Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

Sorry if this was already posted but this does seem to be significant for both WDW and a return to normalcy.

Like other assumptions made at the beginning of this terrible pandemic, some recommendations by leading and respected medical professionals appear to be wrong. I do wonder what would have been the reaction if this had been announced in early January.

From Yahoo News:

End the hygiene theater, CDC says​

Alexander Nazaryan
·National Correspondent
Mon, April 5, 2021, 1:34 PM

It’s time to unplug the sanitizing robots and put away the bottles of Clorox that seem to line the entrances to every school, restaurant and supermarket wanting to advertise its safety protocols. While such protocols may be reassuring to an anxious populace, they are not necessary, says a revised guidance issued on Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“It is possible for people to be infected through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects (fomites), but the risk is generally considered to be low,” the new CDC guidance says, estimating that the chance of contracting the coronavirus through surface transmission is lower than 1 in 10,000.

The coronavirus is spread almost exclusively by airborne and aerosolized particles, as scientists have known for months. Despite scientists’ growing certitude about how the pathogen is transmitted, many establishments have continued to insist on strict sanitization protocols. In some school districts, for example, classrooms close for full-day “deep cleaning.”

The persistence of such practices has led to the advent of a derisive term — “hygiene theater” — to describe rituals that appear to do little to stop the virus from spreading. It is not clear if the CDC’s new guidance will lower the curtain on those theatrics, given how entrenched some of those practices have become.

“If we took half the effort that’s being given to disinfection, and we put it on ventilation, that will be huge,” University of Colorado atmospheric chemist Jose-Luis Jimenez told the scientific publication Nature for an article published last month.

Scientists’ changing understanding of the virus has made it difficult for public health experts and elected officials to offer the public consistent advice.

For example, when the pandemic began, Americans were told that face masks were not necessary. That guidance was later amended after it became clear that masks kept a sick person from spreading the disease. Still later, scientists acknowledged that masks also protected the wearer.

The Biden administration has continued to ask people to wear face masks, but months of confusion and contradiction have likely attenuated the impact of that message.

The science regarding fomites has followed a similar route. At first, the World Health Organization said the coronavirus was not airborne but instead was transmitted primarily through “respiratory droplets and contact routes,” a mistaken assertion that has been criticized since it was made in March 2020.

It was around that time that the U.S. saw surging demand for heavy-duty disinfectants that would kill any trace of virus on a surface. But as researchers have discovered, such traces are usually relatively small and have a difficult time finding a new human host. What’s more, simple cleaning agents appear to be effective against the virus, obviating the need for more advanced (and expensive) disinfectants.

“In most situations, cleaning surfaces using soap or detergent, and not disinfecting, is enough to reduce risk,” says the new guidance, which was introduced by Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC director, during a Monday briefing of the White House COVID-19 response team.

The use of such disinfectants, the CDC says, is necessary only if a person known to be infected with the coronavirus has been inside the space in question within the previous 24 hours. But because it can be difficult for restaurants and other high-volume establishments to know whether a patron is infected — a difficulty compounded by the scarcity of rapid testing — it is likely that as unnecessary and expensive as such measures are, the hygiene theater will go on.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
please please please please let it be Fantasmic
That one makes a whole lot of sense. I think some of the other shows at DHS could be needed sooner than later too. If you increase park capacity you need something for everyone to do and the shows are people eaters, especially Indy and Fantasmic. Sounds like Steve knows news on at least something is coming out soon. In theory we should start to hear about cast being called back too. Exciting times.

I am no insider and don’t claim to know stuff as a certainty, but I stand by my original comment that on April 5th it’s too early to say there will be no entertainment back this Summer other than Lion King. The Summer ends 5 months from now. The situation is entirely too fluid to assume we know much of anything that will be happening come July or August. Stuff is changing by the day. 5 months might as well be 5 years in terms of accuracy of projections.

TrainsOfDisney

Sorry if this was already posted but this does seem to be significant for both WDW and a return to normalcy.

Like other assumptions made at the beginning of this terrible pandemic, some recommendations by leading and respected medical professionals appear to be wrong. I do wonder what would have been the reaction if this had been announced in early January.

From Yahoo News:

Alexander Nazaryan
·National Correspondent

It’s time to unplug the sanitizing robots and put away the bottles of Clorox that seem to line the entrances to every school, restaurant and supermarket wanting to advertise its safety protocols. While such protocols may be reassuring to an anxious populace, they are not necessary, says a revised guidance issued on Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“It is possible for people to be infected through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects (fomites), but the risk is generally considered to be low,” the new CDC guidance says, estimating that the chance of contracting the coronavirus through surface transmission is lower than 1 in 10,000.

The coronavirus is spread almost exclusively by airborne and aerosolized particles, as scientists have known for months. Despite scientists’ growing certitude about how the pathogen is transmitted, many establishments have continued to insist on strict sanitization protocols. In some school districts, for example, classrooms close for full-day “deep cleaning.”

The persistence of such practices has led to the advent of a derisive term — “hygiene theater” — to describe rituals that appear to do little to stop the virus from spreading. It is not clear if the CDC’s new guidance will lower the curtain on those theatrics, given how entrenched some of those practices have become.

“If we took half the effort that’s being given to disinfection, and we put it on ventilation, that will be huge,” University of Colorado atmospheric chemist Jose-Luis Jimenez told the scientific publication Nature for an article published last month.

Scientists’ changing understanding of the virus has made it difficult for public health experts and elected officials to offer the public consistent advice.

For example, when the pandemic began, Americans were told that face masks were not necessary. That guidance was later amended after it became clear that masks kept a sick person from spreading the disease. Still later, scientists acknowledged that masks also protected the wearer.

The Biden administration has continued to ask people to wear face masks, but months of confusion and contradiction have likely attenuated the impact of that message.

The science regarding fomites has followed a similar route. At first, the World Health Organization said the coronavirus was not airborne but instead was transmitted primarily through “respiratory droplets and contact routes,” a mistaken assertion that has been criticized since it was made in March 2020.

It was around that time that the U.S. saw surging demand for heavy-duty disinfectants that would kill any trace of virus on a surface. But as researchers have discovered, such traces are usually relatively small and have a difficult time finding a new human host. What’s more, simple cleaning agents appear to be effective against the virus, obviating the need for more advanced (and expensive) disinfectants.

“In most situations, cleaning surfaces using soap or detergent, and not disinfecting, is enough to reduce risk,” says the new guidance, which was introduced by Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC director, during a Monday briefing of the White House COVID-19 response team.

The use of such disinfectants, the CDC says, is necessary only if a person known to be infected with the coronavirus has been inside the space in question within the previous 24 hours. But because it can be difficult for restaurants and other high-volume establishments to know whether a patron is infected — a difficulty compounded by the scarcity of rapid testing — it is likely that as unnecessary and expensive as such measures are, the hygiene theater will go on.
Cause whenever I walk into a restaurant and see them cleaning the tables or workers washing their hands I immediately think “Hygiene theatre.”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Cause whenever I walk into a restaurant and see them cleaning the tables or workers washing their hands I immediately think “Hygiene theatre.”
I’m totally fine with extra hand washing and cleaning. I hope that never leaves. I think they are specifically talking about is heavy duty cleaning products. Soap and water is more than enough to kill this particular virus.

havoc315

That one makes a whole lot of sense. I think some of the other shows at DHS could be needed sooner than later too. If you increase park capacity you need something for everyone to do and the shows are people eaters, especially Indy and Fantasmic. Sounds like Steve knows news on at least something is coming out soon. In theory we should start to hear about cast being called back too. Exciting times.

I am no insider and don’t claim to know stuff as a certainty, but I stand by my original comment that on April 5th it’s too early to say there will be no entertainment back this Summer other than Lion King. The Summer ends 5 months from now. The situation is entirely too fluid to assume we know much of anything that will be happening come July or August. Stuff is changing by the day. 5 months might as well be 5 years in terms of accuracy of projections.
I agree.... Limited insight into July/August right now.
Disney starts their "summer" May 31st -- That's why I limited my comments to 'early summer'

ParentsOf4

Please note that the CDC still recommends cleaning although, based on your immediate post, it appears you might have reacted without fully reading the article.

Quoting the article:

It was around that time that the U.S. saw surging demand for heavy-duty disinfectants that would kill any trace of virus on a surface. But as researchers have discovered, such traces are usually relatively small and have a difficult time finding a new human host. What’s more, simple cleaning agents appear to be effective against the virus, obviating the need for more advanced (and expensive) disinfectants.​

“In most situations, cleaning surfaces using soap or detergent, and not disinfecting, is enough to reduce risk,” says the new guidance, which was introduced by Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC director, during a Monday briefing of the White House COVID-19 response team.​

In other words, cleaning is still good. However, "heavy-duty disinfectants" probably are not needed.

Chip Chipperson

Also, despite what the headline says, nothing in the article quotes the CDC as saying to stop with the "hygiene theater." Whoever wrote that headline for Yahoo was irresponsible at best and intentionally dishonest at worst.

Bill in Atlanta

From Yahoo News:

The first thing that needs to go when we decide as a society to end the hygiene theater: roped-off outdoor playground equipment. Is it just me, or does this drive anyone else crazy? We've known since June 2020 that the virus can't survive in sunlight. Yet here we are, 10 months later, pretending that swings and slides present some major health risk.. 🤦‍♂️

TrainsOfDisney

The first thing that needs to go when we decide as a society to end the hygiene theater: roped-off outdoor playground equipment. Is it just me, or does this drive anyone else crazy? We've known since June 2020 that the virus can't survive in sunlight. Yet here we are, 10 months later, pretending that swings and slides present some major health risk.. 🤦‍♂️
Where is this still a thing?

sullyinMT

Please note that the CDC still recommends cleaning although, based on your immediate post, it appears you might have reacted without fully reading the article.

Quoting the article:

It was around that time that the U.S. saw surging demand for heavy-duty disinfectants that would kill any trace of virus on a surface. But as researchers have discovered, such traces are usually relatively small and have a difficult time finding a new human host. What’s more, simple cleaning agents appear to be effective against the virus, obviating the need for more advanced (and expensive) disinfectants.​

“In most situations, cleaning surfaces using soap or detergent, and not disinfecting, is enough to reduce risk,” says the new guidance, which was introduced by Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC director, during a Monday briefing of the White House COVID-19 response team.​

In other words, cleaning is still good. However, "heavy-duty disinfectants" probably are not needed.
I’ve also recently been in a hotel where the “seal” sticker was clearly theater. I let the national parent of the franchise know and didn’t complete my stay. It’s that kind of thing that popped in my head when I read the original post.

What has been good in all of this, though, is an increased awareness of cleanliness. Like others, I hope at least that much sticks around.

JAKECOTCenter

Is by summer like June and July this year as masks and social distancing will relaxing or gone soon.
Well it depends on who officially calls the summer season. Disney calls the summer season after Memorial Day but the summer season doesn't start for most until around July

JoeCamel

From Yahoo News:

Alexander Nazaryan
·National Correspondent

I’m totally fine with extra hand washing and cleaning. I hope that never leaves. I think they are specifically talking about is heavy duty cleaning products. Soap and water is more than enough to kill this particular virus.

Quoting the article:

Poor messaging, she (head of CDC) really needs a team to clean up their output. The headline buried the lead which should have been "cleaning surfaces has reduced colds and flu to nothing this season but surfaces are a low covid risk") Really needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom