Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Experience

Hang on. Just to make sure I understand... the people who refuse to get a vaccine due to it lacking FDA approval (or some other reason) ... they only pose a threat to other non-vaccinated people, correct? What would vaccinated people have to fear?
Every virus is like a lottery player buying a ticket. Almost all will not win, and in this analogy when there is a winner they do not win if they cannot quickly find a vaccinated person to replicate in. But if there is a winner then we may all have to get a booster shot someday and have to mitigate the spread once again.

So we want as few "lottery" tickets so that a winning ticket is unlikely. (The winning ticket is one that has selection bias when in a vaccinated host). We want people to get vaccinated globally, but as a start nationally and locally. National borders can have controls to mitigate risk until the world is vaccinated.

(i.e. selective bias helps the mutated virus over non-mutated virus replicate better only if there are hosts that the bias helps it to replicate better (i.e. the vaccinated)

So every unvaccinated person is a potential hosts to virus who play the lottery game. So they are a threat to the vaccinated. If we get enough people vaccinated and the virus dies out, then the unvaccinated are not a threat because there is little or no virus to infect them either.

GimpYancIent

This is all really surreal. The testing and contact tracing seemed like really good ideas until government bureaucracy actually inhibited the efficiency and effectiveness of accomplishing things efficiently. The distribution and administering of vaccines has been made difficult and inefficient by government bureaucracy just getting an appointment regardless of your at risk category is a major task that until recently had to be repeated twice. Now vaccine passports! More opportunity to create unnecessary harassment, stress and more bureaucratic hoops to jump through. I am perfectly happy with the old school, simple, CDC card showing completion of the vaccination sequence. That should be plenty.

disneygeek90

This is all really surreal. The testing and contact tracing seemed like really good ideas until government bureaucracy actually inhibited the efficiency and effectiveness of accomplishing things efficiently. The distribution and administering of vaccines has been made difficult and inefficient by government bureaucracy just getting an appointment regardless of your at risk category is a major task that until recently had to be repeated twice. Now vaccine passports! More opportunity to create unnecessary harassment, stress and more bureaucratic hoops to jump through. I am perfectly happy with the old school, simple, CDC card showing completion of the vaccination sequence. That should be plenty.
You do realize how forgeable a cardboard piece of paper with handwritten information on it is, right?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Same can be said about a lot of things. Say social security cards for instance. Even disgusting paper money.
I never thought
1617055763094.png
was disgusting

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good point! I thought Mickey Dollars went out of circulation though.
They stopped printing them but believe they still have to accept them. You'd have to be crazy to use them at Disney because they're now collectors items graded like money and baseball cards. To me the "ice cream" stained one holds special memories even if it's only "worth" a dollar

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Considering the logistics needed to vaccinate hundreds of millions of people in a matter of a few months and do it twice for the majority of them I actually think the vaccine rollout has gone pretty well. Not without its frustrations and challenges, but the US is way ahead of almost every country in vaccine distribution and vaccinations. Not all the credit goes to the government, but it’s been better than expected IMHO. Vaccine passports if desired could be quite simple for the government to implement. They could just use the paper cards but since so many people carry smart phones these days anyway an app seems much more desirable. No worries about losing the card or theft or forgeries and it’s always with you in case you need it. I still don’t know if they will ever be used in this country. I think today’s announcement in FL says it all. It won’t go well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Every place that has ever administered a shot would have had to have everyone that got a shot on list that can be imported into a Federal data bank. That would take time.

Then there's the lawsuits. That would take time.

Then by the time it's settled law, it would be too late...

... for this pandemic. But, best be prepared for the next.

Chi84

Premium Member
In my opinion, people way overemphasize lawsuits as a factor. If society wants vaccine passports, they’ll happen. I think it’s too early to predict how widespread they’ll be, but it’s necessary to start developing the technology now.

GimpYancIent

Every place that has ever administered a shot would have had to have everyone that got a shot on list that can be imported into a Federal data bank. That would take time.

Thank you!

GoofGoof

Premium Member

New York State is already doing this. In theory they could build this out on a national scale where they connect to all 50 states databases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom