Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

You’re only looking at half of it. The potential law would prevent local governments from enacting vaccine passport mandates. Requiring vaccine passports to enter a private business creates a class division. Just like how a business cannot discriminate based off race and gender, they shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate based off vaccination. Everyone should be allowed to play a part in society.
This isn’t a law. It is an executive order. Rule by unilateral fiat of the very sort that you claim he is defending against. He has decided to singlehandedly remove the rights of private businesses and local communities to determine what is best for themselves.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

JAKECOTCenter

The bill had 0 Republican votes in the house or senate and even had a Democrat vote no in the houses. Technically speaking that’s bipartisan opposition, not support. In substance it’s a vote down party lines. And the first stimulus bill didn’t save Trump. This bill won’t help Biden either. If anything, it will hurt him because some people thought he promised an additional $2k and only sent $1.4K.
That's very true. It should've been 2k (monthly), but the voters, not the congressmen and senators supported the bill far and wide

Tom P.

You’re only looking at half of it. The potential law would prevent local governments from enacting vaccine passport mandates. Requiring vaccine passports to enter a private business creates a class division. Just like how a business cannot discriminate based off race and gender, they shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate based off vaccination. Everyone should be allowed to play a part in society.
Discrimination is not illegal. Businesses discriminate all the time. There are certain, specific, limited classes that are protected and against which you are not permitted to discriminate. Beyond that, it's up to the business to decide what they want of their customer base.

For example, you can't go to Walt Disney World without spending a significant sum of money. A sum of money that quite a good percentage of the American public cannot afford. The admission price, in and of itself, creates a class division. Should Disney not be allowed to charge the price that they want because it prevents poor people from attending?

Or to use a more ridiculous example, eye color is not a protected class. There is nothing, legally speaking, prohibiting Disney from saying that people with blue eyes cannot enter the Magic Kingdom. Nothing what-so-ever. There is no reason for them to do that and it would be monumentally stupid, but they could do it.

celluloid

Correction there. It is only really illegal to make the decision not to hire someone based on their gender or race in Federal Law in many terms.
The rest of what you said is up to the state. There are plenty of women's fitness centers and golf courses that do not allow certain groups access.

It may be bad business sense, and bad publicity on top of that creating more of a nightmare, but it is not illegal.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
He is also fighting this. I wonder where Disney stands on this.. they have already delayed sailings and seem to be doing things their way but they were also at this event where DeSantis wen on his rant. Disney maybe changing their minds ?

I still think Disney's going to hold out the longest of US-based cruises. They'll let others test the literal waters and watch the show first.

JAKECOTCenter

He is also fighting this. I wonder where Disney stands on this.. they have already delayed sailings and seem to be doing things their way but they were also at this event where DeSantis wen on his rant. Disney maybe changing their minds ?

Again, he's a libertarian guy and yet his big government instincts have came out again. It's like a Jekel and Hyde instinct. I mean I don't have a problem with government in many spots like healthcare and unions but cruises?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Discrimination is not illegal. Businesses discriminate all the time. There are certain, specific, limited classes that are protected and against which you are not permitted to discriminate. Beyond that, it's up to the business to decide what they want of their customer base.

For example, you can't go to Walt Disney World without spending a significant sum of money. A sum of money that quite a good percentage of the American public cannot afford. The admission price, in and of itself, creates a class division. Should Disney not be allowed to charge the price that they want because it prevents poor people from attending?

Or to use a more ridiculous example, eye color is not a protected class. There is nothing, legally speaking, prohibiting Disney from saying that people with blue eyes cannot enter the Magic Kingdom. Nothing what-so-ever. There is no reason for them to do that and it would be monumentally stupid, but they could do it.
Disney won’t allow you in if they don’t like the t-shirt you are wearing.

FantasiaMickey2000

That's very true. It should've been 2k (monthly), but the voters, not the congressmen and senators supported the bill far and wide
Right, I see what you mean now. All I’d say is that Trump had the same broad support for his bill and it didn’t save him. Besides, being honest in 3 and a half years from now no one is going to be voting based on a stimulus bill from March 2021. They may vote heavily in 2022 midterms or 2024 presidential if vaccines become required to travel or we are still wearing masks until all minors can get vaccinated in 2022. Not arguing for or against a course of action one way or another, but when Biden has less than 1% margin in several states or he loses re-election than you can bet all moves will be made with re-election in mind.

sullyinMT

He is also fighting this. I wonder where Disney stands on this.. they have already delayed sailings and seem to be doing things their way but they were also at this event where DeSantis went on his rant. Disney maybe changing their minds ?

Mazloum wasn’t exactly silent during that meeting, either (though he didn’t go as far as Ron and call the CDC anti-vaxxers). DCL via CLIA has been pushing for new guidance and updated CSO conditions, but I wonder is DeSantis took them by surprise.

iowamomof4

I'm now 24 hours past my second dose of Pfizer. Slightly achy shoulder, but no other side effects at this point. I'm in my early 40's, so I fully expected to have the headache, chills, fever, etc... that so many have reported. I'm pleasantly surprised I seem to have avoided all that!

JAKECOTCenter

Right, I see what you mean now. All I’d say is that Trump had the same broad support for his bill and it didn’t save him. Besides, being honest in 3 and a half years from now no one is going to be voting based on a stimulus bill from March 2021. They may vote heavily in 2022 midterms or 2024 presidential if vaccines become required to travel or we are still wearing masks until all minors can get vaccinated in 2022. Not arguing for or against a course of action one way or another, but when Biden has less than 1% margin in several states or he loses re-election than you can bet all moves will be made with re-election in mind.
But if Biden keeps putting out bills like the ARP that have wide VOTER support, hypothetically the dems might not be all wiped out in 2022

Chip Chipperson

Apples and oranges.

Right, nobody ever died because they had to bake a cake for a gay wedding but 540,000+ people in the US alone have died from COVID-19 - and many of those could have been prevented had people not put others at risk with selfish behavior. DeSantis doesn't care about rights - he cares about optics and appealing to his base. On one hand, he's threatening to sue the federal government over restrictions on the cruise industry, and on the other he's promising to ban the cruise industry from taking a step that will make people feel safer getting on a cruise ship. I have a feeling that he hasn't actually considered the impact of those stances (particularly how the ban on vaccine passports could harm the cruise industry). All during the pandemic, there have been people arguing against any restrictions and saying that we should just leave it up to the individual businesses to decide how they want to operate and let people decide whether or not they want to go to those businesses based on that, but now it's somehow "totalitarian" for those same businesses to decide for themselves whether or not they want a self-imposed restriction? There seems to be a disconnect there.

FantasiaMickey2000

But if Biden keeps putting out bills like the ARP that have wide VOTER support, hypothetically the dems might not be all wiped out in 2022
Oh for sure, I agree with you. I’m just saying that when it comes to the federal government no longer suggesting masks and social distancing are required and requiring vaccines or creating vaccine passports that those decisions will 100% be political in nature.

Roy G. Dis

Hang on. Just to make sure I understand... the people who refuse to get a vaccine due to it lacking FDA approval (or some other reason) ... they only pose a threat to other non-vaccinated people, correct? What would vaccinated people have to fear?

Vaccinated people don't have anything to fear, generally.

That leaves two other groups:
1. People who legitimately cannot take the vaccine who will forever be at-risk of contracting Covid from others.
2. People who are otherwise able but refuse to be vaccinated.

Group #1 is forever going to be screwed by group #2 who will of course continue to kill off their vulnerable friends and family to prove a point about not becoming Cuba.

DisneyDebRob

Mazloum wasn’t exactly silent during that meeting, either (though he didn’t go as far as Ron and call the CDC anti-vaxxers). DCL via CLIA has been pushing for new guidance and updated CSO conditions, but I wonder is DeSantis took them by surprise.
Exactly my thoughts. I think the meeting before hand was .. look, I’m with you guys and we will try what we can.. then the cameras and the microphone were right in front of him and it feels like he needed to put out strong language letting his base know he’s right there with them.
Or maybe I’m giving him way to much credit and he’s a bigger narcissist then I even thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom