Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well my state is about to pass a major milestone this week, 25% of Wisconsinites are going to be at least partially vaccinated by tomorrow (were at 24.7% today) and we already have started vaccinating 70% of seniors. We vaccinated just under 5% of our population this week alone. It’s nice to see things accelerating.

View attachment 540988
Good progress. We are right behind you in PA with 24.3% with at least one shot. Might hit 25% by the end of the weekend. Hoping for 1/3 or more by the end of March.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Vaccine status for the country via Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker -

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.23.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.20.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 3.20.27 PM.png

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker

GoofGoof

Premium Member
3.1M is the biggest day yet when you adjust last weekends 4.6 and 1.4 to 3M per day. It’s great to see us hitting 3M+ doses on multiple days. 23.9% of the population started with about 31% of adults started and 69% of the 65+ population. We have a shot at getting to 25% of the population started by the end of the weekend and close to 1/3 of the population and over 40% of adults started by the end of March. Keep it going 👍👍👍👍

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Just an update on how this could impact my WDW visits post-vaccine. And yes, I know there will be variants like the flu, no matter what. And we'll have to take different shots every year. But still, I'm just as cautious as I have been since day one.
Just keep this section in mind:

How worried should we be?

The two studies outlining the new COVID variant in New York made headlines last week, but some experts say it’s the latest example of the struggle to balance scientific validity, epidemiological relevance, and newsworthiness in the Wild West of COVID preprint studies.

“We know from many years of experience that any virus, particularly RNA viruses, are going to vary fairly extensively,” Colin Parrish, professor of virology at Cornell University, told Intelligencer. “There’s very little evidence that most of them will have much effect on the average person,” he said.

“We have to be very careful about presenting these stories that sound alarming. Everyone should really continue to do the best they can in terms of prevention control and getting vaccinated,” he added.

On Thursday, city health officials rushed to quell the public’s concern about the variant: “Not all variants are of public health concern,” Dr. Jay Varma, senior public health adviser to the mayor’s office said during a COVID briefing on Thursday. “We need to just consider this a variant of interest — something that is interesting that we need to follow and track. But it doesn’t change anything about our public health concern. We need more data and studies to understand that.”

As I have been saying for a little while now about the variant narrative lately: we need to let the scientists do their thing and figure out whether there’s a real issue with vaccinations or not. We also need to continue to wear our masks, distance, avoid large gatherings and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. The clickbait media loves to lead with the headline of “vaccines may not work on new variant”. That’s factually accurate because we haven’t studied the impact the new variant has on the vaccines, but there is no evidence they work or don’t work...we just don’t know. That’s different than the implication that they won’t work. I saw an article recently that said studies are now showing that the Brazilian variant is less vaccine resistant than originally thought. Until the scientists do their work it’s just speculation and there are people in the media and experts who love to hype the doom and gloom scenarios. That’s not to say that a variant won’t eventually come along that is vaccine resistant but we will have plenty of time to worry about that once it happens. No point worrying today about something that could happen or a what if scenario. Also, if that dooms day scenario plays out we can quickly develop a booster dose and Pfizer and Moderna alone have the capacity to manufacture 100M doses a month now so in 3 months time could produce enough booster shots for the entire US population.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I've read the news about possible surge due to Spring Break, etc....if they can vaccianting many more people by end of March, April and May, then there will less likely there will be anymore surge/spike or outbreak by July.

MaryJaneP

It is very frustrating when an encouraging article shifts frequently between using the terms "infection" and "transmission". It makes it very hard to follow what the ultimate protective value of the vaccines may be. The vaccines undoubtedly protect the person getting the vaccine. Does it also protect others? This article is as hopeful as many of us are but appears to stop short of positively asserting that vaccines prevent all transmission whatsoever.

If transmission was completely defeated, vaccination would seem to be a very effective mitigation technique. WDW may then begin the rollback of things like social distancing even more. Fireworks watching events could conceivably be something that may return.

Lilofan

I've read the news about possible surge due to Spring Break, etc....if they can vaccianting many more people by end of March, April and May, then there will less likely there will be anymore surge/spike or outbreak by July.
Miami Beach police has initiated an 8pm curfew. The spring break crowds are out of control many not wearing masks with social distancing non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom