Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

Well, I'm not trusting someone going door to door with a bag of "serum" and a box of needles. That just screams bad decision. Thankfully, I get my first vaccine shot today (Pfizer). One of my biggest questions is if this is going to be an annual shot, like the flu vaccine.
Good for you. get it done! I have completed getting the series w no issues. That said, I have a dim view about any attempt to make it an annual thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, I'm not trusting someone going door to door with a bag of "serum" and a box of needles. That just screams bad decision. Thankfully, I get my first vaccine shot today (Pfizer). One of my biggest questions is if this is going to be an annual shot, like the flu vaccine.
I think the mobile vaccine concept is intended more for people who don’t want to have a paper trail or can’t. If you are homeless you can’t sign up for a shot at CVS. Even if you got access to the internet somewhere like a public library or a wifi hotspot they require an address to register for the shot. If you are a migrant worker from another state without proper ID or from another country and/or you are here illegally you may not trust the government or want a paper trail. Those are some examples of how the mobile vaccination teams are used. A virus doesn’t care about your immigration status or where you love it spreads among everyone and everyone needs to be vaccinated.

GimpYancIent

I think the mobile vaccine concept is intended more for people who don’t want to have a paper trail or can’t. If you are homeless you can’t sign up for a shot at CVS. Even if you got access to the internet somewhere like a public library or a wifi hotspot they require an address to register for the shot. If you are a migrant worker from another state without proper ID or from another country and/or you are here illegally you may not trust the government or want a paper trail. Those are some examples of how the mobile vaccination teams are used. A virus doesn’t care about your immigration status or where you love it spreads among everyone and everyone needs to be vaccinated.
Ok. The "We are from the government and here to help" concept, just trust and don't worry about verifying.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure I would trust someone that showed up at my door. If someone asks for personal info, even just medical insurance info it would set off alarm bells. What type of info do they ask for? We had fake census people around while that was going on trying to get people's SSN.
In some cases they were going unannounced to solicit people to be vaccinated and in some cases it can be scheduled in advance for people with disabilities who can’t easily get out to get the vaccine. Here’s a story about a mobile vaccine program in Maryland:

GimpYancIent

In some cases they were going unannounced to solicit people to be vaccinated and in some cases it can be scheduled in advance for people with disabilities who can’t easily get out to get the vaccine. Here’s a story about a mobile vaccine program in Maryland:

How did that work out?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok. The "We are from the government and here to help" concept, just trust and don't worry about verifying.
Verify what? They aren’t forcing people to be vaccinated. They are offering it to people who may not have another way to get it easily and who are probably at high risk of exposure. Using the JnJ vaccine it’s a one and done so you don’t need the people to come back for a second dose.

correcaminos

As I said, I wouldn't either. Which is why I wouldn't want to do that at all in reply to another poster. Door to door unscheduled vaccination is not trutst worthy. Announced clinics with workers spreading the news and around to answer questions would be a better idea. If others are house bound a scheduled mobile van would work.

Edit, I see it was posted already lol

seascape

There was some good news yesterday. 10 States are now in single digits, 30 States are in the 10's, 8 in the 20's, 2 in the 30's and NJ at 43. Florida is still at 21 with an average of 4485 new cases per day. The US as a whole is now averaging 54,183 new cases a day and NY dropped to 32 per 100,000 and 3rd highest state.

DisneyCane

18 states now have a date in March or early April when vaccines will be open to everyone. Thats over 1/3 of states. Looks like most states will probably expand to full eligibility before the May 1 date. Keep up the jabs. 👍👍👍👍

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-rushes-expand-vaccine-eligibility-185450165.html
I hope the supply of doses starts to increase. It looks like for next week FL is supposed to get enough first shots or single shots for about 500k people. Very little J&J, almost all Pfizer and Moderna. There's probably around nine million adults who still want to be vaccinated right now. If the supply of doses doesn't increase, appointments will be very hard to come by when all adults are eligible.

DisneyCane

As I said, I wouldn't either. Which is why I wouldn't want to do that at all in reply to another poster. Door to door unscheduled vaccination is not trutst worthy. Announced clinics with workers spreading the news and around to answer questions would be a better idea. If others are house bound a scheduled mobile van would work.

Edit, I see it was posted already lol
Are they actually going door to door with vials and needles or parking a "mobile vaccination site" in an area and going door to door to see if people want to get a vaccine? I'd trust the latter, I'd never in a million years take a shot from somebody who I've never seen before that shows up at my door with a needle.

Heppenheimer

Nobody knows yet. It depends on if the circulating virus mutates frequently enough to escape the vaccines.

One of the biggest differences between COVID-19 and the flu is that the latter has a very large animal reservoir, and many of those animals we come into regular contact with. The predominant flu antigens get randomly rearranged amongst migrating bird populations, who pass it on to us and other animals. As far as we know, there is no large animal reservoir of SARS-CoV-2. The closest animal analog comes from a specific bat population, but there's sufficient genetic difference between this bat virus and SARS-CoV-2 that it may have needed to mutate first in a human or another animal intermediary host before it could spread among humans. So, the virus jumping between species may have been a one-off accident. Along this theory, if we kill it in humans, it goes away altogether, like SARS-CoV-1.

This is why it is so important to go all-in NOW to drive cases into the ground. Minimize its chances to infect new hosts, and don't give it enough opportunities to mutate away from the vaccine coverage.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Nobody knows yet. It depends on if the circulating virus mutates frequently enough to escape the vaccines.

One of the biggest differences between COVID-19 and the flu is that the latter has a very large animal reservoir, and many of those animals we come into regular contact with. The predominant flu antigens get randomly rearranged amongst migrating bird populations, who pass it on to us and other animals. As far as we know, there is no large animal reservoir of SARS-CoV-2. The closest animal analog comes from a specific bat population, but there's sufficient genetic difference between this bat virus and SARS-CoV-2 that it may have needed to mutate first in a human or another animal intermediary host before it could spread among humans. So, the virus jumping between species may have been a one-off accident. Along this theory, if we kill it in humans, it goes away altogether, like SARS-CoV-1.

This is why it is so important to go all-in NOW to drive cases into the ground. Minimize its chances to infect new hosts, and don't give it enough opportunities to mutate away from the vaccine coverage.

It's also my understanding that coronaviruses mutate pretty slowly. Variants are a problem now because of the sheer volume of infections which increases the chance of mutations.

Skibum1970

In all fairness, I was trying to make a bad joke. I think that it is a great service for those who cannot get out, those that you described, and even those who are poor and are unable to make an appointment or get to the vaccination centers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hope the supply of doses starts to increase. It looks like for next week FL is supposed to get enough first shots or single shots for about 500k people. Very little J&J, almost all Pfizer and Moderna. There's probably around nine million adults who still want to be vaccinated right now. If the supply of doses doesn't increase, appointments will be very hard to come by when all adults are eligible.
JnJ did have a manufacturing issue which caused them to delay delivering doses for a week or 2. They are supposed to pick up deliveries the last week of March and ramp up quickly from there. They likely won’t hit 20M doses delivered in March, but they are still saying the 16M dose will be sent out in March so it’s possible they do it. Even if they deliver the doses they won’t go into arms until the first week of April. Minor setback that hopefully doesn’t delay rollout.

correcaminos

Are they actually going door to door with vials and needles or parking a "mobile vaccination site" in an area and going door to door to see if people want to get a vaccine? I'd trust the latter, I'd never in a million years take a shot from somebody who I've never seen before that shows up at my door with a needle.
The mobile door to door sounds like pre arranged for those with special needs. That makes sense. For others I agree scheduled pop ups

Touchdown

Well my state is about to pass a major milestone this week, 25% of Wisconsinites are going to be at least partially vaccinated by tomorrow (were at 24.7% today) and we already have started vaccinating 70% of seniors. We vaccinated just under 5% of our population this week alone. It’s nice to see things accelerating.

8E6B347F-D584-48F2-95BF-C0D68EF12B49.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom