Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

esskay

Random thought, the UK's "Ant and Decs Saturday Night Takeway" show are due to take a 747 full of competition winners in April, along with having the huge stage set up in Magic Kingdom again. Wonder what shows of that scale do if the flight has to be cancelled or the park closes down.

Gringrinngghost

Random thought, the UK's "Ant and Decs Saturday Night Takeway" show are due to take a 747 full of competition winners in April, along with having the huge stage set up in Magic Kingdom again. Wonder what shows of that scale do if the flight has to be cancelled or the park closes down.
Halt Production

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can an educated voice weigh in on what the likelihood of the parks being closed down due to the coronavirus is? My holiday is at end of May. Whether they close from fear induced overreaction or genuine need I don't care, I just want to know whether my worries about the parks closing have any basis? I have rented DVC points and have just been told by my insurer that they wont cover in the case of a shut down and so I'm screwed if it happens. @marni1971 @lentesta @wdwmagic or anyone with insight, please tell me how much I should be drinking tonight to make myself feel better 😂 😂
Unlikely but not an impossibility. For want of a better word they’re being prudent.

Lilofan

Unlikely but not an impossibility. For want of a better word they’re being prudent.
I'm thinking if immigration officials at Orlando airport sees any incoming guests arriving on holiday visibly sick, one 's magical vacation will be put on hold and one can expect a more intense inspection.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm thinking if immigration officials at Orlando airport sees any incoming guests arriving on holiday visibly sick, one 's magical vacation will be put on hold and one can expect a more intense inspection.
To be honest one would hope they would have been held at their originating port and not allowed into a hollow tube with recycled air along with a few hundred other people.

Lilofan

To be honest one would hope they would have been held at their originating port and not allowed into a hollow tube with recycled air along with a few hundred other people.
I would hope so but if they are coming from a country with suspect screening...

Touchdown

interesting article...

What a fantastic article that was able to articulate my view, it’s nice to see that coming from an expert. It would be really nice if we as a society would actually trust and listen to experts for once, and not trust a celebrity or politician more then the scientists/doctors who have devoted their life to studying and treating these things.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Oh honey, bless your heart.

Thanks for the unnecessary insult.

Lol right?! There are very few jobs where I live that offer paid sick leave. I work at a hospital office and all of the PTO we earn is used for vacation (duh), sick days, and holidays our office is closed. We don't even get paid for days they close the office! We get an email every November showing the holidays for the upcoming year with a note telling us how many hours we need to "save" for those holidays the office is closed. And our PTO is earned every two weeks. You don't earn a full day off in two weeks until you've been there for 10 years....and this is sort of the norm here.

You choose where you work and where you live.

Gringrinngghost

Just to throw out, the CDC is under fire for now not disclosing how many people have been tested (they pulled the numbers off their site) and there are reports of a doctor in NYC “pleading” to get people tested as they don’t have the testing equipment. Furthermore there are also reports of people being hospitalized and the CDC won’t be testing them because they don’t have the most serious conditions.

Furthermore:

Lilofan

What a fantastic article that was able to articulate my view, it’s nice to see that coming from an expert. It would be really nice if we as a society would actually trust and listen to experts for once, and not trust a celebrity or politician more then the scientists/doctors who have devoted their life to studying and treating these things.
Some publicly traded companies would love for people to stay at home, -- Amazon, Netflix, Dominos Pizza, to name a few.

seascape

Just to throw out, the CDC is under fire for now not disclosing how many people have been tested (they pulled the numbers off their site) and there are reports of a doctor in NYC “pleading” to get people tested as they don’t have the testing equipment. Furthermore there are also reports of people being hospitalized and the CDC won’t be testing them because they don’t have the most serious conditions.

Furthermore:

That question never should have been asked. It was designed to create fear. The correct answer was to state how stupid the question was and answer as he did, take proper and intelligent precautions for all your actions and that there are no travel restrictions in the US. Can you imagine if he said NO! Orlando would be decimate. It would not only hurt Disney, but Universal too. And probably force SeaWorld into bankruptcy. Then there are all the hotels and restaurants, plus rental car companies, the airport and their huge expansion. etc, etc. The long term consequences would be no Epic Universe, No SeaWorld, No International Drive attractions, no jobs, the highest unemployment rate in the country, massive drop in housing values in all of Florida.

Timmay

I work in the emergency management field, and it was obvious to our team a couple weeks ago the CDC threw in the towel in hoping for containment. They didn’t exactly make it a secret.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
That question never should have been asked. It was designed to create fear. The correct answer was to state how stupid the question was and answer as he did, take proper and intelligent precautions for all your actions and that there are no travel restrictions in the US. Can you imagine if he said NO! Orlando would be decimate. It would not only hurt Disney, but Universal too. And probably force SeaWorld into bankruptcy. Then there are all the hotels and restaurants, plus rental car companies, the airport and their huge expansion. etc, etc. The long term consequences would be no Epic Universe, No SeaWorld, No International Drive attractions, no jobs, the highest unemployment rate in the country, massive drop in housing values in all of Florida.

Drama much? None of these things would have happened.

Timmay

Testing almost completely stopped during H1N1, only those being in very critical condition or those with underlying health problems were still tested..and even this stopped eventually. If you had the symptoms, it was just assumed you had it. That was the more level-headed approach.

John park hopper

Watching the news this morning 2 cases in Georgia identified they had just returned from Italy. With todays international air travel containment is next to impossible and the test is not 100% accurate

Touchdown

I work in the emergency management field, and it was obvious to our team a couple weeks ago the CDC threw in the towel in hoping for containment. They didn’t exactly make it a secret.

I work at a hospital as well, it was the right choice, if the draconian Chinese efforts couldn’t contain this virus nothing would. I fear the panic more then the disease itself. I also expect an extremely busy March and April, but my hospital has already had a rough winter and our census has been near capacity most days, as has most other hospitals in the area. I don’t know where we are going to put these extra people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom