Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G. Dis

I like that thinking. Well if they cannot require a vaccine passport they could require a negative Covid test for anyone entering and then say if you show proof of vaccination you are exempt from the test requirement. Problem solved. Then the company is not requiring anyone to get the vaccine to get in. Executive order defeated. Mickey Mouse one, Governor Ron zero ;););)

Love it.

Tom P.

I am one who tends to agree with much of what DeSantis has done, even though that puts my solidly in the minority around here. However, if you're gonna claim to be a conservative, constitutional, rights-oriented person, then you've gotta be consistent. Telling a private company that they can't require a vaccine passport to enter their private property is the exact opposite of that.

I, personally, don't like the idea of vaccine passports. I think there are all sorts of ethical, legal, and logistical problems with it. But if Disney wants to require one to enter Walt Disney World, that's their business. The government has no place stepping into that decision.

EricsBiscuit

I am one who tends to agree with much of what DeSantis has done, even though that puts my solidly in the minority around here. However, if you're gonna claim to be a conservative, constitutional, rights-oriented person, then you've gotta be consistent. Telling a private company that they can't require a vaccine passport to enter their private property is the exact opposite of that.

I, personally, don't like the idea of vaccine passports. I think there are all sorts of ethical, legal, and logistical problems with it. But if Disney wants to require one to enter Walt Disney World, that's their business. The government has no place stepping into that decision.
It starts with requiring a vaccine. It ends with a totalitarian dictatorship. Ask anyone who’s lived in Cuba or Russia for more than 50 years. You give them an inch they take a mile. Papers, please.

CJR

I like that thinking. Well if they cannot require a vaccine passport they could require a negative Covid test for anyone entering and then say if you show proof of vaccination you are exempt from the test requirement. Problem solved. Then the company is not requiring anyone to get the vaccine to get in. Executive order defeated. Mickey Mouse one, Governor Ron zero ;););)

Exactly, I would be happy to voluntarily show my documentation. Heck, I'll probably be showing it off as I do my happy dance. lol I get my second dose next week.

Tom P.

It starts with requiring a vaccine. It ends with a totalitarian dictatorship. Ask anyone who’s lived in Cuba or Russia for more than 50 years. You give them an inch they take a mile. Papers, please.
I'm pretty sure that totalitarian states in Cuba and Russia didn't start out with private businesses mandating things from their customers. If we were talking about the Florida government *requiring* vaccine passports, you might have an argument. But here we're talking about the Florida government interfering in the right of a business to make their own decisions. The anti-big government stance is for the government to stay out of it and let the businesses do what they want.

Bill in Atlanta

You guys are living inside an alternate reality if you think WDW is going to go to no-masks, no-social distancing without any way to verify that people aren't going around spreading Covid. In this very thread on this very page there is a dude saying he'll never get vaccinated. And he's supposed to go butt-to-butt with everyone else with no mask in a huge crowd? You call that freedom? I call that cruel and unusual punishment.
Hang on. Just to make sure I understand... the people who refuse to get a vaccine due to it lacking FDA approval (or some other reason) ... they only pose a threat to other non-vaccinated people, correct? What would vaccinated people have to fear?

Chi84

Premium Member
That will get ugly. Remember that DeSantis is running for President in 2022 and he’s putting all his eggs in the anti-Covid restrictions basket. If Biden attempted to stop him that would be playing right into his hands politically. I’m hoping the vaccines get less political not more.
I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, but under our constitution, the legislative branch makes the laws and the executive branch enforces them. Chief executives like the president and governors can issue executive orders, but those orders need to derive from specific authority and are limited in scope. Should be interesting to see how this develops.

FantasiaMickey2000

It would be wise for Biden to just continue on what's he's doing. Because apart from the hardcore trump base, he's decently popular. He wants to keep this streak going at least until we're in the post-pandemic timeline. Having him in these cultural war battles is something he can't afford
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Biden lost traditional swing states Florida and Ohio by 3.36% and 8.03% respectively. He flipped Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin by only 0.30%, 0.23%, 1.17%, and 0.63% respectively. So he has no margin for error if he wants to win re-election. Considering the virus probably won him the election, I’d expect the handling of easing restrictions to be very political.

Tom P.

You guys are living inside an alternate reality if you think WDW is going to go to no-masks, no-social distancing without any way to verify that people aren't going around spreading Covid. In this very thread on this very page there is a dude saying he'll never get vaccinated. And he's supposed to go butt-to-butt with everyone else with no mask in a huge crowd? You call that freedom? I call that cruel and unusual punishment.
As I said in another thread, I'm still the optimist on this. I think that by summer, we are going to see enough people vaccinated that case numbers plummet and society can go back to normal without the risks that you are concerned about. So, yes, I think that we could see a Walt Disney World free of masks, social distancing, and other restrictions by Fall. But that's because I think the situation will be good enough to warrant that.

JAKECOTCenter

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Biden lost traditional swing states Florida and Ohio by 3.36% and 8.03% respectively. He flipped Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin by only 0.30%, 0.23%, 1.17%, and 0.63% respectively. So he has no margin for error if he wants to win re-election. Considering the virus probably won him the election, I’d expect the handling of easing restrictions to be very political.
I mean the American Rescue Plan has broad bipartisan support and the upcoming infrastructure bill is a hit in swing states

Tom P.

I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, but under our constitution, the legislative branch makes the laws and the executive branch enforces them. Chief executives like the president and governors can issue executive orders, but those orders need to derive from specific authority and are limited in scope. Should be interesting to see how this develops.
Well, that's the theory. I'm not sure it's actually played out that way over the past year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that totalitarian states in Cuba and Russia didn't start out with private businesses mandating things from their customers. If we were talking about the Florida government *requiring* vaccine passports, you might have an argument. But here we're talking about the Florida government interfering in the right of a business to make their own decisions. The anti-big government stance is for the government to stay out of it and let the businesses do what they want.
Yep, nailed it. This is about as bizarre a stance as one could take...but the train has left the station and its all filled up with crazy. Funny how his stance on capacity limits for restaurants or mask mandates is that the government should not be involved in telling a business how they should operate....unless the thing the business wants to do is opposed by a large number of my supporters than I’m fine with using an executive order to tell businesses how to operate. Classic politician

celluloid

As I said in another thread, I'm still the optimist on this. I think that by summer, we are going to see enough people vaccinated that case numbers plummet and society can go back to normal without the risks that you are concerned about. So, yes, I think that we could see a Walt Disney World free of masks, social distancing, and other restrictions by Fall. But that's because I think the situation will be good enough to warrant that.

I believe so also. It will always be there but potentially be so flat that the vaccinations will always be an option just as many people get the other major vaccinations. Many pediatricians are expecting to be able to give it to public school children by the start of the next school year.

Masks will eventually be optional with plenty of people still opting to keep them as well as being vaccinated. Maybe even next year. The employees will likely be the last area you see it as optional in terms of the major theme parks, because from the business standpoint, they don't want to have large groups of missing workforce and quarantine periods hurting their business either.

EricsBiscuit

You’re only looking at half of it. The potential law would prevent local governments from enacting vaccine passport mandates. Requiring vaccine passports to enter a private business creates a class division. Just like how a business cannot discriminate based off race and gender, they shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate based off vaccination. Everyone should be allowed to play a part in society.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
You’re only looking at half of it. The potential law would prevent local governments from enacting vaccine passport mandates. Requiring vaccine passports to enter a private business creates a class division. Just like how a business cannot discriminate based off race and gender, they shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate based off vaccination. Everyone should be allowed to play a part in society.
Vaccine passports are worthless when it comes to variants. They aren't happening. End of story. So you can stop screaming in the streets that the boogeyman is out to get us all (COVID already did).

HarperRose

Don't feed the trolls.

FantasiaMickey2000

I mean the American Rescue Plan has broad bipartisan support and the upcoming infrastructure bill is a hit in swing states
The bill had 0 Republican votes in the house or senate and even had a Democrat vote no in the houses. Technically speaking that’s bipartisan opposition, not support. In substance it’s a vote down party lines. And the first stimulus bill didn’t save Trump. This bill won’t help Biden either. If anything, it will hurt him because some people thought he promised an additional $2k and only sent $1.4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom