Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Here's one. Lots of different people tweeted it. There are others too. Sorry about your day.

Woah yeah missed that one. I have never had a visceral reaction to a president before this one. This is exactly why. Still making covid a racist thing and acting like he had everything to do with the success of all of the shots. I have liked and disliked aspects all presidents, but this one takes the cake. And yep, as I said blocking Twitter means nothing.

Thanks though. While I am tired of losing loved ones, this was more expected and rather peaceful. We all loved her. She was living with her daughter and they were great friends so we spent a lot of time with both and both are in our super close circle.

What about the rest of us that work every day out in contact with everybody but don't have a status job? Are electricians not important? Or refrigeration? Etc see where im going? Or a mcdonalds worker even? Theres this thought process on this board that we can all work from home except nurses,teachers and first responders. Theres legitimately 100s of other occupuations that come into contact with people on a daily basis.

In for everyone getting vacinated....trying to box me into a corner saying teachers shouldnt be is silly...but to each there own.
Communication, electricians, IT and similar technology types to me are often getting the shaft. Some places are putting food workers ahead and even those in the plants processing for our consumption. It means little I am sure but when I think essential is much broader than some do. That's why distribution will never be fair. We are getting close to a time when it doesn't matter though. We'll all be vaccinated soon.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What about the rest of us that work every day out in contact with everybody but don't have a status job? Are electricians not important? Or refrigeration? Etc see where im going? Or a mcdonalds worker even? Theres this thought process on this board that we can all work from home except nurses,teachers and first responders. Theres legitimately 100s of other occupuations that come into contact with people on a daily basis.

In for everyone getting vacinated....trying to box me into a corner saying teachers shouldnt be is silly...but to each there own.

Everyone on these boards understands that there is a wide range of jobs that can't work from home, and we all know that everyone who wants to will eventually get vaccinated. When you have a limited amount of vaccine, it makes sense to prioritize it's distribution for the best outcome. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand. Yes, the details of that can get a little messy, but's it better then not prioritizing at all. Imagine high risk people dying because vaccine dosses were quickly taken up by people young healthy people who are working from home.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well the NY Times numbers for Friday's report is out. Clearly there was a problem with Delaware in yesterday's report as they now say Delaware is at 21 cases a day. That is great news. As for the other states in the 30s, NJ is still at 39, NY still at 37 and RI still at 32. Horrible and my neighbors in NY and NJ should be ashamed of themselves and President Biden should come out and specifically criticize those 3 states. The 4th highest state is DC with 23 followed by Massachusetts with 22 and Delaware, South Carolina, Florida and Connecticut with 21. Every other state is at 19 or below. That is 41 states! Yes 41 states are 19 or below and yet 3 states are over 30! NO EXCUSE. Since DC is not a state and is actually a city, I will compare NJ and NY to the real 4th highest state, Massachusetts. New Jersey has 77.3% more cases than Massachusetts and NY has 68.2% more. Now since we are all more interested in Florida, NJ has 85.7% more cases and NY has 76.2% more cases than Florida. AGAIN, NO EXCUSE. Look at California, they are now at 9 cases per 100,000. Wyoming increased from 9 to 10 but trading Wyoming for California is a trade anyone would make.

3 states in the 30's
6 states in the 20's
36 states in the 10's
6 cases in single digits.
I thought I already schooled you that case rates are at the whim of who gets tested. If you want to know how bad things are, look at the death rate.

According to the NYT, these states have a higher death rate than NJ & NY:

Arkansas
Alabama
Oklahoma
Texas
Kentucky

Put them on your shame list.

GimpYancIent

I thought I already schooled you that case rates are at the whim of who gets tested. If you want to know how bad things are, look at the death rate.

Arkansas
Alabama
Oklahoma
Texas
Kentucky

Not supported from anything I have seen particularly your own, quite numerous on this thread, flow charts and statistics.

Arkansas
Alabama
Oklahoma
Texas
Kentucky

That is not true.

#USA
State
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
Population

1New Jersey 830,848 23,854 599,623207,37193,5412,68611,130,765 1,253,1558,882,190 [view by county] [1] [projections]
2New York 1,768,855 49,021 867,946851,88890,9272,52040,764,117 2,095,45819,453,561 [view by county] [1] [2] [3] [projections]
3Rhode Island 130,502 2,567 8,008119,927123,1892,4233,205,252 3,025,6471,059,361 [1] [2] [projections]
4Massachusetts 598,859 16,580 556,42125,85886,8862,40617,229,788 2,499,7876,892,503 [1] [projections]
5Mississippi 299,887 6,883 283,9539,051100,7632,3132,522,676 847,6312,976,149 [1] [2] [3] [projections]
6Arizona 831,832 16,519 777,06838,245114,2832,2694,355,644 598,4087,278,717 [1] [projections]
7Connecticut 290,577 7,765 251,66831,14481,5022,1787,114,823 1,995,5823,565,287 [1] [2] [projections]
8South Dakota 114,347 1,907 110,2772,163129,2552,156431,342 487,580884,659 [1] [projections]
9Louisiana 436,482 9,861 420,4596,16293,8912,1216,206,045 1,334,9804,648,794 [view by county] [1] [projections]
10Alabama 502,711 10,299 303,746188,666102,5272,1002,465,517 502,8404,903,185

seascape

Arkansas
Alabama
Oklahoma
Texas
Kentucky

There is a problem with the death rate too. Florida should be at the top of the list since age is one of the major risks. In any case, as a home owner in 3 states, New Jersey, New York and Florida, those are the states I care about. As for the states above, all but Texas should be compared. Texas has a special issues, the US Mexican border. It is the number 1 state for illegal immigration and according to the testing of those caught 6% are positive but since the number used to divide the cases by is 2020 Texas population they have a special issue. However even with that they are in the teens in cases. As for the number of cases, it is not just on the whim of who is tested. You are right if those with no symptoms get tested the possibility rate of those tested will be lower but in almost every case those with symptoms will get tested. Just having more people tested will not result in a 70% higher rate than another state unless there was much more cases. Also hospitalization does not mean what it did at the beginning on this. When I tested positive, all I was told was to stay home and quarantine.

Crunchie9

How disheartening. COVID is a community problem and it could have been solved so much more efficiently with a community solution. Unfortunately, too many people decided that their individual comfort and enjoyment came first. How would we have fared in WWII if folks had simply decided that it would be more convenient not to participate in rationing, tire drives, or air raid drills?
I think they would be in jail?

Crunchie9

Woah yeah missed that one. I have never had a visceral reaction to a president before this one. This is exactly why. Still making covid a racist thing and acting like he had everything to do with the success of all of the shots. I have liked and disliked aspects all presidents, but this one takes the cake. And yep, as I said blocking Twitter means nothing.

Thanks though. While I am tired of losing loved ones, this was more expected and rather peaceful. We all loved her. She was living with her daughter and they were great friends so we spent a lot of time with both and both are in our super close circle.

Communication, electricians, IT and similar technology types to me are often getting the shaft. Some places are putting food workers ahead and even those in the plants processing for our consumption. It means little I am sure but when I think essential is much broader than some do. That's why distribution will never be fair. We are getting close to a time when it doesn't matter though. We'll all be vaccinated soon.
Which variant is the worst of COVID? the original "china one", the 'Uk" one, or the "Brazilian" one. Why is one racist but the others are not?

Answer? the source of source of the comments. Lets remember a simple google search shows thousands of CNN and CNBC referring it the same name.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Check the CDC recommendations. There are many other professions outside of medical, teachers and first responders in 1B and 1C. FL has chosen to ignore those recommendation, but that’s the whole point of priority, the people with more potential exposure due to having public facing jobs go before the people working from home or working from an office that’s fairly isolated or not working at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The CDC list has all of those professions in 1C. I don’t know any state that is following that yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which variant is the worst of COVID? the original "china one", the 'Uk" one, or the "Brazilian" one. Why is one racist but the others are not?

Answer? the source of source of the comments. Lets remember a simple google search shows thousands of CNN and CNBC referring it the same name.
If you can’t see the difference between calling Covid the Kung flu and naming the geographic area where a variant first emerged than I can’t help you.

correcaminos

Um we're not talking variants at all. Still calling it the China virus has so many racist overtones I do not know where to begin. Do not assume I watch any mainstream news either. Anyone who calls it the China Virus, China Flu, or Kung Flu to this day is racist. We need to stop defending it no matter who says it. Period.

The CDC list has all of those professions in 1C. I don’t know any state that is following that yet.
Mine is not. Said as someone in a state in 1D and had to secure a no-waste dose for my spouse who would be in that group (letter from work and everything). My husband went in daily as an essential like many, and they got shafted.

Edit: Indiana also is not https://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/...covid-19-vaccines-heres-what-you-need-to-know

Last edited:

tpac24

If you can’t see the difference between calling Covid the Kung flu and naming the geographic area where a variant first emerged than I can’t help you.
Actually those of us who still see the need for humor found it funny and it didn't mean I was going to burn down my Chinese neighbors house because I giggled when I first hear it. Also we were told by the MSM and Pelsoi that calling it the China virus was racist and we were all racist if we called it that but not surprised by the double standards of today. The thing is the UK or Brazil is of no real threat to us so that is why it's Ok to label the new variants by geographical region . So many of our current politicians are compromised by the CCP on both sides of the aisle that I am sure they will continue to run amuck for at least the next for years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually those of us who still see the need for humor found it funny and it didn't mean I was going to burn down my Chinese neighbors house because I giggled when I first hear it. Also we were told by the MSM and Pelsoi that calling it the China virus was racist and we were all racist if we called it that but not surprised by the double standards of today. The thing is the UK or Brazil is of no real threat to us so that is why it's Ok to label the new variants by geographical region . So many of our current politicians are compromised by the CCP on both sides of the aisle that I am sure they will continue to run amuck for at least the next for years.
You do you. If you think it’s funny that’s your right. That doesn’t change the fact that it’s racist.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah is unlikely there will any more surges after pandemic ends in USA as many people are vaccinated like another winter surge by end of 2021 so they need booster shots?

DisneyDebRob

I don’t need pelosi or anyone to let me know what’s racist or not. I know racism when I hear it and if anyone relies on someone else to let you know what’s racist then people have more problems then I thought.

GimpYancIent

You do you. If you think it’s funny that’s your right. That doesn’t change the fact that it’s racist.
Fact - In dealing with diseases plays on words are not funny. Fact - COVID19 is no joke. Fact - COVID 19 originated in the Wuhan province of China, hence, it is NOT racist to refer to it (specifically) as the Chinese Virus. I agree the use of slang verbiage to take jabs at any country is not appropriate nor helpful specially when so many are suffering. The facts are still what they are as far as point of origin, liability and responsibility. I would very much like to see China tried before the International Court in De Hague. China owes reparations internationally. One international entertainment conglomerate alone (Disney) has suffered tremendous losses on many levels. The losses endured by so many businesses and peoples globally bogles the mind. Not just a U.S. issue and not racist.

hopemax

Actually, the Epi/Virology people don't like that lay people are calling the variants by their location names either. You'll notice when professionals refer to them among each other, they usually say B.1.1.7, B.1.351, or P.1. But they understand that system of numbers and letters can be confusing and unless they come up with a better system, lay people will resort to using the location names. This already has been a topic of discussion at WHO and they are working on something better. This pandemic has revealed the need for something usable by more than just, as one person said, "phylogenetics geeks."

But as pointed out, there is a difference between referring to something for convenience vs the racist, accusatory usage.

I for one, would have no problem converting to using the existing standard nomenclature, to avoid all of this nonsense that will derail the thread this morning. Everyone here should be smart enough to handle adapting to those three names, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom