Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Novavax Inc’s COVID-19 vaccine was 96% effective in preventing cases caused by the original version of the coronavirus in a late-stage trial conducted in the United Kingdom, the company said on Thursday, moving it a step closer to regulatory approval.

There were no cases of severe illness or deaths among those who got the vaccine, the company said, in a sign that it could stop the worse effects of new variants that have cropped up.

The vaccine was 86% effective in protecting against the more contagious virus variant first discovered and now prevalent in the United Kingdom, for a combined 90% effectiveness rate overall based on data from infections of both versions of the coronavirus."

"In a smaller trial conducted in South Africa - where volunteers were primarily exposed to another newer, more contagious variant widely circulating there and spreading around the world - the Novavax vaccine was 55% effective, based on people without HIV, but still fully prevented severe illness.

Novavax Chief Medical Officer Filip Dubovsky said the performance in South Africa suggests there may still be a case for using it in areas where the South African variant is dominant."

"Novavax is also developing new formulations of its vaccine to protect against emerging variants and plans to initiate clinical testing of these shots in the second quarter of this year.

Results from the final analysis of the UK trial were largely in line with interim data released in January.

The company expects to use the data to submit for regulatory authorization in various countries. It is not clear when it will seek U.S. authorization or if regulators will require it to complete an ongoing trial in the United States.

Novavax expects data from a 30,000-person trial in the United States and Mexico by early April.

Dubovsky said that Novavax is still planning to file for authorization from UK regulators early in the second quarter of 2021."

tpac24

As for the political differences in the willingness to be vaccinated, a good part of it is likely that a much higher percentage of Democrats can be said to be afraid of the virus and have been freaked out about it since a year ago where a higher percentage of Republicans would have been willing to just go on with life and take the risk of getting COVID the whole time. I think it's less about making a political statement or conspiracy theories and more about how important it is to an individual to minimize the chance of getting COVID.

This Republican Trump supporter isn't particularly fearful of COVID (as evidenced by my posts in this thread for the past year) but is also a germaphobe who hates being sick even with a cold. I'm getting vaccinated because it makes me far less likely to have any symptoms from an illness. The particular illness doesn't really matter. It's the same reason I get the flu shot every year. I'd take a vaccine for any common virus that one is available for.
I am personally getting it because I feel it will be mandatory to function in society and I don't like idea that I wouldn't be able to. I am not particularly worried about corvid because the statics of a full recovery are on my side. My not wanting to get has nothing to do with whatever silly conspiracies are out there but more of a fear of needles and I prefer to take a more holistic approach to my health when I can. I will say I would not be getting it if the J& J was the only available option because it is not a clean vaccine in terms of fetal cells.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Based on the desperate and often incoherent complaints about Biden’s speech from the people who don’t like him and are going to be opposed to anything he says, I’d say he probably hit a home run. It’s obvious by all of the triggered responses with desperate attempts to spin it negative that he hit a nerve.

We just got a formal declaration that all adults will be eligible for the vaccine no later than May 1. I told everyone this a few weeks back:cool:, but it‘s much different to hear it from the leader of the free world who put it on the record formally vs a goofy guy on a Disney fan board. There’s simply no way to make a sincere attempt to spin this negative. Having a goal of a return to a level of normalcy for July 4th is a pretty inspirational message in my opinion. You can agree of disagree, but regardless of that, we have 3 highly effective vaccines, we have a commitment from manufacturers to get the vaccines to us at a pretty tremendous pace, we figured out the logistics of getting those shots in people‘s arms quickly to match the delivery pace and now we can say unequivocally that the light is visible at the end of the tunnel. We have a less fuzzy picture of when things can start to return to normal. This is all great news, something we should all celebrate and be happy about together. It’s sad to see people rooting against success or trying to sour the picture just for political gain. Do people really want to see Biden fail and the pandemic rage on just so he looks bad? That’s pathetic and probably bordering on mental illness. I feel sorry for anyone who can’t see the positive in all of this. It has potential disaster out consequences if enough people resist the vaccine because of it.

tpac24

Based on the desperate and often incoherent complaints about Biden’s speech from the people who don’t like him and are going to be opposed to anything he says, I’d say he probably hit a home run. It’s obvious by all of the triggered responses with desperate attempts to spin it negative that he hit a nerve.

We just got a formal declaration that all adults will be eligible for the vaccine no later than May 1. I told everyone this a few weeks back:cool:, but it‘s much different to hear it from the leader of the free world who put it on the record formally vs a goofy guy on a Disney fan board. There’s simply no way to make a sincere attempt to spin this negative. Having a goal of a return to a level of normalcy for July 4th is a pretty inspirational message in my opinion. You can agree of disagree, but regardless of that, we have 3 highly effective vaccines, we have a commitment from manufacturers to get the vaccines to us at a pretty tremendous pace, we figured out the logistics of getting those shots in people‘s arms quickly to match the delivery pace and now we can say unequivocally that the light is visible at the end of the tunnel. We have a less fuzzy picture of when things can start to return to normal. This is all great news, something we should all celebrate and be happy about together. It’s sad to see people rooting against success or trying to sour the picture just for political gain. Do people really want to see Biden fail and the pandemic rage on just so he looks bad? That’s pathetic and probably bordering on mental illness. I feel sorry for anyone who can’t see the positive in all of this. It has potential disaster out consequences if enough people resist the vaccine because of it.
Yes he did a very nice job delivering Susan Rice's message for her. ;) Kind of like the same people some who post here wanting the former administration to fail.

Bill in Atlanta

My gut says not weeks away, but not the end of year either. By Oct 1 may be a safe bet, but possibly as early as sometime this Summer. I think they will focus on relaxing distancing first since it has such a big impact on operations and park capacity. The next few weeks with Spring Break ramping up they are hitting capacity limits and that’s leaving money on the table. I think they will be hesitant to remove distancing and masks at once.

I also think that Disney will heavily rely on the CDC guidelines for masks. If/when they relax them Disney will follow. Recently several studies have shown that the vaccines are not just effective at preventing symptoms but also effective at preventing even asymptomatic infection which means you can’t infect others. That’s a big piece of news if it holds up because masks are primarily required to prevent you from infecting someone else but based on the studies a vaccinated person no longer poses a threat. Once we hit the point where say 80% of adults are vaccinated do we really keep requiring 100% of people to wear masks just so the 20% left unvaccinated don’t infect each other? 80% of people would be wearing a mask for no reason. I think if cases and community spread are very low combined with a high number of people vaccinated we will see the mask rules relaxed.

On timing I don’t see it taking until 2022 to get there. By the end of June if all goes as planned on the vaccine rollout we should have every 12+ person in the US who wants a vaccine done. Barring crazy stuff with variants and assuming we get 70-80% of eligible people to get the jab I think most Covid restrictions could come off as early as some time this Summer. No guarantees on that and a lot has to go right to pull that off but it’s possible.
Summer would be great. Seems like the momentum is building in a positive direction 👍

Kevin_W

"Novavax Inc’s COVID-19 vaccine was 96% effective in preventing cases caused by the original version of the coronavirus in a late-stage trial conducted in the United Kingdom, the company said on Thursday, moving it a step closer to regulatory approval.

There were no cases of severe illness or deaths among those who got the vaccine, the company said, in a sign that it could stop the worse effects of new variants that have cropped up.

The vaccine was 86% effective in protecting against the more contagious virus variant first discovered and now prevalent in the United Kingdom, for a combined 90% effectiveness rate overall based on data from infections of both versions of the coronavirus."

"In a smaller trial conducted in South Africa - where volunteers were primarily exposed to another newer, more contagious variant widely circulating there and spreading around the world - the Novavax vaccine was 55% effective, based on people without HIV, but still fully prevented severe illness.

Novavax Chief Medical Officer Filip Dubovsky said the performance in South Africa suggests there may still be a case for using it in areas where the South African variant is dominant."

"Novavax is also developing new formulations of its vaccine to protect against emerging variants and plans to initiate clinical testing of these shots in the second quarter of this year.

Results from the final analysis of the UK trial were largely in line with interim data released in January.

The company expects to use the data to submit for regulatory authorization in various countries. It is not clear when it will seek U.S. authorization or if regulators will require it to complete an ongoing trial in the United States.

Novavax expects data from a 30,000-person trial in the United States and Mexico by early April.

Dubovsky said that Novavax is still planning to file for authorization from UK regulators early in the second quarter of 2021."

That is very good news. Thanks for sharing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As for the political differences in the willingness to be vaccinated, a good part of it is likely that a much higher percentage of Democrats can be said to be afraid of the virus and have been freaked out about it since a year ago where a higher percentage of Republicans would have been willing to just go on with life and take the risk of getting COVID the whole time. I think it's less about making a political statement or conspiracy theories and more about how important it is to an individual to minimize the chance of getting COVID.

This Republican Trump supporter isn't particularly fearful of COVID (as evidenced by my posts in this thread for the past year) but is also a germaphobe who hates being sick even with a cold. I'm getting vaccinated because it makes me far less likely to have any symptoms from an illness. The particular illness doesn't really matter. It's the same reason I get the flu shot every year. I'd take a vaccine for any common virus that one is available for.
Despite our disagreements on various issues in the past related to Covid, you come across as an intelligent and rational person who has digested the information out there and drawn conclusions. We disagreed on many of the conclusions ;), but the point is you were not just blindly following talking heads or political pundits. Unfortunately that isn’t true of everyone. I think it would go a long way towards reaching herd immunity if Donald Trump came out publicly and told his supporters they should get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible and he confirm that he was vaccinated as well. We have no idea how many people are vaccine hesitant or resistant due to politics (polling suggests it’s an issue) but even if only a single person changes their mind due to his actions that‘s still one person closer to herd immunity. If he loves this country like he says he does he should do it for the good of the country. I was no fan of his during his term as President but I’d give him a lot of props for being the bigger man and doing something to help the country now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes he did a very nice job delivering Susan Rice's message for her. ;) Kind of like the same people some who post here wanting the former administration to fail.
I could care less who came up with the message...it’s a good message and we should all be happy about it :) A good leader gathers the best minds under them and then actually listens to them. He learned that from Ronald Reagan.

matt9112

Covid19 fatigue is stupid. We are so close to this being over and based on the numbers too many people are letting their guard down. That has to be the excuse and that is just stupid.
I legitimately haven't changed how im doing things day to day...but than again i live in Florida so.

Tony the Tigger

It’s time for the CDC to acknowledge reality, vaccinated people do not spread Covid. Short of masking and distancing in public there shouldn’t be any restrictions on fully vaccinated people.
Well, as long as *you* say so.

Heppenheimer

Most of us wanted him to do the right things, but he just seemed incapable of that. I did not want him to be president (and I typically lean more Republican, or at least, what the Northeast branch of the party formerly represented), but I at least hoped that the dignity of the office and the responsibilities that come with it would grow on him. Didn't happen, and if anything, his bad instincts actually worsened.

Wanting him out of office (which thankfully happened) is not the same as wanting him to fail, because a president's failures go hand in hand with the country's. See: COVID-19....

matt9112

Still can’t believe that no essential workers are getting priority. People who spent the last year showing up for work every day to keep the lights on, keep us fed, transport us, etc... despite the personal risk and risk to their loved ones and they will just be waiting even longer as anyone who can get online and click a mouse fast enough will get the appointments first. Sad to see someone only interested in governing half the population :(

If your not high risk why? If you are high risk or simply old aka high risk your already getting priority. Your high risk loved ones will have also already had priority. Doing it based on ocupation and creates a duality of have and have nots with no science behind it. Employment shouldn't grant you special status in society. (How i feel about LEO etc as well) i appreciate respect and thank them all BUT they are human like the rest of us Americans like the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom