Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe Imperial Germany under Kaiser Wilhelm II? They went from a respected power with a favorable diplomatic alignment to an isolated international pariah within 25 years. All the while aggressively pursuing what we might call a "Germany first" foreign policy. Sound familiar?

Yes...but I read history...have since long before the smart phone and still to this day.

GimpYancIent

But we go for the gold, baby! 🥇

Look...I’m not claiming perfection anywhere else. Europe is a nightmare due to politics ruining their vaccine decisions...China is authoritarian (nuff said)...Brazil is likely dumping bodies somewhere...

It’s just that we promote how selfish/pig headed we are...

We now have all the vaccine momentum, the weather is turning, we’ve gotten to a point where it can really flatline...

But it’s being screwed up again...cases on the rise due to variants and the discard of precautions. A couple more months, people. It’s nothing...a season for your crappy football team.

Nothing at all.
Hey! Go big or go home!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The AZ vaccine didn’t fail the efficacy test in South Africa it just was lower it still had between 50-60 percent protection from infection and 100 percent against severe illness and death like all the others.

also the us trials for AZ are in and it’s 79 percent against infection and 100 percent against death and that’s using the 4 week dosing schedule which is the less effective schedule then the standard 12 week schedule for it!
AstraZeneca had an efficacy of 10.4% vs the S African variant in their trial there. It was a pretty small study. 19 people in the vaccine group tested positive vs 23 in the placebo group and 93% of the positives were caused by the variant. There were no hospitalizations or deaths in the study. South Africa did sell their remaining doses and switched to Pfizer.

ABQ

SamusAranX

There’s little doubt the other areas are just as bad if not worse. Can’t imagine how trashy/swamped Panama City is looking these days?

The reason Miami is getting the press is political. The mayors of Miami/Miami beach have been real vocal about struggles and wanting the controls in place this whole time...and they have fought desantis.

That makes a lot of friends and enemies.

I would assume Clearwater is packed, which is why I went to a different beach last week (Madeira). And even though it was spring break, it wasn't that busy in most areas, and people respected our space.

Miami is getting press because it's Miami. It's ground zero for east coast Spring Breakers, and it's a metro area of 5 million people. So law of averages states they will have the most cases, and most press. I am glad that the mayor said enough and did a curfew. Even without COVID, spring breakers are always crass locusts who leave nothing but desolation in their wake. Every year I avoid many places because of their ilk.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
By July, is masks and social distancing will gone for good by late spring or early summer, is pandemic will end by late summer or fall? Then there will be enough vaccines to end this once and for all. Even WDW will may go back to normal by late fall or winter. That is expecting my predictions for soon. Even vaccines is still effective to stop variants.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
By July, is masks and social distancing will gone for good by late spring or early summer, is pandemic will end by late summer or fall? Then there will be enough vaccines to end this once and for all. Even WDW will may go back to normal by late fall or winter. That is expecting my predictions for soon.

Nobody knows for sure.

Heppenheimer

Too true! Vast numbers of the worlds population wish they were Americans, want to move to and live in America. America does not have an issue with population exodus people want to exit their countries to come to America. Yeah, it is exceptional to be American. If you do not feel good being an American, well, this is America you can change that.
Canada has now surpassed the US as the most desired emigration location in the western hemisphere, though. And most migrants on the other sides of the world are trying to go to Europe, Australia, and even to the rich Gulf states to a certain degree, but not here. We're the destination of convenience for most western hemisphere migrants, due to geography and relative ease of immigration (emphasis on "relative", since its quite a bit harder to legally move to Canada and most of Europe). But this isn't the 1890s anymore. Other for some very specific jobs, few in the developed world want to move here now.

And having lived for a time in two countries in Europe and Canada (sort-of), I understand why people from those places aren't in a rush to move here.

Last edited:

Yodascousin

Thanks that’s interesting as that hasn’t widely been reported here our ministers and scientists say that AZ works against all known variants...I’m guessing they interpret that as it stops severe illness and death in all variants rather then efficacy
AstraZeneca had an efficacy of 10.4% vs the S African variant in their trial there. It was a pretty small study. 19 people in the vaccine group tested positive vs 23 in the placebo group and 93% of the positives were caused by the variant. There were no hospitalizations or deaths in the study. South Africa did sell their remaining doses and switched to Pfizer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would assume Clearwater is packed, which is why I went to a different beach last week (Madeira). And even though it was spring break, it wasn't that busy in most areas, and people respected our space.

Miami is getting press because it's Miami. It's ground zero for east coast Spring Breakers, and it's a metro area of 5 million people. So law of averages states they will have the most cases, and most press. I am glad that the mayor said enough and did a curfew. Even without COVID, spring breakers are always crass locusts who leave nothing but desolation in their wake. Every year I avoid many places because of their ilk.

Nothing you say is inaccurate...I just think that the leanings of an area like Daytona or the riviera would not be plastered all over the major networks...sneaking suspicion. I’m not commenting on the events...just the context

SamusAranX

Nothing you say is inaccurate...I just think that the leanings of an area like Daytona or the riviera would not be plastered all over the major networks...sneaking suspicion. I’m not commenting on the events...just the context

Daytona just had or is having Bike Week soon. They are on the naughty list as well. Tampa at least cancelled Gasparilla again this year; that's usually their most crowded yearly event.

SamusAranX

OK, so it looks like there's a problem everywhere, but only Miami Beach seems to recognize the problem, or at least, wants to mitigate it.

And Tampa. Shutting down Gasparilla disappointed many businesses. The beaches over in St. Pete aren't as packed either, except Clearwater. However, I should note that Clearwater is ALWAYS packed. Even in "off" months like September

GimpYancIent

Canada has now surpassed the US as the most desired emigration location in the western hemisphere, though. And most migrants on the other sides of the world are trying to go to Europe, Australia, and even to the rich Gulf states to a certain degree, but not here. We're the destination of convenience for most western hemisphere migrants, due to geography and relative ease of immigration (emphasis on "relative", since its quite a bit harder to legally move to Canada and most of Europe). But this isn't the 1890s anymore.
Hmmmmm I wonder if Disney would consider a park in Canada! Already have a potential theme to work with in Frozen just have a Queen Elsa castle rather than a Cinderella castle. It may impact the tourism flow from southward to northward. If Canada is such a sought after destination now it would be good business sense for Disney to invest there. You know emphasize things like snow rather than periodic tropic showers. Just a suggestion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Daytona just had or is having Bike Week soon. They are on the naughty list as well. Tampa at least cancelled Gasparilla again this year; that's usually their most crowded yearly event.

Daytona made a “blip” for bike week two weeks ago...truth alert: old bearded white people in leather on toys. You expect what you expect.

Barely got a mention compared to beachapalooza

Heppenheimer

Hmmmmm I wonder if Disney would consider a park in Canada! Already have a potential theme to work with in Frozen just have a Queen Elsa castle rather than a Cinderella castle. It may impact the tourism flow from southward to northward. If Canada is such a sought after destination now it would be good business sense for Disney to invest there. You know emphasize things like snow rather than periodic tropic showers. Just a suggestion.
Big difference between being a desirable migration destination and wanting to build a four season theme park there.

However, Toronto was considered as a possible location for Disney World, at least according to Wikipedia:

In the end, Florida's more favorable climate carried the day.

This article from a few years ago raised some Canadian hopes, before they noticed the implication of the specific date on which it was published:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom