Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll raise you Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.

If you follow some congressional tweets, the First Amendment might give them both a run for most misunderstood too.

My bet would still be Section 230 if we're using "Internet commenters have it wrong" as a measure, which is kind of ironic. 😆
It's snowing like crazy here. Thanks for giving me something to do :)

seascape

Numbers are out - there were 93 new reported deaths, along with 6 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

View attachment 539735View attachment 539736View attachment 539737View attachment 539738
Using these numbers the average cases per 100,000 is down to 20.52 using the 2020 population that the NY Times uses. Using the 2021 population estimate it would be 20.12. Florida is just about to leave the 20's and get into the teens. 4,340 is the magic number for exactly 20 cases per 100,000 using 21.7 milllion population. However, since we all want to break into single digits we need to reach an average of 2,170. A very reachable goal.

mmascari

Wow. A big drop in cases today. Good sign.
Except that tests are the lowest on the chart, less than half of most of the other days. Plus the positivity is second highest, one of two over 6%.

Hopefully it's a data anomaly. Otherwise it's a failing in finding contacts to test. I definitely wouldn't count this one day as a large improvement. It's more of an unknown day, weekend impacts perhaps. Another reminder that the daily numbers have issues.

Dan Deesnee

Love seeing this. Should be back to normal (mostly, hopefully) by sometime this summer.

1615837486776.png

Incomudro

I'm wondering, people seem very good about remembering all about the books they read in high school English or all WWII or Civil War stuff they learned in history class.

Didn't anybody retain a thing from high school biology? The 101 version of how genetic information is encoded and transcribed really isn't that difficult to understand.
People don't retain the basic knowledge of weather that they learn in high school.
Every summer, I hear a person marvel when a thunderstorm erupts late in the day on a hot and humid northeastern afternoon.
"It was sunny this morning!"

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm still arguing with people saying the vaccine alters DNA at work. Kinda ridiculous at this point when ppl start their proof with "well on YouTube..."
Then saying there is no point when they haven't proven effective against unknown variants.:banghead: Of course they don't know the effectiveness of UNKNOWN variants, we haven't found them yet.
I have a friend who won’t get the vaccine because they are young and healthy and won’t get seriously ill if they do get Covid and too many higher risk people haven’t gotten it yet. I told them they should get it anyway to ensure they don’t get covid and infect other people. They then told me that they heard it doesn’t stop you from infecting other people. I sent a few articles with studies showing the vaccines are highly effective at preventing spread. I didn’t hear back. I’m pretty sure a lot of people make up their mind and then look for ways to justify their decision. They don’t want to hear facts or logic or common sense talk. All you can do is try, you never know if you will get through to someone and even if you don’t you’ve only wasted some breath. No harm trying.

Lilofan

I have a friend who won’t get the vaccine because they are young and healthy and won’t get seriously ill if they do get Covid and too many higher risk people haven’t gotten it yet. I told them they should get it anyway to ensure they don’t get covid and infect other people. They then told me that they heard it doesn’t stop you from infecting other people. I sent a few articles with studies showing the vaccines are highly effective at preventing spread. I didn’t hear back. I’m pretty sure a lot of people make up their mind and then look for ways to justify their decision. They don’t want to hear facts or logic or common sense talk. All you can do is try, you never know if you will get through to someone and even if you don’t you’ve only wasted some breath. No harm trying.
That young and healthy attitude is a complete fallacy. My brother's friend is that and is battling right now from Covid.

correcaminos

The ignore button is your friend.
I had to after asking them nicely in private to stop. I think some are here for pot stirring more than discussing
Yes, one can try. There are some who use excuses as just that - an excuse. They aren't sincere so when you prove with facts, they still won't listen. Those are harder to get through than the ones who fear western (particularly white) medicine I think. Some just don't want it and don't really know why. Best we can do is try to get info out and hope it helps some.

One who told me they just needed more research had a birthday party for their kid. Many extended family and friends and not a mask in sight (indoors) . It's hard to see the ones not taking it seriously.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That young and healthy attitude is a complete fallacy. My brother's friend is that and is battling right now from Covid.
I have a co-worker in the same boat. Went into the hospital with Covid yesterday. He’s mid 40s with young children and no known health issues. When you are high risk the odds are much higher that you have a serious case, but they are far from zero for people who are lower risk. I haven kinda given up that battle at this point when it comes to covid safety protocols. If people haven’t changed in a year they won’t suddenly now. I do hope they reconsider the small time commitment it takes to get vaccinated. Wait until the vaccine is readily available if you want so you don’t have to search out an appointment and get JnJ since it’s one and done.

JoeCamel

Good to see. I have no problem with politicians making mistakes as long as they are willing to admit when they are wrong. This is a good pivot away from a poorly thought out policy.
Sarasota voted to let the mask mandate expire at the end of February. The councilman that asked for the vote now wants it restored as of today. Will take a supermajority rather than the simple majority it took to remove but his comment was "I was wrong and made a poor judgement, we need to mask to the end".
Some politicians have character but I fear his career is over.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Looks like the TCS New York City Marathon folks are eyeing an actual live event too;
"We are optimistically looking ahead to the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon on November 7. The health and wellbeing of the running community remains our top priority. We are working with our city, state, and agency partners to plan a safe and exciting event, and we hope to have more specific details to share later this spring."
Speaking as a runner this kind of news is wonderful to hear.
Looks like it's getting back to normal soon right? Anyways, Spring Break is coming soon but it will be surge or not?

Last edited:

Lilofan

As of now, this only pertains to the Orange County Convention Center site - Mayor Demmings asked the state for permission and it was granted today -

FL needs to follow the lead of AK,UT,LA and now CT

AK opening up to 16 and up
UT opening up to 18 and up
LA opening up to 16 and up
CT opening up to 45 and up starting 3/19 and opening up to 16 and up starting 4/5.

DisneyCane

FL needs to follow the lead of AK,UT,LA and now CT

AK opening up to 16 and up
UT opening up to 18 and up
LA opening up to 16 and up
CT opening up to 45 and up starting 3/19 and opening up to 16 and up starting 4/5.
Not yet. 60 and up are still having problems getting appointments in many counties. Until it goes down to 55+ and you get 70% vaccinated in that age group, there is no impetus to open up younger. Once 55+ reaches that threshold, then open to anybody who wants it.

Lilofan

Not yet. 60 and up are still having problems getting appointments in many counties. Until it goes down to 55+ and you get 70% vaccinated in that age group, there is no impetus to open up younger. Once 55+ reaches that threshold, then open to anybody who wants it.
Governor Lamont of CT has announced or do you know something more?

correcaminos

Looks like it's getting back to normal soon right? Anyways, Spring Break is coming soon but it will be surge or not?

My guess is a small uptick, but not a surge. Spring break is super spread out in many places. Ours is this week. Ohio State (university next to us) canceled theirs as did many universities. Others in my city are later on this month. Some at Easter. Maybe a plateau or some small rise, but not surge is my guess because of how spread out it is. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

hopemax

I know you all don't care but... As published in Nature, B.1.1.7 is not only more transmissible, it also has a higher mortality rate. The early reported data was ~30% higher, but has been revised upwards to 55%. Tweet thread from one of the paper’s authors.

In several sunny and warm states (FL, GA, TX) the variant has tipped over to dominant. However, the state being watched because it has the 2nd highest number of cases behind FL, but less friendly weather right now. Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom