Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

Drama much? None of these things would have happened.
I think you should look at northern Italy and the empty streets. The Italian tourist industry is experiencing 40% cancellations and rising. None of those cities are 80% dependent on tourism, Orlando is. Again, the correct answer to that question should have included the fact it was dumb snd designed to create fear! Every place is safe if you follow sensible precautions. Wash your hands, keep your hands away from your face. If you have a cough or sneeze. do it into your arm. Don't shake hands, bump elbows not fists. It's not hard and we should always follow these rules.

As for long term consequences for Italy, the cruise industry and others that are getting destroyed, it will take years before they fully recover. People find other places to go and many will never return. On Cruises, I would never take one because of all the illnesses that spread on ships. look at the health scores all the cruise lines get. Other than Disney they are horrible. I love Disney as do most people here but for the majority of people if they are told it's unsafe, they will skip it now and well into the future.

Timmay

I work at a hospital as well, it was the right choice, if the draconian Chinese efforts couldn’t contain this virus nothing would. I fear the panic more then the disease itself. I also expect an extremely busy March and April, but my hospital has already had a rough winter and our census has been near capacity most days, as has most other hospitals in the area. I don’t know where we are going to put these extra people.
I suspect we will see some surge plans activated.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I think you should look at northern Italy and the emoty streets. The Italian tourist industry is experiencing 40% cancellations and rising. None of those cities are 80% dependent on tourism, Orlando is. Again, the correct answer to that question should have included the fact it was dumb snd designed to create fear! Every place is safe if you follow sensible precautions. Wash your hands, keep your hands away from your face. If you have a cough or sneeze. do it into your arm. Don't shake hands, bump elbows not fists. It's not hard and we should always follow these rules.

As for long term consequences for Italy, the cruise industry and others that are getting destroyed, it will take years before they fully recover. People find other places to go and many will never return. On Cruises, I would never take one because of all the illnesses that spread on ships. look at the health scores all the cruise lines get. Other than Disney they are horrible. I love Disney as fo most people here but for the majority of people if they are told it's unsafe, they will skip it now and well into the future.

You're painting a picture based on speculation and feelings rather than facts.

celluloid

For what it is worth, because things change, but my Asian students who are currently living in China said they are hopeful to return to school on March 15th. A decision will be updated soon. We will see how things do after the majority of students in the country return to schools.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I work at a hospital as well, it was the right choice, if the draconian Chinese efforts couldn’t contain this virus nothing would. I fear the panic more then the disease itself. I also expect an extremely busy March and April, but my hospital has already had a rough winter and our census has been near capacity most days, as has most other hospitals in the area. I don’t know where we are going to put these extra people.
Its interesting but it seems the last few folks from Georgia that contracted the virus are quarantined and being treated in their own home rather than a hospital.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A virus that has a high death rate of older people (80+ 25%, 70-80 15%). a long contiguous period. A state that has a lot of older people. 2 cases a hour drive from WDW. I think it's reasonable to talk about they might close the park or airports in Florida if you look at what has happened overseas
Watch for thermometers at MCO. When that happens, I think you'll be a lot closer to a WDW disruption... not saying closed, but some drastic change in the way they do business.

JoeCamel

Watch for thermometers at MCO. When that happens, I think you'll be a lot closer to a WDW disruption... not saying closed, but some drastic change in the way they do business.
My central florida power co-op has closed the office lobbies due to the threat of spread. Drive up is still open.

lentesta

Premium Member
Can an educated voice weigh in on what the likelihood of the parks being closed down due to the coronavirus is? My holiday is at end of May. Whether they close from fear induced overreaction or genuine need I don't care, I just want to know whether my worries about the parks closing have any basis? I have rented DVC points and have just been told by my insurer that they wont cover in the case of a shut down and so I'm screwed if it happens. @marni1971 @lentesta @wdwmagic or anyone with insight, please tell me how much I should be drinking tonight to make myself feel better 😂 😂

Disclaimer: I probably don't know anything about this.

Here's what I'm telling our staff: The only scenario I can think of where the domestic parks close for an extended period of time is: (1) If the virus spreads significantly faster and with more lethal results, than seasonal flu has with a non-vulnerable population; (2) the federal and state response appears insufficient; (3) no promising vaccine is close to deployment.

I think that Tokyo's closure was influenced somewhat by Olympics prep in addition to immediate safety concerns. From a labor perspective, they wouldn't be able to finish work for the summer games now, if a chunk of their construction workers get sick. Don't get me wrong - there's obviously an immediate public safety concern. But Tokyo's government has additional things to consider that, say, Paris doesn't.

The reasons I think any domestic closure would be short are (1) the virus seems most lethal in vulnerable populations, and those folks can self-select out of voluntary travel; (2) the parks would be under enormous federal and state pressure to be open. For one thing, they're large regional employers with massive supply chains. The economic impact of a long-term closure would be substantial. I think the feds and the state would weigh that against the virus' impact to well-informed, presumably healthier, voluntary visitors.

Not for nothing, but if the feds have to choose between temporarily nationalizing the supply and manufacture of antiretroviral medicines (which seem to help treat this virus), and huge economic disruptions to daily lives, they're going to distribute the medicines without a second thought. Again, probably to vulnerable populations first, but that will still have a significant positive impact.

If I recall correctly, domestic parks re-opened two days after 9/11. And I think President Bush personally asked Eisner to do that, to begin restoring a sense of day-to-day normalcy to Americans' lives. The same thing would be considered here.

For your trip, Disney would almost certainly allow you to move your trip in the event of a shutdown. I wouldn't worry at all about that. And you've got plenty of time between now and then.

In the next few days we should hear about a large number of cases detected in the U.S. That should be expected based on the expanded testing we're doing, and what we know about how the virus spreads. Don't be especially alarmed by that.

The things I'm keeping an eye on are the contagion rate and the lethality in otherwise healthy populations, in the U.K., France, Canada, and U.S. I think the lethality rate for seasonal flu is something like 0.1%, with a contagion rate of a little over 1 (which means that 1 person with the flu will give it to slightly more than 1 person on average). If the COVID numbers in the U.S. are closer to the seasonal flu than current estimates out of China, then the impact should be less here.

Again, I probably don't know anything about this.

ELG13

Thanks for the unnecessary insult.

You choose where you work and where you live.
Yes ...so let us just hop around town to town, state to state, job to job, to find one that provides me with paid sick and holidays, at a pay rate that I seem fit for our lifestyle, with an A rating school district including a special needs school that fills the requirements my son needs (just to name a few requirements)...sometimes there are compromises that need to be made in life. Mine was I do not get paid sick leave, but my children, especially our special needs son, have fantastic schools, we have family near by for assistance when necessary, and i make enough to provide for my family. Again this is a very narrow view of all the considerations taken into account when getting a job. It must be nice to have the luxury to shop around jobs until every box is checked on your requirements list.

ELG13

Watching the news this morning 2 cases in Georgia identified they had just returned from Italy. With todays international air travel containment is next to impossible and the test is not 100% accurate
I know it's crazy but I wish they would just shut down international travel. Figure it out. Because like you said, containment will be impossible with people coming and going.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yes ...so let us just hop around town to town, state to state, job to job, to find one that provides me with paid sick and holidays, at a pay rate that I seem fit for our lifestyle, with an A rating school district including a special needs school that fills the requirements my son needs (just to name a few requirements)...sometimes there are compromises that need to be made in life. Mine was I do not get paid sick leave, but my children, especially our special needs son, have fantastic schools, we have family near by for assistance when necessary, and i make enough to provide for my family. Again this is a very narrow view of all the considerations taken into account when getting a job. It must be nice to have the luxury to shop around jobs until every box is checked on your requirements list.

Welcome to adulting. If you're making compromises, you have no room to complain if something doesn't go the way that you'd like. It's not a luxury to work for the things that you want out of life.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I know it's crazy but I wish they would just shut down international travel. Figure it out. Because like you said, containment will be impossible with people coming and going.

Stopping international travel isn't going to do anything but make life unnecessarily difficult for people.

ELG13

Welcome to adulting. If you're making compromises, you have no room to complain if something doesn't go the way that you'd like. It's not a luxury to work for the things that you want out of life.
Wasn't complaining as much as saying that everyone doesn't have the ability to just "get out of that situation" if their work doesn't offer paid sick leave. There are other factors to take into account 🙂

BromBones

It went up Friday 2/28??

View attachment 452860

Like I said...the stock market self corrects itself once they realized that the media were just trying to scare people irresponsibly about Coronavirus.

Stock market live updates: Dow jumps 1,290 points in biggest-ever point gain

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Wasn't complaining as much as saying that everyone doesn't have the ability to just "get out of that situation" if their work doesn't offer paid sick leave. There are other factors to take into account 🙂

Everyone absolutely has the ability to get out of any situation. "Other factors" are irrelevant to one's ability.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

You run into exactly the same mentality as you do with domestic guests that refuse to interrupt their Disney plans when they or one of their party become ill. They do it anyway because their desires outweigh any potential impact on others.

esskay

Like I said...the stock market self corrects itself once they realized that the media were just trying to scare people irresponsibly about Coronavirus.

Stock market live updates: Dow jumps 1,290 points in biggest-ever point gain
Look up how the fed can (and do) buy/sell debt to manipulate the market. They don't announce it immediatly as it makes it obvious that nothing has actually recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom