Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Probably would have no say in local state businesses. That would get challenged.

Same reason why President Biden was only able to do the mask mandate for Federal Facilities
Depending on the scope of the orders or laws, I can see them possibly impacting interstate travel or other areas of commerce. Biden is also able to do mask mandates on public transportation in this country.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Hot take: I don't mind the idea of vaccine passports but I'm well aware that it's divisive and will create even more inequities
Very true... but here is the rub: Once vaccinated? You already HAVE a Covid19 Passport. (Huh?)
It's your CDC Covid19 Vaccination Card. Paper, just like a real Passport. No Digital System? No problem - everyone will demand to see the card. Which one must now carry :(.

Now - Congress COULD pass a law BANNING establishments from demanding that you produce vaccination proof. I'm stocking up on Popcorn for that fight 😅

Bill in Atlanta

Vaccinated people don't have anything to fear, generally.

That leaves two other groups:
1. People who legitimately cannot take the vaccine who will forever be at-risk of contracting Covid from others.
2. People who are otherwise able but refuse to be vaccinated.

Group #1 is forever going to be screwed by group #2 who will of course continue to kill off their vulnerable friends and family to prove a point about not becoming Cuba.
I don't know enough about group #1, but googling around it doesn't sound like a particularly high number. And even if group #2 didn't exist, wouldn't group #1s need to be careful out in public anyway, knowing there are other group #1s out there?

seabreezept813

Why do people think that wearing a mask is so hard? The thing weighs nothing and I wear it for 10 hours or more at work and doesn't restrict my breathing or any of my coworkers. Then people say it takes away their freedom! These same places that require you to wear a mask also require you to wear shirt and shoes!! So where are all the shirt and shoes protesters? How come people are not burning the shoes and shirts?
Right.. I wore a kn95 and surgical one teaching all year while pregnant. And I wore one two weeks ago during labor and delivery for my daughter... but wearing one in the grocery store is tough? Give me a break..

Roy G. Dis

I don't know enough about group #1, but googling around it doesn't sound like a particularly high number. And even if group #2 didn't exist, wouldn't group #1s need to be careful out in public anyway, knowing there are other group #1s out there?
Yes, but you're missing the point. Group #2 should get vaccinated to reduce the risk to themselves and others.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Group 1 is tiny. If there was no group 2 it would be perfectly safe for group 1 to never get a vaccine because Covid would be completely gone. That‘s what everyone loses out on with vaccine resistance, but it’s still possible the virus could be reduced to a great degree without 100% vaccination. We just have to hope there aren’t that many people who are afraid of a needle. Time will tell.

pixie225

Very true... but here is the rub: Once vaccinated? You already HAVE a Covid19 Passport. (Huh?)
It's your CDC Covid19 Vaccination Card. Paper, just like a real Passport. No Digital System? No problem - everyone will demand to see the card. Which one must now carry :(.

Now - Congress COULD pass a law BANNING establishments from demanding that you produce vaccination proof. I'm stocking up on Popcorn for that fight 😅
I am all for a vaccination "passport" of some kind. Should not be that hard for the government to access the information by pressing a key on a computer, as all the info should be logged in somewhere. (they put my info directly into a computer before my shots). Looking at my vaccine card I fear pretty much anyone with any kind of computer skill (except me - kind of computer illiterate ) can somehow copy/forge it. There are just dates, name of vaccine, and a code of some kind and the initials of who injected it- all handwritten. No barcodes, no official stamp. Really no way to scan the card.

Animaniac93-98

Both ON and Quebec are consistently having problems with no shows for vaccine appointments. Many seniors are having difficulty making the bookings or getting to the clinics.

Then I see this one day later. A story from each of those provinces.

mmascari

You guys are living inside an alternate reality if you think WDW is going to go to no-masks, no-social distancing without any way to verify that people aren't going around spreading Covid. In this very thread on this very page there is a dude saying he'll never get vaccinated. And he's supposed to go butt-to-butt with everyone else with no mask in a huge crowd? You call that freedom? I call that cruel and unusual punishment.
It's really not that hard to imagine. Once community spread is low enough, all the mitigations will go away. Sliding scale, not all at once. No need to verify anything about anyone once spread has been reduced low enough.

Hang on. Just to make sure I understand... the people who refuse to get a vaccine due to it lacking FDA approval (or some other reason) ... they only pose a threat to other non-vaccinated people, correct? What would vaccinated people have to fear?
It doesn't work like that, the vaccine is not a super power. It's a numbers game here. When community spread is low, nobody needs to worry much. You're simply not likely to run into the virus. When spread is high, everyone should be worried and take mitigation actions, for different reasons. Enough vaccinated people will keep community spread low.

The fear for vaccinated people is that while spread is still high, there's enough virus vaccinated people exposures that a mutation the vaccine is less effective against emerges. Which would cause us to repeat this entire cycle. Hence, the desire of vaccinated people to get community spread low enough that there are very few interactions between the virus and a vaccinated person, one where the vaccinated person always comes out on top.

If we can keep up all the mitigations by everyone that were keeping spread from being completely out of control (to the extent they did) while at the same time vaccinating enough people (as fast as possible) to get above the threshold where spread becomes unlikely without needing mitigations anymore, we'll see a rapid and dramatic drop off. That's the goal to shoot for and the shortest way back to normal. Bonus if we can do it before kids under 16 or 12 can use the vaccine.

Chomama

That would be my biggest concern with mandating testing. If you fly somewhere and then test positive you are essentially stuck there for up to several weeks.
This just happened to a family member who went to Mexico for a trip with her husband. Tested positive on the way home and she had to stay behind in a hotel room for ten days. Food was delivered to her room. It was obviously a massive inconvenience as they have 4 kids AND the kids all developed symptomatic Covid as well. That said, she knew the risks and still chose to travel, possibly infecting many other on the way. If you want to avoid that you should not be traveling.

seascape

And they should ban companies from prohibiting smoking or having smoking sections!
As a former smoker I always than people when I see them smoke. In turn. they always looked shocked and ask why. I tell them how much I appreciate their subsidizing me by paying so much in taxes. However, I still want themeparks smoke free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom