Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Interesting operational change which I just saw on a live stream, they are now putting multiple parties together on Smugglers Run. Any idea how long they have been doing that?
Was it 6 positions or 4? In February, 4 people were allowed per pod, if it was 2 groups of 2, you had 2 in the driver position and 2 engineers behind plexiglass.

Disney Experience

In general or in regards to SARS-CoV-2? In general, it seems like it can go either way. For HPV it appears the natural response is pretty weak, while the vaccine generates a consistent strong response. While with the Mumps it’s the opposite. Natural immunity lasts longer, while vaccinated people need to get titres checked and may need a booster.

It all comes down to how well your body’s B and T cells react when exposed to the virus. My non-scientific explanation is the blind-folded person and the elephant scenario. Natural immunity the body learns to fight based on what it sees. So if it recognizes a bit of a virus, but then that bit mutates, will it still recognize the virus? Like if a blindfolded person is exposed to the trunk of an elephant and then is presented with the tail, would they recognize both bits as the same elephant? While the vaccines expose the body to the whole spike protein. Or the whole elephant. So if a small bit changes, it should still hopefully say, that’s still an elephant whether I see a trunk, a tail or a leg. So I know what to do.
In your analogy, would it not be the other way around? The whole virus is the whole elephant. The spike is the trunk. If something mutates enough outside of the trunk that would only effect those whose system chose that part to recognize it. If it mutates in the trunk, it may impact the one who was exposed to whole elephant if that trunk part is part of the signature it chose, but it is more likely to impact the one that is only using the trunk.

In real world the spike is critical to entry into the cell so mutations there have to walk a fine line between defeating the vaccine or getting better entry into cell vs losing all functionality (i.e. cell entry). I am ignorant of whether the immune system is more likely to select one part or many parts of the virus for recognition of the alien nature of the virus.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting operational change which I just saw on a live stream, they are now putting multiple parties together on Smugglers Run. Any idea how long they have been doing that?
Was it 6 positions or 4? In February, 4 people were allowed per pod, if it was 2 groups of 2, you had 2 in the driver position and 2 engineers behind plexiglass.
Getting back to 6 is optimal. You can ride without all 6 but it takes away from the experience to have empty seats. Not to mention reduces capacity. You aren’t in the room very long and you are further apart than seating on an airplane so as long as everyone is masked seems pretty safe.

Disney Experience

Getting back to 6 is optimal. You can ride without all 6 but it takes away from the experience to have empty seats. Not to mention reduces capacity. You aren’t in the room very long and you are further apart than seating on an airplane so as long as everyone is masked seems pretty safe.
I may have gotten vaccinated real early, but I have yet won the Smuggler's run lottery when visiting Disney Studios. The good news is that it leaves going on that ride as something to look forward to. For those who have gone to it before covid and after covid-19 changes, do the changes impact the pleasure of going on the ride in your opinion.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I may have gotten vaccinated real early, but I have yet won the Smuggler's run lottery when visiting Disney Studios. The good news is that it leaves it as something to look forward to. For those who have gone to it before covid and after covid-19 changes, do the changes impact the pleasure of going on the ride in your opinion.
I rode at DLR August 2019 before the apocalypse was upon us. I can’t comment on the covid changes but the ride works best when all 6 seats are filled since each group has different tasks to perform. We had 4 people and rode with 2 strangers.

willtravel

My Dad got his 2nd shot today!

Here in CO, we are celebrating the 1 year anniversary of pandemic by going back into lockdown. Grocery stores are bare, every official organization is telling everyone not to leave their house for the next 3 days.

Not for COVID, but for the snow storm of the century.

Most vaccination sites are canceled for the weekend. However, the Gov has said in the past that our capacity for giving shots is above our shot capacity, so everyone expects that we'll be back on track after next week. We had a shot shipment arrive on Thursday, and the next is scheduled for Monday, so no delay expected in shipments.

Anyone want to make predictions of what we'll actually get? For my city, the low is 12", the expected is 21" and the high is 35". Welcome to March in CO! The most we've experienced is 16-18", so I hope we beat that, otherwise it will feel like a bust.
May I ask what city you are in? My husband, who is from CO was wondering. His sons still live there. One son was to go to Hawaii for spring break with family but daughter just tested positive for Covid. I guess the airport is shut down?

Touchdown

I may have gotten vaccinated real early, but I have yet won the Smuggler's run lottery when visiting Disney Studios. The good news is that it leaves it as something to look forward to. For those who have gone to it before covid and after covid-19 changes, do the changes impact the pleasure of going on the ride in your opinion.
50% vs 5% chance (groups of 1 almost always get the engineer role even if not in the SRL) wining the driver role increased my enjoyment emmesely but getting engineer and plexiglass is a huge let down.

hopemax

May I ask what city you are in? My husband, who is from CO was wondering. His sons still live there. One son was to go to Hawaii for spring break with family but daughter just tested positive for Covid. I guess the airport is shut down?
I am in Arvada. :)

Denver International Airport is still operating, although there are some flight cancelations for Sat/Sun. Flights should still manage through tomorrow mid-day-ish, when it's just medium snow. But after that, it's expected to be blizzard conditions. Heavy snow + wind.

Incomudro

Here’s how I look at that. I have spent the last year pretty happy that my job is classified as non-essential. For people with essential jobs they have mostly been going into work physically since the start and facing way more potential exposure than me.
I don't know if I share that sentiment.
I'd rather take the health risk of going to a job that exists, and keeps a roof over my family's head, than enjoy for want of a better word the safety of staying home while losing everything I've worked for.
I'll make an exception of course for those people who could work at home and retain their jobs.

Heppenheimer

I have linked studies before that showed empirical evidence (Which may not be what you are asking for). For the two shot vaccines they have showed that one shot of the vaccine given to someone who had covid in the past(and still had antibodies) increased the immune response in that individual 140 fold. That response was equivalent to those who never had covid and got both shots.

Therefore having 140 fold increase may provide a longer duration of "immunity" (The exact biological mechanism may be what you are asking for and I do not have that in this message). There can always be a question on which part of the immune response is critical for long term immunity (B cells, cd4 or cd8 t cells etc)

If I remember way back to medical school, and I could be getting this wrong... vaccines generally don't provoke nearly as strong of the innate, non-specific immune response as natural infection causes, and the way the immune response is regulated, this allows a much more rebust recruitment of highly specific memory T and B cells. The population of these cells decline over time via first order kinetics, so the higher the inital recruitment, the longer immunity lasts.

My interpretation via memory of that concept might be confused, however.

Touchdown

I'd rather take the health risk of going to a job that exists, and keeps a roof over my family's head, than enjoy for want of a better word the safety of staying home while losing everything I've worked for.
I'll make an exception of course for those people who could work at home and retain their jobs.
Stop with the unemployed bit. GoofGoof was clearly talking about working a job he didn’t lose from home. I think we can all agree being unemployed is worse.

Incomudro

Stop with the unemployed bit. GoofGoof was clearly talking about working a job he didn’t lose from home. I think we can all agree being unemployed is worse.
And I was clearly talking about people that aren't in that situation.
Did you miss the part where I made an exception for those who can work at home?
And why should I stop with the unemployed bit about anyone anyway?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Vaccine distribution plans aren’t about “fair” it’s about getting the doses to the people that will make the most impact first. That’s why despite the backlash smokers got priority. For workers, if a person is unemployed then they are a lower priority than someone going into work every day, especially to an essential job. It’s not equitable of fair, but it’s the best way to use the limited supply we have. Everyone will get a dose eventually but once you take care of the people with the highest risk for negative outcome you turn to the people with most risk of exposure. Best bang for your buck. Last on the list are healthy people under 65 working from home and/or not working. My wife hasn’t worked a day in over a year now. She’s at the bottom of the priority list. She will get a vaccine eventually but luckily she doesn’t need to interact a great deal with the general public so she’s naturally lower risk of getting infected. This has nothing to do with needing money to pay bills.

lazyboy97o

If it was an escaped bioweapon I hope the Chinese learn to have better bio safety controls for any future research whether for defense, offense, or civilian research.

It’s not just the Chinese, but everyone. There are all sort of experiments going on about how viruses could mutate and become horrible pandemics and they’ve almost all had problems. If this was something that escaped from research in China there is also a very good chance it was being done, or at least started, at the behest of the US.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Vaccine distribution plans aren’t about “fair” it’s about getting the doses to the people that will make the most impact first. That’s why despite the backlash smokers got priority. For workers, if a person is unemployed then they are a lower priority than someone going into work every day, especially to an essential job. It’s not equitable of fair, but it’s the best way to use the limited supply we have. Everyone will get a dose eventually but once you take care of the people with the highest risk for negative outcome you turn to the people with most risk of exposure. Best bang for your buck. Last on the list are healthy people under 65 working from home and/or not working. My wife hasn’t worked a day in over a year now. She’s at the bottom of the priority list. She will get a vaccine eventually but luckily she doesn’t need to interact a great deal with the general public so she’s naturally lower risk of getting infected. This has nothing to do with needing money to pay bills.
Does means they need boosters shots by next winter (2021-2022) so there won't be anymore winter surges because all millions of people got vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom