Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpac24

We've all seen over the last 12 months facts, truth and science don't matter to too many people. Don't waste your time on them.
Yay the whole science argument again! If we are going to use that argument for coivd let's do it for every health/mental/body related issue. I swear basic self awareness is lost on so many these days.

Heppenheimer

I'm still arguing with people saying the vaccine alters DNA at work. Kinda ridiculous at this point when ppl start their proof with "well on YouTube..."
Then saying there is no point when they haven't proven effective against unknown variants.:banghead: Of course they don't know the effectiveness of UNKNOWN variants, we haven't found them yet.
I'm wondering, people seem very good about remembering all about the books they read in high school English or all WWII or Civil War stuff they learned in history class.

Didn't anybody retain a thing from high school biology? The 101 version of how genetic information is encoded and transcribed really isn't that difficult to understand.

correcaminos

The general public is really bad at understanding personal risk-benefit.

We have whole swaths of people who would rather roll the dice with a pathogen that most definitely can result in major complications over a preventative measure that almost assuredly (many, many, many orders of statistical magnitude) does not. This applies to every age group. I'm even starting to personally see a number of MIS-C and I do not live in a US hotbed.

You guys were having a conversation a week or so ago about cures for Cancer. I wanted to mention nothing annoys me more that we essentially have a preventative measure for almost all cervical cancer (HPV) and a minority of the public feels the need to react the way they do against it. When finally given a "cure" for a cancer, "yes please" should have been the only response.
My mom died of cervical cancer when I was young. When I found out about the vaccine I was so happy though felt the promotions didn't press the importance of pap smears. Both of these could have saved my mom's life.

I have a now 13yo boy. So many with boys discuss how unnecessary it was to get, where my thought is they will help with the prevention as well. It was accidentally delayed due to the pandemic, but we got the first dose in. We were concerned about fever and had to move it around school. Kid had zero reaction lol

tpac24

Is unlikely we will get another surge soon or not? As many people will getting vaccinating by July. Is going to be back to normal by summer or fall/winter.
several big universities are planning normal activity for the fall. Both Oklahoma and University of Alabama have said said 100% in person classes with no capacity limits, back to normal campus activities , in person Greek Life recruitment and football stadiums back to normal capacity. You can even book your tailgate package right now at UA.

BrianLo

My mom died of cervical cancer when I was young. When I found out about the vaccine I was so happy though felt the promotions didn't press the importance of pap smears. Both of these could have saved my mom's life.

I have a now 13yo boy. So many with boys discuss how unnecessary it was to get, where my thought is they will help with the prevention as well. It was accidentally delayed due to the pandemic, but we got the first dose in. We were concerned about fever and had to move it around school. Kid had zero reaction lol

Sorry to hear of your mom, but happy that you get to pass on the benefit to your own child! Fortunately the uptake is very good so it's helping the greater populace, but I agree "this vaccine prevents cancer" was what they needed to lead with. It's helped so much so that Pap smear guidelines have been bumped all the way to age 25 in Canada! I expect that will keep drifting up.

Two of the HPV serotypes are also related to penile cancer and (edit: bottom) cancers, while much less common than cervical it benefits boys too - including their future partners!

willtravel

How hypocritical. He didn't get his Moderna shot until shortly before leaving office.

It recommends waiting up to 90 days after recovering from the virus before getting vaccinated, especially if you were treated for COVID-19 symptoms with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma

A friend and family were told the same thing to wait for 3 months.

GimpYancIent

Boston and the BAA have announced their plans for returning to the Boston Marathon. Field size is capped at 20,000 for an October race. It is normally held in April and normal field size is around 30,000.

Connecting it back to Disney, runDisney holds the wine and dine half in November typically with a field of around 10-15,000 depending on the year.
Looks like the TCS New York City Marathon folks are eyeing an actual live event too;
"We are optimistically looking ahead to the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon on November 7. The health and wellbeing of the running community remains our top priority. We are working with our city, state, and agency partners to plan a safe and exciting event, and we hope to have more specific details to share later this spring."
Speaking as a runner this kind of news is wonderful to hear.

Rteetz

Looks like the TCS New York City Marathon folks are eyeing an actual live event too;
"We are optimistically looking ahead to the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon on November 7. The health and wellbeing of the running community remains our top priority. We are working with our city, state, and agency partners to plan a safe and exciting event, and we hope to have more specific details to share later this spring."
Speaking as a runner this kind of news is wonderful to hear.
Yes the NYT had an article this past week that NYC is looking at around 30,000 in person participants. Boston is really the first to announce an official field size.

correcaminos

Sorry to hear of your mom, but happy that you get to pass on the benefit to your own child! Fortunately the uptake is very good so it's helping the greater populace, but I agree "this vaccine prevents cancer" was what they needed to lead with.

Two of the HPV serotypes are also related to penile cancer and **** cancers, while much less common than cervical it benefits boys too - including their future partners!
Absolutely! I do discuss these cancers and even mouth or throat cancer too if I get some pushback but starting with preventing it in others seems to get through more. It's a great cycle we can break.

And thank you. It's been going on 28 years for my mom. Probably why I'm big into promoting science and proper health care. I am not disparaging my mom, but her fears helped to bring about her untimely death. I push so that others don't have to go through what we did.

GimpYancIent

Yes the NYT had an article this past week that NYC is looking at around 30,000 in person participants. Boston is really the first to announce an official field size.
I am hopeful run Disney, when they traditionally put out the new schedules in April, will have the 2022 listed events as live on property events. The piece de resistance would be live on property races at both DL and WDW with the revival of the Coast to Coast challenge. As all endurance athletes understand its all about going the distance.

Rteetz

I am hopeful run Disney, when they traditionally put out the new schedules in April, will have the 2022 listed events as live on property events. The piece de resistance would be live on property races at both DL and WDW with the revival of the Coast to Coast challenge. As all endurance athletes understand its all about going the distance.
Disneyland coming back is a pipe dream right now.

LaughingGravy

Removing one's mask the second one exits a store or before entering their car (as I do) does absolutely nothing spread covid19 unless people who do so exit stores and enter parking lots that are densely packed with people.
I don't know where such places are - perhaps there are parking lots where people can't avoid being some 6 feet or more from other people?
I've never seen such a place, even in urban locations.
When you are outside within 6 feet of someone not in your close circle (like family you live with), you should have your mask on.
I should clarify on the stores and parking lots. Many supermarkets have a type of indoor/outdoor lobby where sale items are often displayed before someone goes all the way into the store. Sometimes one has to pass through two doors to get all the way in a supermarket. It's that area where I see many people not wearing masks as well as when approaching or departing those areas with the idea that they are not "in" the store, so are not required to wear masks.

Also take a strip mall where none of the stores have buffer areas as described above with only a single double door and a clear shared entrance/exit area of less than a 6 foot distancing situation should the door be used by two or more at the same time. I see people who don't put the mask on until they are in the store and are also taking it off ( breathing on their hands in the process , then touching the door handle).

In the case of a parking lot, if there's any chance of encountering anyone within 6 feet, I keep the mask on until I'm in the car. I had it on the whole time in the store. Why not keep that protection for all in place? The effort is being made.

mmascari

HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, could be the most misunderstood law of all time (including its acronym) ;) I've had people tell me in no uncertain terms that it is the "Health Information Privacy Protection Act," which would fit the acronym HIPPA, but would still be wrong since the name and applicability of the act are not matters of opinion. I like your briefly-stated, accurate explanation.
I'll raise you Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.

If you follow some congressional tweets, the First Amendment might give them both a run for most misunderstood too.

My bet would still be Section 230 if we're using "Internet commenters have it wrong" as a measure, which is kind of ironic. 😆

tpac24

I'm an atheist, yet fully understand why a person of faith might not want to get vaccinated by the J&J vaccine.
Finally a voice of reason. Also it isn't like I was saying others shouldn't get it . Just that my family would not be especially since there are other options available. I just guess there are some on here who don't value the opinions of others as highly as they do their own.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 93 new reported deaths, along with 6 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 2.50.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 2.50.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 2.51.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 2.50.25 PM.png

Tom P.

Agree, those fetal cells are from a fetus who was aborted in the 1980s and the act was vollentary for the mother and she elected to donate the fetal cells. It doesn’t excuse the act but I personally do not see why we can’t benefit from those cell lines today, using them does not require more fetuses to be aborted and those vaccines are going to save millions of lives.
I think it has to come down to each individual's choice. I don't think it should be difficult to understand the position of someone who takes any of the vaccines, nor do I think it should be difficult to understand the position of someone who has a moral quandry about a particular vaccine.

For those who are Catholic, the position of both the Vatican and the US Conference of Catholic Bishops has been clear. There is a "moral gray area" with all three vaccines because of their use of aborted fetal tissue, however it is less of a concern for Pfizer and Moderna than for Johnson & Johnson. The Church has said that the public health issue is so grave that any Catholic can feel comfortable receiving whichever of the vaccines are available, but that if one is presented with a choice, it would be morally preferable to choose Pfizer or Moderna over J&J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom