Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aren't ALL of the vaccines less than 100% effective, meaning some may still get the disease even though they have received the vaccine? So WDW and life in general will never be 100% safe, n'est pas?
All 3 vaccines were 100% effective at preventing death and hospitalization after a period of time. They are on average around 90% effective at preventing any illness. If the level of community spread gets low enough and the number of people vaccinated or naturally infected is high enough there‘s a Good chance the virus has nowhere to spread and drops to a very low number. If that occurs we can always ramp up testing and tracing if there’s an outbreak.

ABQ

This happened to here, with vaccinated residents.

Of course monitoring to see how severe it is for them, if severe at all... but an important reminder that even if vaccinated you can still get it, especially if it hasn’t even been 2-3 weeks post vaccination.
Seems a bit of unfortunate timing and possibly, only speculating, not stringent enough protocols in place for a long term care facility. They don't mention in that article if any residents completed a second dose and only that most had their first dose less than 4 weeks ago, so the possibility of an outbreak among 200+ elderly in a convalescent setting is still unfortunately high. working in the same industry, this is terrible to see, going to be a long road for the LTC industry before many protocols relax.

DisneyCane

Despite our disagreements on various issues in the past related to Covid, you come across as an intelligent and rational person who has digested the information out there and drawn conclusions. We disagreed on many of the conclusions ;), but the point is you were not just blindly following talking heads or political pundits. Unfortunately that isn’t true of everyone. I think it would go a long way towards reaching herd immunity if Donald Trump came out publicly and told his supporters they should get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible and he confirm that he was vaccinated as well. We have no idea how many people are vaccine hesitant or resistant due to politics (polling suggests it’s an issue) but even if only a single person changes their mind due to his actions that‘s still one person closer to herd immunity. If he loves this country like he says he does he should do it for the good of the country. I was no fan of his during his term as President but I’d give him a lot of props for being the bigger man and doing something to help the country now.
I can say the same about you. We definitely have disagreements but when I disagree with you I at least feel like I'm having a rational debate. I think we have a ton of common ground when it comes to vaccine rollout!

I agree 100% about Trump which is why I wondered earlier if they asked him to be part of that PSA. My guess would be no because they (including GWB) would like to erase him from history, but they should have.

If he wasn't banned from Twitter it is likely he'd be touting the vaccines and taking credit for them which would help with some portion of his followers.

TrainsOfDisney

I agree 100% about Trump which is why I wondered earlier if they asked him to be part of that PSA. My guess would be no because they (including GWB) would like to erase him from history, but they should have.
It was President Trump who decided not to attend the inauguration of President Biden.

He doesn’t seem to want to appear next to other Presidents. Clearly the ad did not pick one political side, so it would seem odd that President Trump would not be invited to make a statement, but obviously we don’t know the facts.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Aren't ALL of the vaccines less than 100% effective, meaning some may still get the disease even though they have received the vaccine? So WDW and life in general will never be 100% safe, n'est pas?

There were no deaths amongst vaccinated people in the trials, but there is always a small chance that a vaccinated person could die from the virus, especially if they have other serious medical conditions. Life was not 100% safe before the pandemic, it still won't be after.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I can say the same about you. We definitely have disagreements but when I disagree with you I at least feel like I'm having a rational debate. I think we have a ton of common ground when it comes to vaccine rollout!

If he wasn't banned from Twitter it is likely he'd be touting the vaccines and taking credit for them which would help with some portion of his followers.
To be fair given the way he left, either they asked and he declined or they didn't want to bother asking in the first place. He chose not to promote the vaccine publicly already being all sneaky and chose not to stand with other former presidents at the inauguration.

Being banned from Twitter has nothing to do with this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think they filmed that at the same time as the inauguration but it would have been possible to “photoshop” him in because I don’t think Carter was there live at the time of the inauguration either. I think it was a missed opportunity for unity but it’s impossible to know if he was asked to participate and declined or if they just excluded him.

Incomudro

Not sure I agree with that. My job is 100% not essential to like anyone. Not at all. I work as an IT person and weirdly combo sales person for a luxury item. I'm not at all essential. My IT husband working for a law firm that does deal with legalities that cannot be ignored was considered by many definitions globally to be essential. That communication person keeping all the WFH people working would be more essential. Those getting you your electricity and food again essential.

I have no issues being non essential. None. People who really are not essential need to own it. Others thinking they are essential when not really need to realize it too.

We are not doomed.
As of Feb. 15, 82 per cent of residents at the facility had received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, or 220 of its 268 residents
Not all residents were vaccinated or considered fully vaccinated.

But for most people, their jobs are essential to them.
Mortgages, rents, car payments, school, food, clothing...

hopemax

My Dad got his 2nd shot today!

Here in CO, we are celebrating the 1 year anniversary of pandemic by going back into lockdown. Grocery stores are bare, every official organization is telling everyone not to leave their house for the next 3 days.

Not for COVID, but for the snow storm of the century.

Most vaccination sites are canceled for the weekend. However, the Gov has said in the past that our capacity for giving shots is above our shot capacity, so everyone expects that we'll be back on track after next week. We had a shot shipment arrive on Thursday, and the next is scheduled for Monday, so no delay expected in shipments.

Anyone want to make predictions of what we'll actually get? For my city, the low is 12", the expected is 21" and the high is 35". Welcome to March in CO! The most we've experienced is 16-18", so I hope we beat that, otherwise it will feel like a bust.

Incomudro

Life will be close enough to safe to make the risk of covid fatalties something that should be of negligible concern.
If some people are still concerned, they can always go out wearing n95 masks after being vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Here in CO, we are celebrating the 1 year anniversary of pandemic by going back into lockdown. Grocery stores are bare, every official organization is telling everyone not to leave their house for the next 3 days.

Most vaccination sites are canceled for the weekend. However, the Gov has said in the past that our capacity for giving shots is above our shot capacity, so everyone expects that we'll be back on track after next week. We had a shot shipment arrive on Thursday, and the next is scheduled for Monday, so no delay expected in shipments.

Anyone want to make predictions of what we'll actually get? For my city, the low is 12", the expected is 21" and the high is 35". Welcome to March in CO! The most we've experienced is 16-18", so I hope we beat that, otherwise it will feel like a bust.
It hit 70 here in PA yesterday. I went to Rite Aid in shorts and a t-shirt to get my vaccine. We still have snow on the ground from the last storm 3 weeks ago when my original appointment got cancelled. The only thing good about a March snowstorm is it doesn’t last too long as temps go back up. Good luck🤞

Incomudro

My job is essential to me for income too, but I have no problem with nurses or firefighters getting the vaccine before me. This isn’t about punishing the people who aren’t classified as essential.

Yes, I understand, and I'm in agreement with you.
My 52 year old wife - a DON at an assisted living facility has been vaccinated, as have her mid 70 year old parents.
At 57, retired (I'm barely around people outside of parks) and no underlying conditions, I've got a while to wait.
That makes sense to me.
I'm playing devil's advocate for those insulted by the term "non essential."

DisneyCane

Life will be close enough to safe to make the risk of covid fatalties something that should be of negligible concern.
If some people are still concerned, they can always go out wearing n95 masks after being vaccinated.
A week or so ago, I ran the numbers to show that once somebody is vaccinated (based on how effective vaccines are in preventing severe illness and death), the risk of dying from COVID in the following year will literally be completely inconsequential to the risk of dying from any cause over the following year and that is based on the level of community spread over the past year. It will be even more inconsequential when the vaccines also reduce community spread significantly.

ABQ

Yeah, being a neighbor to your south, I noticed a hiccup in CO case counts recently, which coupled with a snow storm is disappointing. Crossing my fingers the meteorologists are just looking for clicks, but we never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom