Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m not saying you should travel with Covid, just that I don’t want to fly somewhere, get Covid or have one of my kids get covid and then be trapped there.
So what’s the alternative that you are suggesting?

It sounds like you are more concerned with being “trapped” somewhere than infecting others with covid. Or am I reading that wrong?

Roy G. Dis

So anyone want to speculate on what'll happen when huge swaths of America only reach local vaccination rates that top out at 25-40%? Seems like these areas will just continue to have cases and outbreaks until herd immunity is reached the very hard way or people actually push the overall vaccination rate to something like 60%+. Couldn't that just go on forever?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So anyone want to speculate on what'll happen when huge swaths of America only reach local vaccination rates that top out at 25-40%? Seems like these areas will just continue to have cases and outbreaks until herd immunity is reached the very hard way or people actually push the overall vaccination rate to something like 60%+. Couldn't that just go on forever?

Yes it could, especially if natural immunity wears off to quickly.

mmascari

They think vaccination passports for domestic flights would ruin their business? They’ve seen the alternative, haven’t they? There’s nothing magical about international boarders that lowers the risk of spread.

(Not disagreeing with you, @GoofGoof, just pushing back on what the airlines have said about the impact of requiring vaccine passports to their business.)

I personally think it's going to happen regardless of community spread. Many other countries are behind in vaccinations and when you add in variants, I think they will implement it for safety reasons.
There is something magical about international boarders and about community spread. Or, rather on how those are defined.

Areas with a single coordinated COVID response. Where they are part of the same vaccine response, freely mingle between people who may spread the virus, and have a single measurement for community spread. These tend to be countries. (Give or take some US State differences, we're more one community than many in the end.)

Crossing between them is also when you're already required to have a real passport.

Nobody worries about being fair between them either.

Traveling between Kansas City, nobody is stopping to show a passport of any type. No matter that the COVID response is managed by two different states. At the end of the day, it's just one area of community spread and just one community.

Traveling between different countries has significantly more controls. Imagining that vaccination, or testing and mandatory quarantine, or anything else might be added isn't a huge leap. As others have pointed out multiple times, Australia ALREADY has additional requirements, even without a vaccine. I don't see news stories saying it's not fair that someone cannot just hop a flight to Sydney to catch the Opera. Traveling between areas with different responses and different levels of community spread is likely to require something that allows the area with less spread to know letting someone in isn't going to increase spread in the area.

This is all entirely different from vaccine passports within a single community designed to create one off events where mitigation measures can be dropped even though they're part of a community spread that would require them. Completely different problem, even if they both sound like "passport".

DisneyCane

I won't speculate about what will happen but, based on looking at the Publix booking system for FL today, it's not unlikely to see areas top out at that percentage. With 40+ eligible starting today, there are still appointments available in Bay, Escambia, Leon, Nassau, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton Counties six hours after the booking window opened this morning.

These appointments are just for Moderna and FL seems to still be getting the same amount of that vaccine per week (208k first doses) as have been delivered for a couple of months now. Other than some system issues, I didn't have that much trouble booking an appointment in Broward for my brother this morning even though Broward and a lot of the larger counties filled up within two hours.

It does seem to be an indication of softening demand which is why I believe that it is imperative to give incentives to people who get vaccinated and allow them a "back to normal pass" after they have reached maximum protection. Regardless of certain political beliefs that may lower the acceptance rate, it is going to be very difficult to convince over 60% of healthy people in their 20s and 30s to go through the hassle of getting vaccinated without a reward for doing so.

mmascari

Disaster.

Hundreds of thousands dead again in 2021.

Mutation.

Starting the entire vaccination process over when the existing ones become no longer effective.

Economic catastrophe.

Community problem. If we top out at 25-40%, we're really doing something wrong. We need the number much higher. If that means paying people or whatever to take it, so be it. It's imperative that we get the number high enough for it to have an impact and work correctly.

I still have faith we'll get there. And that we'll get their fast enough. But, I also think we're going to drag it out first and make it take longer than it should, probably create some mutations along the way that give us pause but aren't doomsday.

Heppenheimer

I won't speculate about what will happen but, based on looking at the Publix booking system for FL today, it's not unlikely to see areas top out at that percentage. With 40+ eligible starting today, there are still appointments available in Bay, Escambia, Leon, Nassau, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton Counties six hours after the booking window opened this morning.

These appointments are just for Moderna and FL seems to still be getting the same amount of that vaccine per week (208k first doses) as have been delivered for a couple of months now. Other than some system issues, I didn't have that much trouble booking an appointment in Broward for my brother this morning even though Broward and a lot of the larger counties filled up within two hours.

It does seem to be an indication of softening demand which is why I believe that it is imperative to give incentives to people who get vaccinated and allow them a "back to normal pass" after they have reached maximum protection. Regardless of certain political beliefs that may lower the acceptance rate, it is going to be very difficult to convince over 60% of healthy people in their 20s and 30s to go through the hassle of getting vaccinated without a reward for doing so.
Link getting fully vaccinated to the chance to acquire some rare virtual item that no other age bracket cares about, and the 20-30s will be stampeding. Remember the mobs of people chasing down rare Pokemon characters a few years ago?

If we get to the point where we haven't reached herd immunity despite vaccines being easily available but large groups of people remain uninterested, then it's time to start applying carrots and sticks, with the sticks being vaccine passports.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

How big must that incentive to be, is a free donut not enough? How about not getting severely ill and not dying? Aren't they big enough incentives?
The closest Krispy Kreme to me is a 20 minute drive so the free donut is going to cost quite a bit in gas (especially with the current prices). A healthy 30 year old is at an infinitesimal risk of dying from COVID and a very low risk of severe illness. So, for them, the incentive of not getting severely ill or dying from COVID is not enough motivation.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

With Georgia offering it to everyone over 16 there aren't any openings in Georgia vis Publix. There are very few in rural areas for CVS and none for Walgreens. I think the drop to 40 isn't really indicative of the overall picture, as I see more and more younger people wanting the vaccine, and to be frank, the younger population are typically the ones spreading this thing (bars/clubs/college campuses, etc). Just my humble 2 cents.

DisneyCane

With Georgia offering it to everyone over 16 there aren't any openings in Georgia vis Publix. There are very few in rural areas for CVS and none for Walgreens. I think the drop to 40 isn't really indicative of the overall picture, as I see more and more younger people wanting the vaccine, and to be frank, the younger population are typically the ones spreading this thing (bars/clubs/college campuses, etc). Just my humble 2 cents.
I hope you are right and the younger population gets vaccinated. I'm just as pro-vaccine as I am anti-restrictions so I want everybody to get vaccinated. Any acquaintance of mine who is reluctant I try to convince to get vaccinated and I've been successful with a few so far.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I hope you are right and the younger population gets vaccinated. I'm just as pro-vaccine as I am anti-restrictions so I want everybody to get vaccinated. Any acquaintance of mine who is reluctant I try to convince to get vaccinated and I've been successful with a few so far.
Its a tough conversation for sure, my lovely wife is abstaining until she feels more comfortable with the long term safety aspect since these vaccines are technically still in trails until 2023 but I on the other hand have had my first poke already and can't wait to get the second. My father (a retired doctor) has even had in depth conversations with her to try to convince her. Sometimes its just not possible to flip someone's mind that quickly.

trainplane3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom