Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Not to mention under historical norms it would have not been called the China Virus, it didn’t appear in all of China and virus is far too broad a term, it was found in Wuhan and would have likely been called the Wuhan Coronavirus and the disease WARS (Wuhan Acute Respiratory Syndrome.) As for “Kung Flu” that’s just a horrible pun and also incorrect from a epidemiology approach, the Flu is a respiratory disease caused by the Influenza Virus, not a coronavirus.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fact - In dealing with diseases plays on words are not funny. Fact - COVID19 is no joke. Fact - COVID 19 originated in the Wuhan province of China, hence, it is NOT racist to refer to it (specifically) as the Chinese Virus. I agree the use of slang verbiage to take jabs at any country is not appropriate nor helpful specially when so many are suffering. The facts are still what they are as far as point of origin, liability and responsibility. I would very much like to see China tried before the International Court in De Hague. China owes reparations internationally. One international entertainment conglomerate alone (Disney) has suffered tremendous losses on many levels. The losses endured by so many businesses and peoples globally bogles the mind. Not just a U.S. issue and not racist.
Nobody is arguing that Covid originated in China. That’s not the part that is racist. The original post questioned why calling the variants UK variant or S. African variant wasn’t considered racist but Trump’s rhetoric on China was...you answered that question, it was the slang verbiage and the tone used that was overtly racist. Easy answer.

correcaminos

Fact - In dealing with diseases plays on words are not funny. Fact - COVID19 is no joke. Fact - COVID 19 originated in the Wuhan province of China, hence, it is NOT racist to refer to it (specifically) as the Chinese Virus. I agree the use of slang verbiage to take jabs at any country is not appropriate nor helpful specially when so many are suffering. The facts are still what they are as far as point of origin, liability and responsibility. I would very much like to see China tried before the International Court in De Hague. China owes reparations internationally. One international entertainment conglomerate alone (Disney) has suffered tremendous losses on many levels. The losses endured by so many businesses and peoples globally bogles the mind. Not just a U.S. issue and not racist.
China owes reparations? Do we owe for the flu of 1918?

This post is exactly the issue at hand and why many have pushed to not call it by a region. While we think we know an origin also, history may prove us wrong. There are official names to use. To lay blame causes so many issues.

By the way, if a person who it affects calls something racist, I listen. My Chinese and Asian friends and acquaintances call it racist. Brought on racist actions towards Asians in schools and communities. Therefore it is racist. Stop defending microaggressions.

Touchdown

China owes reparations? Do we owe for the flu of 1918?

This post is exactly the issue at hand and why many have pushed to not call it by a region. While we think we know an origin also, history may prove us wrong. There are official names to use. To lay blame causes so many issues.

By the way, if a person who it affects calls something racist, I listen. My Chinese and Asian friends and acquaintances call it racist. Brought on racist actions towards Asians in schools and communities. Therefore it is racist. Stop defending microaggressions.
There is a good faith argument to be had about how China tried to hide this outbreak from the world and suppressed scientists who tried to alert society and what the world should do about it; after we are done with this pandemic. That said reparations are not going to happen. The difference between 1918 and 2019 is we know a heck of a lot more about viruses and how to prevent plagues then we did back then and we could have potentially contained this illness if China was more forthcoming. Again, there will need to be discussions about what to do about it when this pandemic is over.

Don’t worry, the world is already getting ready for this. President Biden is set to meet next week with the leaders of India, Japan, and Australia; what exactly do you think is going to be discussed? China has already expressed outrage that those 4 are meeting at all.

Rich Brownn

We can only hope that when kids read about coronavirus in history books in 20 years that they say "wow thats so dumb/awful/bad, why would people do that?!?" the way many of us said that about other events from history.
Well, considering much of the protests are exactly the same as the ones during the 1918 pandemic, I wouldn't hold out much hope. :/

correcaminos

There is a good faith argument to be had about how China tried to hide this outbreak from the world and suppressed scientists who tried to alert society and what the world should do about it; after we are done with this pandemic. That said reparations are not going to happen. The difference between 1918 and 2019 is we know a heck of a lot more about viruses and how to prevent plagues then we did back then and we could have potentially contained this illness if China was more forthcoming. Again, there will need to be discussions about what to do about it when this pandemic is over.

Don’t worry, the world is already getting ready for this. President Biden is set to meet next week with the leaders of India, Japan, and Australia; what exactly do you think is going to be discussed? China has already expressed outrage that those 4 are meeting at all.
If it is true then yes, make global changes. However I still never assume guilt unless there is proof. Also where is the actual guilt if true. Does it lie on people or governments. Let's be real biases are already laying guilt before facts are known. I picked the flu of 1918 as it started here when others keep calling it the Spanish flu to prove a point. We could use H1N1 or the like.

DC0703

What about the rest of us that work every day out in contact with everybody but don't have a status job? Are electricians not important? Or refrigeration? Etc see where im going? Or a mcdonalds worker even? Theres this thought process on this board that we can all work from home except nurses,teachers and first responders. Theres legitimately 100s of other occupuations that come into contact with people on a daily basis.

In for everyone getting vacinated....trying to box me into a corner saying teachers shouldnt be is silly...but to each there own.
The concept of "essential workers" was originally intended to specify which workers have jobs that are public-facing and can't be amended to a work-from-home set-up. Unfortunately, every state has defined these differently, and I'm sure politics got involved. But realistically, a teacher and a person who works in the trades (electricians, construction, plumbing, etc) should have been in the essential worker vaccine category.

DC0703

Which variant is the worst of COVID? the original "china one", the 'Uk" one, or the "Brazilian" one. Why is one racist but the others are not?

Answer? the source of source of the comments. Lets remember a simple google search shows thousands of CNN and CNBC referring it the same name.
The difference here, as I'm sure you are aware, is intent.

When people say the "U.K. variant", they are simply describing where that mutation sprung up. There is no indictment of the U.K. for causing the mutation. It is simply used to differentiate between the different variants, since the formal names are complicated to remember.

"China virus" was coined by one man, a man with a long reputation for slinging derogatory insults, and is almost always used with a mocking tone and with the goal of shifting any blame from his obvious failure to do his job in protecting our country from the virus (both before and after its arrival).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That is not true.

#USA
State
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
Population

1New Jersey830,84823,854599,623207,37193,5412,68611,130,7651,253,1558,882,190[view by county] [1] [projections]
2New York1,768,85549,021 867,946851,88890,9272,52040,764,1172,095,45819,453,561[view by county] [1] [2] [3] [projections]
3Rhode Island130,5022,5678,008119,927123,1892,4233,205,2523,025,6471,059,361[1] [2] [projections]
4Massachusetts598,85916,580556,42125,85886,8862,40617,229,7882,499,7876,892,503[1] [projections]
5Mississippi299,8876,883283,9539,051100,7632,3132,522,676847,6312,976,149[1] [2] [3] [projections]
6Arizona831,83216,519777,06838,245114,2832,2694,355,644598,4087,278,717[1] [projections]
7Connecticut290,5777,765251,66831,14481,5022,1787,114,8231,995,5823,565,287[1] [2] [projections]
8South Dakota114,3471,907110,2772,163129,2552,156431,342487,580884,659[1] [projections]
9Louisiana436,4829,861420,4596,16293,8912,1216,206,0451,334,9804,648,794[view by county] [1] [projections]
10Alabama502,71110,299303,746188,666102,5272,1002,465,517502,8404,903,185

I'm using the same source as the person I'm responding to so that we can agree on the veracity of the information.

The NYT polls every county for deaths and doesn't rely on state self-reporting, which can lag behind by two weeks.

Anyone following this thread from last year knows that the NYT had pretty accurate daily death counts compared to FL's two week lag.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
all but Texas should be compared. Texas has a special issues, the US Mexican border.
Different regions of the country took their turns being the hottest of hot spots, and not all of them were on the Mexican border.

What accounted for the surge in Wisconsin and Minnesota and North Dakota? Canadians crossing the border?

Touchdown

I'm using the same source as the person I'm responding to so that we can agree on the veracity of the information.

The NYT polls every county for deaths and doesn't rely on state self-reporting, which can lag behind by two weeks.

Anyone following this thread from last year knows that the NYT had pretty accurate daily death counts compared to FL's two week lag.
1615654586492.jpeg

Lilofan

Different regions of the country took their turns being the hottest of hot spots, and not all of them were on the Mexican border.

What accounted for the surge in Wisconsin and Minnesota and North Dakota? Canadians crossing the border?
In regards to North Dakota, it is the lax attitude of big group gatherings and the huge motorcycle event in Sturgis SD with thousands not wearing masks and then the bike riders went back home to their respective states and the infection rates soared. These are just some examples .

seascape

We agree on the NY Times being a good source. I also believe we believe the testing rates are not the best way to compare states.

We disagree a bit on if the NY Times cases per 100,000 is the best way to compare states. I contend it has to be because there is no consistent testing in different states. Hospitalization doesn't work unless you are only going to look at severe cases but that also depends on preexisting conditions. Deaths are also a lagging number and because states have populations with different ages and conditions it also has problems. Maybe using the death rate against the total numbers of Covid19 cases can show how well the medical system in each state handled the pandemic but that too has problems. Honestly I expect Florida to have many more deaths than NY or NJ because of their average age being higher but that has not been the case.

There are so many issues to be addressed when the pandemic is over. I hope we can agree on that but we must also ignore the blame game. There is too much blame on all sides. We need to make sure in the future we have enough PPP, ventilators and medical supplies. We also need to take what we learned from Operation Warp Speed and improve on it. We had the vaccine in January, long before our first death. We need to find a way to approve future vaccines and distribute them before we ever have 500,000 dead.

Almost forgot. Texas is the only state that is ground zero for the illegal immigration, so far 117,000 since October 1. With a 6% positivity rate that is over 1200 a month but the vast major of it is actually since January 20.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Depends on the joke and who is telling it but yes jokingly calling a virus that originated in China the Kung Flu is good for a giggle.
No, it's not. Ever.

Speaking of other things people say to lay blame ina kinda racist way

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Which variant is the worst of COVID? the original "china one", the 'Uk" one, or the "Brazilian" one. Why is one racist but the others are not?

Answer? the source of source of the comments. Lets remember a simple google search shows thousands of CNN and CNBC referring it the same name.

Referring to viruses and variants by where they were first discovered is a bad idea all around.

GimpYancIent

If it is true then yes, make global changes. However I still never assume guilt unless there is proof. Also where is the actual guilt if true. Does it lie on people or governments. Let's be real biases are already laying guilt before facts are known. I picked the flu of 1918 as it started here when others keep calling it the Spanish flu to prove a point. We could use H1N1 or the like.
Proof? Plenty I say take it to international court and present the facts, of which there are plenty! Get everything on record. The PRC has lied, misinformed, manipulated and facilitated the exportation of the illness The only similarity the current situation has to 1918 is the global spread of a disease. In 1918 the control capabilities and knowledge of today did not exist. Sadly Disney has substantial investments in China putting the business and many other international businesses in a difficult position, that said, the time for accountability is arriving. In todays language ultimately it comes down to $$$$$$$$ which in no way makes up for the loss of so many soles.

CatesMom

Actually those of us who still see the need for humor found it funny and it didn't mean I was going to burn down my Chinese neighbors house because I giggled when I first hear it. Also we were told by the MSM and Pelsoi that calling it the China virus was racist and we were all racist if we called it that but not surprised by the double standards of today. The thing is the UK or Brazil is of no real threat to us so that is why it's Ok to label the new variants by geographical region . So many of our current politicians are compromised by the CCP on both sides of the aisle that I am sure they will continue to run amuck for at least the next for years.
The terms UK variant, Brazilian variant, and South African variant are non-qualitative terms used to differentiate specific viral mutations with heightened transmissibility concerns based on the country in which each was first identified. They are not generally understood to cast blame or disparage the named country.
The difference here, as I'm sure you are aware, is intent.

When people say the "U.K. variant", they are simply describing where that mutation sprung up. There is no indictment of the U.K. for causing the mutation. It is simply used to differentiate between the different variants, since the formal names are complicated to remember.

"China virus" was coined by one man, a man with a long reputation for slinging derogatory insults, and is almost always used with a mocking tone and with the goal of shifting any blame from his obvious failure to do his job in protecting our country from the virus (both before and after its arrival).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom