath (not dangerous—I’m pretty fit, so I just notice I get winded after walking for 15 min or so, which is quite unusual for me.).

I’m told my symptoms are not severe enough for a prescription to get tested. Fair enough; I certainly don’t need to be hospitalized. I’m a reasonable person, so I’m self-isolating. Not everyone is reasonable.

My wife is now sick.

My children also, although it’s far more mild for them.

Does this sound familiar?

Here's why the numbers are wrong. You have at least 4 people in the same household of @MansionButler84 (feel free to correct if needed) that are told they cannot be tested even though they have a direct link to a Covid-19 case. How many more do you think there are? The issue is there are so many variables and unknowns that make this a risk. How many people have moderate or mild symptoms and don't care; they keep interacting with society anyway? Why are some healthy, younger people getting so sick while others are not? It's the unknowns that make this dangerous. The spread may be to hundreds of thousands already and clearly we don't know for certain who will or won't have a hard time with this virus. Hindsight is 20/20. In many cases foresight is blind or blurry at best.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm confused. Didn't everything expect the Theme Park Open at SDL a week or so ago?

Saw the article Steve wrote this morning. How long would we have to be without FOF/HEA? Would that get WDW opened faster?? In DLP before it closed, Princesses instead of meeting Guests, DLP did a Greeting Parade with the Princess float from Pirates/Princess.

Is that something MK could do? A fast MISI maybe?

They opened the shopping area and part of the resorts but not the actual park.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I certainly don’t want this to turn out bad, but wishing for a better outcome isn’t going to get me anywhere.
What do you mean by "bad"?

1) If you're talking about a lot of people being infected -- that's going to happen
2) If you're talking about a lot of people being mildly ill -- that will likely happen, too
3) If you're talking about a lot of people being seriously ill -- Now it depends on what you mean by "a lot"...
4) If you're talking about a lot of people dying from COVID-19. -- Ditto.

And this doesn't even begin to cover the economic consequences.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What do you mean by "bad"?

1) If you're talking about a lot of people being infected -- that's going to happen
2) If you're talking about a lot of people being mildly ill -- that will likely happen, too
3) If you're talking about a lot of people being seriously ill -- Now it depends on what you mean by "a lot"...
4) If you're talking about a lot of people dying from COVID-19. -- Ditto.

And this doesn't even begin to cover the economic consequences.
I agree that everything you said is likely to happen at this point. I don’t want that to be the case, but I can’t do much to stop it at this point.

ToTBellHop

I’m not allowed a test. I don’t need a respirator. Look at what the shortness of breath has done to my resting heart rate since I started feeling ill Saturday:
5B44F847-388E-4016-A390-140F7B89A438.png

21stamps

Question-

If this is spreading like wildfire, why is my neighboring county still at 6 cases, 4 being 1 household?
Shouldn’t we know how many have been tested in that county?

When people are asking for data.. this is why. It is an incomplete picture with more questions than answers.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's interesting to watch the media shift their coverage now to the "terrified doctors and nurses".
Here's why the numbers are wrong. You have at least 4 people in the same household of @MansionButler84 (feel free to correct if needed) that are told they cannot be tested even though they have a direct link to a Covid-19 case. How many more do you think there are? The issue is there are so many variables and unknowns that make this a risk. How many people have moderate or mild symptoms and don't care; they keep interacting with society anyway? Why are some healthy, younger people getting so sick while others are not? It's the unknowns that make this dangerous. The spread may be to hundreds of thousands already and clearly we don't know for certain who will or won't have a hard time with this virus. Hindsight is 20/20. In many cases foresight is blind or blurry at best.
While you make a valid point, it's still heavily based on speculation. But even if there are thousands or even hundreds of thousands more infected, the death toll isnt skyrocketing. Especially considering that those hundreds of thousands are getting no treatment at all.

There are however, solid facts about the recovery rate which is being COMPLETELY ignored by the same people who continue to spread fear, the media.

VaderTron

I think the logic is that there's a barrier (effective or not, I wouldn't pretend to guess) for characters that aren't face characters.
I don't see the point of ANY meet-n-greets. What is the goal of every child and even many adults? Hug their favorite character. The costume may protect the occupant, but are they going to spray down the costume after every person who comes in and hugs Baymax or Mickey? Are they not going to let the kids and other guests touch the character? What a sad thought that some kids who had a lineup of meet-n-greets set for this spring and have to cancel because of this situation may now miss out on this time-honored tradition altogether.

Last edited:

PeoplemoverTTA

I would not want to be interviewed whether currently infected or recovered. I would stay anonymous all throughout. The paranoia of people and their judgement.

This ⬆️

You don't know what people will do if they find out who people are with the virus. I saw on the news a woman who has recovered (or is still recovering, but is back at home) posted to Facebook in frustration over people not taking it seriously.

JohnD

It's interesting to watch the media shift their coverage now to the "terrified doctors and nurses".

While you make a valid point, it's still heavily based on speculation. But even if there are thousands or even hundreds of thousands more infected, the death toll isnt skyrocketing. Especially considering that those hundreds of thousands are getting no treatment at all.

There are however, solid facts about the recovery rate which is being COMPLETELY ignored by the same people who continue to spread fear, the media.

I'm with you 1,000 percent. But I know several doctors who are taking this seriously. So I'm somewhere in the middle, keeping my head down trying not to listen to the media but following CDC guidance.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I keep seeing these reports about 100+ million Americans will become infected. As of yesterday, the CDC shows appx 4,250 cases in the entire USA.

According to theses reports, we will see over 99.9 million new cases even with social distancing and shelter in place being active? Doesn't seem very effective.

And yes, I'm aware that many people haven't been tested and the numbers could be higher. But only 100 people have actually died which is a ridiculously small amount considering there is no vaccine for this and it's been over 4 weeks since cases started popping up.

Exponential growth starts slow, but we're just at the beginning of this.

It took 3 months to reach 100,000 cases worldwide and 12 days to reach 200,000.

Hopefully the measures that are being taken will be enough to flatten the curve and not overwhelm the healthcare system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom