Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
30+ people with him? Did he think the more he brings the less rules would apply or they would feel pressured to let them in? Sure they could have let them in, and any CM inside would be trying to do their job and run into this attitude. Then he would have been posting about "they let us in and now..." Just seems arrogant IMO

Nothing shocking about the behavior. The entitled don’t have an “off” setting

havoc315

I’m not sure what I’m missing. A drop in efficacy doesn’t mean the vaccines don’t work. JnJ had lower efficacy in South Africa than it did in the US but the efficacy was still high enough to gain approval. It was also still 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death. There is no study anywhere that shows Pfizer or Moderna is not effective vs the S African variant. It’s not my spin, the studies don’t exist.

Stop looking at this like a black and white “they work or don’t work.”

Efficacy is a spectrum. Flu vaccines, for example, “work.” But many many vaccinated individuals can still get the flu.

And be very careful about the “100% against death” statistics, the sample sizes were really too small to draw such conclusions. In some of the studies, the placebos also had 0-2 deaths. You wouldn’t say the placebos were 100% effective against death.

Honesty and transparency are important. The vaccines are effective, especially against serious illness. Everyone should get vaccinated. But we also shouldn’t give people a false sense of security that every vaccine will give them 100% protection against every variant. That false sense of security can be dangerous as well.

havoc315

Large droplets yes, but those are expelled through coughs and sneezes.
We're being / have been lead to believe that the wearing of non n95 surgical masks presents an effective barrier when groups of people are among each other simply breathing, and talking.
We have little idea how effective this practice actually is.
Actually, we have lots of evidence that the wearing of masks is very effective. While N95 masks are more effective, there is a growing and already massive amount of evidence that all masks are at least somewhat effective.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, we have lots of evidence that the wearing of masks is very effective. While N95 masks are more effective, there is a growing and already massive amount of evidence that all masks are at least somewhat effective.

Don’t bother...opinion is fixed and is based on nonsense. It won’t change.

Miami.

Good grief.

The BBC news item just ended with “last week Florida recorded more than 4000 new Covid cases a day. This is far from over”

I know...a real $h!tshow isn’t it?

No Country in human history has reveled in its ability to make it known that they relish bad decision making than the US over the last 40 years. Always “too much”...with greed, hatred and anger tinging it.

(Don’t bother waving a flag or lecturing me...there’s no argument on this. Know your flaws and maybe we can fix them?)

Heppenheimer

Miami.

Good grief.

The BBC news item just ended with “last week Florida recorded more than 4000 new Covid cases a day. This is far from over”
Just wondering, since all the media attention seems directed to Miami Beach. Are the other traditional spring break towns (Panama City, Daytona, South Padre) seeing similar crowds this year?

Heck, I didn't even realize Miami Beach was a spring break destination. Back in the Stone Age when I went to university, it was too expensive for a college budget.

ABQ

Just wondering, since all the media attention seems directed to Miami Beach. Are the other traditional spring break towns (Panama City, Daytona, South Padre) seeing similar crowds this year?

Heck, I didn't even realize Miami Beach was a spring break destination. Back in the Stone Age when I went to university, it was too expensive for a college budget.
The knuckleheads are in full force at South Padre.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There’s little doubt the other areas are just as bad if not worse. Can’t imagine how trashy/swamped Panama City is looking these days?

The reason Miami is getting the press is political. The mayors of Miami/Miami beach have been real vocal about struggles and wanting the controls in place this whole time...and they have fought desantis.

That makes a lot of friends and enemies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Stop looking at this like a black and white “they work or don’t work.”

Efficacy is a spectrum. Flu vaccines, for example, “work.” But many many vaccinated individuals can still get the flu.

And be very careful about the “100% against death” statistics, the sample sizes were really too small to draw such conclusions. In some of the studies, the placebos also had 0-2 deaths. You wouldn’t say the placebos were 100% effective against death.

Honesty and transparency are important. The vaccines are effective, especially against serious illness. Everyone should get vaccinated. But we also shouldn’t give people a false sense of security that every vaccine will give them 100% protection against every variant. That false sense of security can be dangerous as well.
That’s exactly what I am doing. JnJ has lower efficacy than Moderna and Pfizer, but would you say that it doesn’t work? The original poster asked if the 3 vaccines we have here still work vs all the variants that are out there and I answered yes, there is no evidence that any of them don’t work. I answered the question he asked. I never said that the vaccines were equally effective vs all variants and I have never ever said these vaccines were 100% protection against anything. It was a very simple statement to answer a very simple question. My answer was 100% accurate. We need to stick to the facts right?

It’s kinda funny that when the news is good like 100% effective to prevent hospitalization and death the study is too small and conclusions are flawed but the in the study posted that showed the Pfizer vaccine was less “effective“ vs the S African variant the author even says that the sample size is small and more research is needed, yet that’s accepted as transparency and truth. Seems like a pretty big double standard there.

I‘m not sure how you jumped to the conclusion that I or anyone else is giving a false sense of security that the vaccines provide 100% protection. I haven’t seen any person here say that. What I know is also dangerous is people continuing to insist the vaccines are not effective or may not be effective. In every poll that I’ve seen one of the top reasons listed for people either not wanting to get vaccinated or wanting to wait is they are concerned the vaccines won’t be effective. Recently one of the top rally cries from the vaccine resistance crowd is that there’s no point in getting a vaccine because they don’t work against variants so why bother. I’ve seen people talk that up and talk about waiting until the ”new vaccines” come out that work vs the variants. It’s critically important that people are educated that the current vaccines work now and we should all get them. The sell is a lot tougher when people continuously hype click bait headlines about why they may not work. We need to focus on the facts and what is known, not conjecture and what if’s.

Heppenheimer

No Country in human history has reveled in its ability to make it known that they relish bad decision making than the US over the last 40 years. Always “too much”...with greed, hatred and anger tinging it.

(Don’t bother waving a flag or lecturing me...there’s no argument on this. Know your flaws and maybe we can fix them?)
Maybe Imperial Germany under Kaiser Wilhelm II? They went from a respected power with a favorable diplomatic alignment to an isolated international pariah within 25 years. All the while aggressively pursuing what we might call a "Germany first" foreign policy. Sound familiar?

GimpYancIent

Maybe Imperial Germany under Kaiser Wilhelm II? They went from a respected power with a favorable diplomatic alignment to an isolated international pariah within 25 years. All the while aggressively pursuing what we might call a "Germany first" foreign policy. Sound familiar?
Sooo much spin! Nice try though.

GimpYancIent

The U.S. has no exclusive on any decision making bad or otherwise. Poor judgement seems to be a global issue.

havoc315

It’s kinda funny that when the news is good like 100% effective to prevent hospitalization and death the study is too small and conclusions are flawed but the in the study posted that showed the Pfizer vaccine was less “effective“ vs the S African variant the author even says that the sample size is small and more research is needed, yet that’s accepted as transparency and truth. Seems like a pretty big double standard there.

Not a double standard, both are evidence based. And separating hype from the facts and the science. If someone were to say, "the Pfizer vaccine is totally ineffective against the SA variant" -- That would be a statement unsupported by the evidence. Saying that the vaccines are 100% effective against death -- that's a statement unsupported by sufficient evidence.

"Most of the time, vaccines are far more likely to offer some help than none. Serious disease, hospitalization, and even death will still occur, as will less well-studied outcomes, such as the long-term symptoms that often arise from less severe disease."

I‘m not sure how you jumped to the conclusion that I or anyone else is giving a false sense of security that the vaccines provide 100% protection. I haven’t seen any person here say that. What I know is also dangerous is people continuing to insist the vaccines are not effective or may not be effective. In every poll that I’ve seen one of the top reasons listed for people either not wanting to get vaccinated or wanting to wait is they are concerned the vaccines won’t be effective. Recently one of the top rally cries from the vaccine resistance crowd is that there’s no point in getting a vaccine because they don’t work against variants so why bother. I’ve seen people talk that up and talk about waiting until the ”new vaccines” come out that work vs the variants. It’s critically important that people are educated that the current vaccines work now and we should all get them. The sell is a lot tougher when people continuously hype click bait headlines about why they may not work. We need to focus on the facts and what is known, not conjecture and what if’s.

On this, I agree with you. Everyone should get whatever vaccine they can get, as soon as they can. Even if a vaccine is only 50% effective (the minimum for approval per the CDC and FDA), that would still dramatically improve outcomes.

GimpYancIent

That's right, I forgot, we're Americans, we're Exceptional!
Too true! Vast numbers of the worlds population wish they were Americans, want to move to and live in America. America does not have an issue with population exodus people want to exit their countries to come to America. Yeah, it is exceptional to be American. If you do not feel good being an American, well, this is America you can change that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The U.S. has no exclusive on any decision making bad or otherwise. Poor judgement seems to be a global issue.

But we go for the gold, baby! 🥇

Look...I’m not claiming perfection anywhere else. Europe is a nightmare due to politics ruining their vaccine decisions...China is authoritarian (nuff said)...Brazil is likely dumping bodies somewhere...

It’s just that we promote how selfish/pig headed we are...

We now have all the vaccine momentum, the weather is turning, we’ve gotten to a point where it can really flatline...

But it’s being screwed up again...cases on the rise due to variants and the discard of precautions. A couple more months, people. It’s nothing...a season for your crappy football team.

Nothing at all.

Kevin_W

The knuckleheads are in full force at South Padre.

Sadly, I'd disagree with the headline that anything about that video is "shocking". We've had 100 videos in the past year of similar behaviour. A large number of people, particularly the young, just don't care about the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom