Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I know you all don't care but... As published in Nature, B.1.1.7 is not only more transmissible, it also has a higher mortality rate. The early reported data was ~30% higher, but has been revised upwards to 55%. Tweet thread from one of the paper’s authors.

In several sunny and warm states (FL, GA, TX) the variant has tipped over to dominant. However, the state being watched because it has the 2nd highest number of cases behind FL, but less friendly weather right now. Michigan.

So it will not become dominant? Vaccines will stop it?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So it will not become dominant? Vaccines will stop it?
Yes, the vaccines are still highly effective against that variant so no worries for you. Just get your second dose and you’re covered:

Vaccines still respond well to this variant​

It’s important to note the current crop of vaccines still perform well against the variant.

A slight drop in the numbers of neutralising antibodies responding to the B.1.1.7 virus was recorded after vaccination with vaccines from Novavax and Moderna. But the protection these vaccines offer should still be sufficient to prevent severe disease. This variant also had a negligible impact on the function of T-cells, which can kill virus-infected cells and help control the infection.

Preliminary data suggest people given the AstraZeneca vaccine also experienced a mild decrease in the number of circulating antibodies when infected with the B.1.1.7 variant. But again, the effect was relatively modest, and the authors say the efficacy of the vaccine against this variant is similar to that of the original Wuhan strain of the virus.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, the vaccines are still highly effective against that variant so no worries for you. Just get your second dose and you’re covered:

Vaccines still respond well to this variant​

It’s important to note the current crop of vaccines still perform well against the variant.

A slight drop in the numbers of neutralising antibodies responding to the B.1.1.7 virus was recorded after vaccination with vaccines from Novavax and Moderna. But the protection these vaccines offer should still be sufficient to prevent severe disease. This variant also had a negligible impact on the function of T-cells, which can kill virus-infected cells and help control the infection.

Preliminary data suggest people given the AstraZeneca vaccine also experienced a mild decrease in the number of circulating antibodies when infected with the B.1.1.7 variant. But again, the effect was relatively modest, and the authors say the efficacy of the vaccine against this variant is similar to that of the original Wuhan strain of the virus.

^ Cool, now as pandemic is near end soon in USA, as we're soon getting back to normal almost by July. Even Thanksgiving and Christmas will be much better than last year. Soon no more surges as all 70%-85% people got vaccinated in US.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I feel like the US is going at the acceptable speed of vaccinations to outpace the variants from surging. Sure they're becoming dominant but cases are still dropping.
I'm scared, guys. Is speeding up ramping faster to stop variants becoming dominant and surges?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
PA to continue to relax Covid restrictions starting in April. Patrons can now be served at the bar again and alcohol sales without the purchase of food are allowed. Indoor dining is ramping up to 75% and outdoor venues like Citizens Bank Park where the Phillies play can now be open at 50% capacity (20,000 fans). They are keeping masks and social distancing (still 6 feet but I imagine that changes to 3 as soon as the CDC pulls the trigger). I’m not sure how many restaurants can actually expand to 75% capacity with tables 6 feet apart but I’m sure having bar seating is a big win for bar owners.

Aside from allowing me to go get a beer at the bar on April 22 when I’m fully immune :cool: I would think moves like this, especially for outdoor sports venues should pave the way for WDW to allow outdoor entertainment soon. I know this stuff has been allowed in FL since Sept, but if the rest of the country adopts similar plans it would seem foolish for Disney not to follow.

DisneyCane

PA to continue to relax Covid restrictions starting in April. Patrons can now be served at the bar again and alcohol sales without the purchase of food are allowed. Indoor dining is ramping up to 75% and outdoor venues like Citizens Bank Park where the Phillies play can now be open at 50% capacity (20,000 fans). They are keeping masks and social distancing (still 6 feet but I imagine that changes to 3 as soon as the CDC pulls the trigger). I’m not sure how many restaurants can actually expand to 75% capacity with tables 6 feet apart but I’m sure having bar seating is a big win for bar owners.

Aside from allowing me to go get a beer at the bar on April 22 when I’m fully immune :cool: I would think moves like this, especially for outdoor sports venues should pave the way for WDW to allow outdoor entertainment soon. I know this stuff has been allowed in FL since Sept, but if the rest of the country adopts similar plans it would seem foolish for Disney not to follow.

I'll have a beer with you next time I'm in PA after 4/22. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Israel is up to 47% fully vaccinated. It will be interesting to see how their case numbers progress over the next few weeks to a month as they get closer to the range expected to be needed for herd immunity. Their cases are steadily declining despite a small plateau that was short lived. Probably a good lesson to wait for the longer term trends.

12B84474-6FCF-4579-B079-6C0C4A994E61.png

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

These states opening up and stuff like Spring Break will not lead to a surge in all likelihood. How can we know this? Well we went through it already last summer. I remember very clearly when Tennessee and a decent handful of other states "opened up" for indoor dining, etc. and of course the media went into a frenzy about "in 2 weeks they will see MASSIVE SURGES" and it never happened.

Covid was a big storm we drove through but I feel like it's subsiding and we are starting to see some blue skies. Some people will hate that though. I know several people personally who absolutely love the lock downs because it allows them to be anti-social, or it feeds into their germ-o-phobia. You know what they say, misery loves company! ;)

Lilofan

I'm saying FL doesn't need to follow those states yet.
More shots = more lives saved. If residents in your state cannot get appts and your governor is opening up in early April to all residents eligible to get shots, then plans need to made to make things happen. When the glut of vaccines does come to the states then states will need plans if they haven't have them in the pipeline already.

seascape

Today's numbers are mixed. The best news is California is down to 8 cases per 100,000 and Texas is down to 16. However, NY regained the 2 cases per 100,000 they lost yesterday and are back to 36 and NJ continued their daily climb and are now at 42, double Florida's 21. The US is now averaging 55,153 new cases or 16.7 cases a day.

1 state in the 40s.
2 states in the 30's
7 states in the 20's
36 states in the 10's, 6 of which are at 10.
5 states in single digits.

I am extremely upset with my neighbors. No matter how anyone looks at it, being double the national average is a disgrace and NY and NJ are well passes that. In fact if NJ keeps things going the way they are they could soon be 3 times the national average. They are currently at 251%. Deaths are coming down but only because seniors and high risk individuals are being vaccinated. We need to get rid of Covid19 and doing whatever my neighbors are doing is wrong. There is no excuse for the increase in NY, NJ and RI at the same time California falls to 8 snd Texas to 16.

MaximumEd

I don’t get the anger with what’s happening in NY and NJ. It’s a highly contagious virus in a densely populated area. We’ve seen various states have their case numbers go way up and then fall back time and again all over the country for the past year. Don’t think you can just chalk it up to folks in NY and NJ are stupid and the rest of us are acting right. Trust me....we ain’t all acting right.

seascape

I don’t get the anger with what’s happening in NY and NJ. It’s a highly contagious virus in a densely populated area. We’ve seen various states have their case numbers go way up and then fall back time and again all over the country for the past year. Don’t think you can just chalk it up to folks in NY and NJ are stupid and the rest of us are acting right. Trust me....we ain’t all acting right.
I was born and raised in NJ. I own homes in NJ, NY and Florida. For almost a full year I have read how bad Florida is doing and what a great job Cuomo did. Yes, states have seen their numbers go up and down but NY almost daily has bragged how great they are doing, they aren't. Besides, maybe they will do better if they are shamed into it because whatever they are doing right now, things are going in the wrong direction. The pandemic can't be over in the US until it's over in all states.

ABQ

I was born and raised in NJ. I own homes in NJ, NY and Florida. For almost a full year I have read how bad Florida is doing and what a great job Cuomo did. Yes, states have seen their numbers go up and down but NY almost daily has bragged how great they are doing, they aren't. Besides, maybe they will do better if they are shamed into it because whatever they are doing right now, things are going in the wrong direction. The pandemic can't be over in the US until it's over in all states.
I'm confused at why just now your neighbor's neighbor, PA, is opening up bar seating and sports venues when they don't appear to be so far ahead of the curve in cases per day.
1615893328641.png

The mid-Atlantic corridor has so much travel between its states that it's tough to believe PA, especially the Philadelphia region, is much different than NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom