Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

ONCE AGAIN PROOF OF VACCINATIONS IS NOT A BREACH OF PRIVACY.

Thousands of schools have required proof of vaccines for decades. Other countries have required certain vaccines to enter that country. THIS IS NOT A NEW CONCEPT
I'd have to do research which I don't have time for but there may be a legal difference between public schools and private businesses. Disney has never required or attempted to require proof of a flu shot to enter WDW and I can guarantee you that there is plenty of flu spread on property in normal times. [For the easily triggered, I am not comparing COVID to the flu]

I would be all for a voluntary vaccine pass that provided some kind of benefit like guaranteed RotR boarding groups if you have proof of vaccination (although they'd have to run the ride 24/7. I am not in favor of vaccination required to enter a theme park.

First of all, the vaccines provide nearly 100% protection against severe illness and death for the vaccinated. Therefore, in a place like WDW, if you are vaccinated, you are protected from other guests who aren't.

Second, a vaccine passport required for entry could be construed as discriminatory. Blacks and other minorities are among the groups most resistant to the COVID vaccine. I could easily make an argument that requiring a COVID vaccine to enter a business is a discriminatory practice.

As I've said before, I want everybody to get vaccinated. However, I do not agree with a punitive passport type system. I want a "back to normal" pass system for the people who get vaccinated.

ABQ

Except, it currently isn't fading:

I hope this is just a temporary blip, but we've screwed this up enough times in the past and failed to learn the proper lessons every time... so let's just say my bet is that this is going to get worse again before it gets better.
Here's some visuals,
1617107739332.png

4 Countries sort of leading the uptick:

1617107781359.png

Here's USA data and 4 states which are leading to trouble here:
1617107828666.png

1617107848924.png

CatesMom

Second, a vaccine passport required for entry could be construed as discriminatory. Blacks and other minorities are among the groups most resistant to the COVID vaccine. I could easily make an argument that requiring a COVID vaccine to enter a business is a discriminatory practice.
States and localities are making great efforts to reach vulnerable communities with the vaccine. Their hesitancy has dropped substantially, and white men are now the most vaccine-resistant (and vocally so) group. I doubt we would argue that a prospective vaccine passport discriminates against white men.

MrMichaelJames

As much as I love everything Disney, the state of Florida is sure making it easy for me to decide to never spend money in its borders again if they continue doing what they are doing. I will cruise out of different ports, go to Disney Land instead and go to different beaches.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As much as I love everything Disney, the state of Florida is sure making it easy for me to decide to never spend money in its borders again if they continue doing what they are doing. I will cruise out of different ports, go to Disney Land instead and go to different beaches.
May I recommend flying out to Seattle or Vancouver and doing an Alaskan cruise? Worth it, IMO.

The Mom

Premium Member
Ugh you are way off the flu is practically non-existent this year. There have been about 1500 CASES between sept 2020 and March of 2021. So no. Flu deaths are NOT exceeding covid at all, no where even close.
Please note that the post you are responding to was made over a year ago. So it was true at the time it was posted, but obviously is not true today. It didn't age well.

havoc315

See this right here is then problem. On one hand it’s “get you vaccine so we can go back to normal”. That is immediately followed up by “you have to keep wearing your mask because we don’t know how effective the vaccine is against all variants, we don’t know how long the vaccine lasts, and we don’t know if you still spread the virus once vaccinated”. The mask police are actively creating millions of more people not taking the vaccine. If your life doesn’t change for getting the vaccine, there is no reason to get it.

You're missing the perspective of scientists and or many countries including Israel -- Your life absolutely does improve with a vaccine.
You go from NO GATHERINGS to gatherings with mask and social distancing. That's a HUGE life improvement.

So no vaccine = no sports events, no theaters, no concerts, no museums, no non-essential shopping, no theme parks, no office working, no gyms, etc..
With vaccine == Yes, you can go to sports arenas, museums, theme parks, shopping, offices, etc... but with a mask and varying levels of social distancing.
And for places that utilize a vaccine passport -- where it's exclusively vaccinated individuals present, you can take off your mask in restaurants and gatherings that are 100% vaccinated.

And this is the direction most public health officials and scientists believe we need to go until/unless we reach herd immunity (or the virus is weakened in other ways).

And for someone under 50 without any pre-existing conditions, there’s almost zero risk of dying from COVID.

Tell that to the 3 people I know under 50 who died without any significant pre-existing conditions. (over 50% of Americans under 50 have 1 or more "pre-existing" conditions.)

And before you say that there are possible long term side effects, there could also be long term side effects from the vaccine. We don’t know yet. And I say this as someone signed up for their vaccine Friday. If you want more people to get vaccinated, tell them they can go out maskless once they get it.

How's this -- Get a vaccine and you can go to theaters, museums, sports events, shopping malls.. etc. But wear your mask. If you don't get your vaccine, you can't go to any of those places. That's how it's working in Israel.
That's sadly not going to be how it works here as we are already far more "open" than we should be at this stage of the pandemic.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, we're not, so...

Also who gets to say when it's over? Is that with zero cases? 1 year? 10 years from now?

Slippery slope. Powerful people don't like to give up power and control once they have it, it's just a fact of life proven time and time again throughout history.

Interesting, because in my state they shut down all non-essential businesses last March, but let them re-open a couple months later when conditions improved. Almost like they are trying to protect public health instead of take control of our society.

DisneyCane

Interesting, because in my state they shut down all non-essential businesses last March, but let them re-open a couple months later when conditions improved. Almost like they are trying to protect public health instead of take control of our society.
Of course nobody seems to notice that many places stayed restricted for most of last year and then started loosening restrictions at a time when "the numbers" were worse. One example is NY allowing football fans in the playoffs but not previously. "The numbers" were better at the beginning of the season.

I also don't think they are consciously trying to control people. They just believe that they know best and that they should be doing whatever they have to in order to protect people. The result is taking away freedoms and controlling society.

Polkadotdress

I understand some people get a charge out of having an App on their personal electronic device yet the simple little vaccination card accomplishes the same thing. Tech is a wonderful thing until the smart device gets wet or there is a power outage. Just saying.
Oh my goodness. You make it sound as if our cell phones are "newfangled devices" that just debuted last week. So many phones CAN get wet and even be submerged in water. And a power outage hardly causes an issue because many people have portable charging bricks.

So, tech is hardly a "do not pass go" issue for this and we are not living in a "Carousel of Progress" era.

FantasiaMickey2000

You're missing the perspective of scientists and or many countries including Israel -- Your life absolutely does improve with a vaccine.
You go from NO GATHERINGS to gatherings with mask and social distancing. That's a HUGE life improvement.

So no vaccine = no sports events, no theaters, no concerts, no museums, no non-essential shopping, no theme parks, no office working, no gyms, etc..
With vaccine == Yes, you can go to sports arenas, museums, theme parks, shopping, offices, etc... but with a mask and varying levels of social distancing.
And for places that utilize a vaccine passport -- where it's exclusively vaccinated individuals present, you can take off your mask in restaurants and gatherings that are 100% vaccinated.

And this is the direction most public health officials and scientists believe we need to go until/unless we reach herd immunity (or the virus is weakened in other ways).

Tell that to the 3 people I know under 50 who died without any significant pre-existing conditions. (over 50% of Americans under 50 have 1 or more "pre-existing" conditions.)

How's this -- Get a vaccine and you can go to theaters, museums, sports events, shopping malls.. etc. But wear your mask. If you don't get your vaccine, you can't go to any of those places. That's how it's working in Israel.
That's sadly not going to be how it works here as we are already far more "open" than we should be at this stage of the pandemic.
I think we are saying the same thing here. Your post is saying if you don’t get the vaccine then you aren’t allowed to do things in other countries. That’s not how it is here. You’ve been able to do mass gathering events like Disney for 9 months now without a vaccine. Until that changes, a lot of people won’t get it. As of now, it doesn’t change your day to day life at all.

And your ancetodal experience with covid is unfortunately irrelevant. The data doesn’t support it. Less than 5% of COVID deaths in the US are people under 50 despite people under 50 making up about 65% of the population. That number shrinks to 1.5% for people under 40 and 0.4% for people under 30. If you are in one of these younger adult groups and don’t have a serious medical condition, your risk of death is microscopic. That’s the scientific fact born out in the data.

If we want to get people to take the vaccine they need a reason to. That can be rewarding them by removing mask and social distancing requirements or punishing them by requiring vaccine passports. But rewarding them will work faster than punitive measures which would undoubtedly end up in court.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh my goodness. You make it sound as if our cell phones are "newfangled devices" that just debuted last week. So many phones CAN get wet and even be submerged in water. And a power outage hardly causes an issue because many people have portable charging bricks.

So, tech is hardly a "do not pass go" issue for this and we are not living in a "Carousel of Progress" era.
I see it only as a problem for those without smart phones. My mom and mil don't like them don't have them:rolleyes:

Heppenheimer

See this right here is then problem. On one hand it’s “get you vaccine so we can go back to normal”. That is immediately followed up by “you have to keep wearing your mask because we don’t know how effective the vaccine is against all variants, we don’t know how long the vaccine lasts, and we don’t know if you still spread the virus once vaccinated”. The mask police are actively creating millions of more people not taking the vaccine. If your life doesn’t change for getting the vaccine, there is no reason to get it. And for someone under 50 without any pre-existing conditions, there’s almost zero risk of dying from COVID. And before you say that there are possible long term side effects, there could also be long term side effects from the vaccine. We don’t know yet. And I say this as someone signed up for their vaccine Friday. If you want more people to get vaccinated, tell them they can go out maskless once they get it.
Your right that we don't know for certain yet... but the absolute latest a side effect shows up that can be conclusively linked to any vaccines we know of from over a century of research is about 3 months. This is approximately the limit for the latency period of Guillan-Barre syndrome. None of the trials saw a single case of Guillan-Barre syndrome, and of the millions of people who have received the vaccines so far worldwide, I have not read any reports of a case of this condition following vaccination.

So, the vaccines are extremely safe. They've more than passed the same safety thresholds that we have applied to every other vaccine in history.

seascape

I am getting tired of bad news. The cases nationally are up again today. NJ shouldbe happy. they are up to 50 today but Michigan is at 51 and NY at 52. There is no excuse for those increases. Florida is at 24 again today. There is a tiny amount of good news as there are now 13 states in single digits.

Now, my biggest complaint from yesterday goes to Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who said she is fearful of the consequences of the new upturn. There is no excuse for creating a situation of doom and gloom when we are vaccinating approximately 3 million people a day and it is NY, Michigan, NJ, Pennsylvania, Delaware and New England that is driving the increase. Afterall, California has 7 cases per 100,000 and Texas has 13. Combined Texas, California and Florida have a daily average of 11,674 while NY alone has a daily average of 10,033. Think about that, the top 3 populated states have only 16.35% more cases combined than the 4th most populated state. That is just insane! There may be a reason to be fearful about the Northeast and their stupid population but the rest of the country is doing well. What do they have on common? What is it about their stupidity, and since I own and live in both NY and NJ, I have a right to yell ar my neighbors. They are the ones keeping this pandemic going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom