Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For the record, I made a statement about the effect of misplaced optimism of Americans, overall. And a separate statement on a specific piece of the state of the pandemic involving GoofGoof. People can be in more than one place about the state of things. Precautions are one thing, meeting benchmarks are another.
I am not optimistic that people are going to do the right thing now and continue to follow Covid safety protocols. I am not happy to see states drop mask mandates and open things fully without distancing. I am not optimistic that we would be in good shape if we needed to continue Covid restrictions for 6 months or longer, especially as the Summer approaches. What I am optimistic about is the vaccine rollout, the vaccine effectiveness and the return to normal that is possible once we get the bulk of people vaccinated.

correcaminos

Removing one's mask the second one exits a store or before entering their car (as I do) does absolutely nothing spread covid19 unless people who do so exit stores and enter parking lots that are densely packed with people.
I don't know where such places are - perhaps there are parking lots where people can't avoid being some 6 feet or more from other people?
I've never seen such a place, even in urban locations.
To be fair if one is not washing/sanitizing and touching their face all over, it's not good to do it either. Like when it's cold, I'm too cold to sanitize before removing so mask stays. Though being fully vaccinated I care a hint less if I don't have santizer on me. I'll be honest with that.

All that said, small malls here can often be impossible to distance until the car.

Polkadotdress

Yeah, maybe Trump should blast it out on Twitter that everyone should get vaccinated. That would be a great way to spread the word. ;) :banghead: Oddly, anecdotal data polling of friends and family, 100% of republican men in my circle want or have taken the vaccine, but only 25% of republican women want to. Not sure why the hesitancy among the women.
Trump did blast out a vaccine message, and the main subject was "ME, ME, ME!!!!"

In regards to the Republican women vaccine hesitancy, I live in a Republican enclave in Central FL, and am surrounded by Republican women. And I can most assuredly confirm that they all subscribe to the belief that the vaccine was produced too quickly, and therefore there *may* be a risk to their reproductive health...they also state that "No way in heck would they allow their teenaged daughters to get it either." (when approved for teens)

All of this has been debunked, and I am the sole vaccinated person in the group. Just got shot #2 yesterday, and am working off the effects of the "vaccine hangover" today.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I am not optimistic that people are going to do the right thing now and continue to follow Covid safety protocols. I am not happy to see states drop mask mandates and open things fully without distancing. I am not optimistic that we would be in good shape if we needed to continue Covid restrictions for 6 months or longer, especially as the Summer approaches. What I am optimistic about is the vaccine rollout, the vaccine effectiveness and the return to normal that is possible once we get the bulk of people vaccinated.
Will COVID-19 restrictions may lose sooner by July if the people got vaccinating faster than COVID-19 restrictions for six months or longer.
Will it will go back to normal sooner by summer or fall/winter. By the way, is this Fall/Winter will be much better than last Fall/Winter?

correcaminos

Trump did blast out a vaccine message, and the main subject was "ME, ME, ME!!!!"

In regards to the Republican women vaccine hesitancy, I live in a Republican enclave in Central FL, and am surrounded by Republican women. And I can most assuredly confirm that they all subscribe to the belief that the vaccine was produced too quickly, and therefore there *may* be a risk to their reproductive health...they also state that "No way in heck would they allow their teenaged daughters to get it either." (when approved for teens)

All of this has been debunked, and I am the sole vaccinated person in the group. Just got shot #2 yesterday, and am working off the effects of the "vaccine hangover" today.
Yay for shot number 2! Hope it's not too bad for you.

I've heard that line of thinking a lot. Such a shame too. I can say as a woman my body in my early 40s is working no different than it did prior to September but strangely info is not getting out. Sometime I think irrational fears allow many of us to latch onto incorrect info.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
According to the site that must not be named, someone who refused to wear a mask at Epcot spit on a cast member.

Not that this is an isolated incident in our country, or the world, but it’s Disney related and I’m all for masks when required on private property. So, here it is.

Rteetz

Boston and the BAA have announced their plans for returning to the Boston Marathon. Field size is capped at 20,000 for an October race. It is normally held in April and normal field size is around 30,000.

Connecting it back to Disney, runDisney holds the wine and dine half in November typically with a field of around 10-15,000 depending on the year.

Heppenheimer

Not a single vaccine has ever been linked to infertility of any cause, but I remember similar completely unfounded chatter when the HPV vaccine came out. Where does this nonsense come from?

The only real reproductive health concerns with any vaccine are the MMR, Varicella and live Zoster shots, which should not be given during pregnancy.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Boston and the BAA have announced their plans for returning to the Boston Marathon. Field size is capped at 20,000 for an October race. It is normally held in April and normal field size is around 30,000.

Connecting it back to Disney, runDisney holds the wine and dine half in November typically with a field of around 10-15,000 depending on the year.
is this will finally go back to normal soon as pandemic will finally be over in US for good by fall?

Polkadotdress

Not a single vaccine has ever been linked to infertility of any cause, but I remember similar completely unfounded chatter when the HPV vaccine came out. Where does this nonsense come from?

The only real reproductive health concerns with any vaccine are the MMR, Varicella and live Zoster shots, which should not be given during pregnancy.
The HPV is also on their “forbidden” list for the teens. I happily got them for both of my teenagers.

DisneyCane

According to the site that must not be named, someone who refused to wear a mask at Epcot spit on a cast member.

Not that this is an isolated incident in our country, or the world, but it’s Disney related and I’m all for masks when required on private property. So, here it is.
I hope the person was arrested and will spend at least some time in a jail cell. Regarless of COVID, that is disgusting and uncivilized. I commend the CM for not beating the crap out of the person because that would likely be my reaction to somebody spitting on me.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I hope the person was arrested and will spend at least some time in a jail cell. Regarless of COVID, that is disgusting and uncivilized. I commend the CM for not beating the crap out of the person because that would likely be my reaction to somebody spitting on me.
Here's the story -

"A 51-year-old Palm Beach man was charged with a felony after he was accused of spitting at a Disney World security guard who asked him to put on his mask, according to an Orange County Sheriff’s arrest report released Monday.

Kelly McKin was charged with a battery on a security officer, court records show.

McKin adamantly denied spitting on the guard last month at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, the arrest report said. He did immediately not return a message for comment Monday.

However, the security guard said she recognized McKin from his long grey beard and mustache. On Feb. 5, the guard said she had confronted him about not wearing a mask on Disney property as he was walking into the Contemporary’s convention center.

The guard described what happened next in the arrest report.

She asked if he needed directions. “I’m a guest,” he told her.

The convention center was closed, she said.

She asked him to put on his mask. He promised he would do so once he went inside the building.

The security guard reminded him masks were required at all times on Disney property.

“The male told her to leave him alone, and took a step towards her and spit on her,” the arrest report said. “The spit did not make direct contact but some saliva did hit her on her left forehead.”

The guard, who did not have a radio on her, went to get backup while the man disappeared inside the hotel and got on the elevators.
“That was the last he was seen,” the arrest report said.

The security contact notified Disney she had been at risk of COVID-19 exposure. She also told authorities she was willing to press charges against the man.

The next day, Feb. 6, Orange County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call from Disney requesting a trespass warning after the man had been identified and seen on surveillance footage.

McKin was later arrested and trespassed from Disney property.

The Sentinel first reported the spitting incident in an earlier story this month that looked at the harassment some employees faced enforcing the safety rules on Disney property. The Sentinel had requested additional reports Feb. 23 to see if the man accused of spitting on the security guard had been identified and arrested. The sheriff’s office released the arrest report three weeks later on Monday.

Even though most people wear their masks without issues at the theme parks, a handful of visitors had been arrested in recent weeks for their outbursts when they refused to wear masks or go through temperature checks, the Sentinel found. One Disney Springs employee said she faced regular verbal abuse from visitors as she enforced the rules.

“Millions of guests visit our theme parks each year, and in rare instances when things of this nature occur, we hold them accountable,” Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said in a statement earlier this month."

BrianLo

The general public is really bad at understanding personal risk-benefit.

We have whole swaths of people who would rather roll the dice with a pathogen that most definitely can result in major complications over a preventative measure that almost assuredly (many, many, many orders of statistical magnitude) does not. This applies to every age group. I'm even starting to personally see a number of MIS-C and I do not live in a US hotbed.

You guys were having a conversation a week or so ago about cures for Cancer. I wanted to mention nothing annoys me more that we essentially have a preventative measure for almost all cervical cancer (HPV) and a minority of the public feels the need to react the way they do against it. When finally given a "cure" for a cancer, "yes please" should have been the only response.

ABQ

Well there was this one time, tough to find more as the account is long gone, of course. But this is the one and only, granted, I can find and it's not anti vaccine that I can see.

1615831310909.png

Considering the poor grammar, why capitalize the V in vaccine, I assume it's not photoshop.

jmp85

Here's the story -

"A 51-year-old Palm Beach man was charged with a felony after he was accused of spitting at a Disney World security guard who asked him to put on his mask, according to an Orange County Sheriff’s arrest report released Monday.

Kelly McKin was charged with a battery on a security officer, court records show.

McKin adamantly denied spitting on the guard last month at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, the arrest report said. He did immediately not return a message for comment Monday.

However, the security guard said she recognized McKin from his long grey beard and mustache. On Feb. 5, the guard said she had confronted him about not wearing a mask on Disney property as he was walking into the Contemporary’s convention center.

The guard described what happened next in the arrest report.

She asked if he needed directions. “I’m a guest,” he told her.

The convention center was closed, she said.

She asked him to put on his mask. He promised he would do so once he went inside the building.

The security guard reminded him masks were required at all times on Disney property.

“The male told her to leave him alone, and took a step towards her and spit on her,” the arrest report said. “The spit did not make direct contact but some saliva did hit her on her left forehead.”

The guard, who did not have a radio on her, went to get backup while the man disappeared inside the hotel and got on the elevators.
“That was the last he was seen,” the arrest report said.

The security contact notified Disney she had been at risk of COVID-19 exposure. She also told authorities she was willing to press charges against the man.

The next day, Feb. 6, Orange County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call from Disney requesting a trespass warning after the man had been identified and seen on surveillance footage.

McKin was later arrested and trespassed from Disney property.

The Sentinel first reported the spitting incident in an earlier story this month that looked at the harassment some employees faced enforcing the safety rules on Disney property. The Sentinel had requested additional reports Feb. 23 to see if the man accused of spitting on the security guard had been identified and arrested. The sheriff’s office released the arrest report three weeks later on Monday.

Even though most people wear their masks without issues at the theme parks, a handful of visitors had been arrested in recent weeks for their outbursts when they refused to wear masks or go through temperature checks, the Sentinel found. One Disney Springs employee said she faced regular verbal abuse from visitors as she enforced the rules.

“Millions of guests visit our theme parks each year, and in rare instances when things of this nature occur, we hold them accountable,” Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said in a statement earlier this month."

Glad the charges are a felony. What an entitled POS....

Lilofan

Well there was this one time, tough to find more as the account is long gone, of course. But this is the one and only, granted, I can find and it's not anti vaccine that I can see.

View attachment 539727
Considering the poor grammar, why capitalize the V in vaccine, I assume it's not photoshop.
How hypocritical. He didn't get his Moderna shot until shortly before leaving office.

Patcheslee

On herd immunity go back to last Summer or even the fall. Many of the same experts were saying 40-60% immune as the range. It wasn’t until Oct/Nov and we found out that we had 2 vaccines with 95% efficacy that the number creeped up to 70-90%. I get that logic. If you say we can reach herd immunity with 60% immune and the vaccines were all 60% effective you would need 100% vaccinated. If you find out you have a 95% effective vaccine then you only need 2/3 vaccinated for 60% immune. If the public assumes only 2/3 need to be vaccinated you have more vaccine hesitancy. Bad outcome. You can Google the interviews where Dr Fauci said they same thing.

My only point is that the consensus estimated percent needed for herd immunity is not going down it‘s much higher than it was in the past. The estimates in the past were all based on math and science too so it wasn’t just wishful thinking. The truth is we have no idea what the number needs to be and won’t know until after we reach it. There’s no calculation that can be done today with any level of real certainty. As far as variants, the vaccines are highly effective vs the UK variant. See recent studies in the UK after the rollout of the vaccines. The unvaccinated will be infected faster than before the variants so if anything we may reach herd immunity faster if that particular variant becomes more dominant.
I'm still arguing with people saying the vaccine alters DNA at work. Kinda ridiculous at this point when ppl start their proof with "well on YouTube..."
Then saying there is no point when they haven't proven effective against unknown variants.:banghead: Of course they don't know the effectiveness of UNKNOWN variants, we haven't found them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom