Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpac24

You mean getting the vaccine in private like a man-baby coward isn’t the way to go?
Maybe he decided for once to not be an attention ? I am sorry but keeping your health decisions private is not really a big deal and kind of normal. It is only a big deal now because it gives people one more thing to hate on the former president for.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Today's Covid19 breakdown from the NY Times has some good news for most of the US and some bad news for the States that joined Governor Cuomo's lead. Florida is down to 22 cases per 100,000 and now there are only 5 states with cases in the 20's. However, Delaware had a huge spike and now has 30 cases per 100,000, joining RI which increased from 30 to 31, NY which improved from 37 to 36 and leading the pack NJ which again increased from 38 to 39. Back to good news the number of states in single digits increased from 4 to 6 and California is now at 10.
Also in the NYT: New Jersey's death rate per population from COVID over the past week is *lower* than Florida's.

How does that factor in your estimation of public health policy?

And three weeks from now when FL has the Spring Break bump, will you be crowing about the numbers then?

As I've said many times in this thread over the past year, number of cases and positivity aren't helpful numbers if the population isn't randomly tested. E.g., if a state is only encouraging those with symptoms to be tested, then the rate will be high as opposed to people voluntarily going to get tested themselves whether they have symptoms or were exposed to someone known to have the virus. Keep an eye on hospitalizations and numbers of corpses.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also in the NYT: New Jersey's death rate per population from COVID over the past week is *lower* than Florida's.

And three weeks from now when FL has the Spring Break bump, will you be crowing about the numbers then?

As I've said many times in this thread over the past year, number of cases and positivity aren't helpful numbers if the population isn't randomly tested. E.g., if a state is only encouraging those with symptoms to be tested, then the rate will be high as opposed to people voluntarily going to get tested themselves whether they have symptoms or were exposed to someone known to have the virus. Keep an eye on hospitalizations and numbers of corpses.

This is very simple. Look at the forest, not the trees...which sway.
C0B1195C-981E-4BE1-8FD1-FA45C811F73F.png

DisneyDebRob

You need to find somebody that archived his Tweets. I don't remember the exact quotes but he was Tweeting about the vaccine when Pfizer got the EUA in between the election rants.

He certainly never encouraged people not to (which the current VP did).

The new administration can take credit for forcing states to prioritize teachers. It can take credit for the additional doses ordered. It can take credit for brokering the deal between J&J and Merck. He can take credit for however many shots per day are administered by the Federal sites (although those doses probably could be administered through other sites). However, none of those things led to the availability of any of the doses delivered to date. Biden's grand goal of 100 million shots in 100 days was met (in daily rate) by an outgoing administration that checked out on 11/4.

I had as much to do with the higher percentage of seniors being vaccinated since 1/20 as Biden has. That was going to happen if the Presidency had been vacated and there was nobody in office.

As for Fauci, I didn't take a shot at him in that post. I simply stated the fact that there are more people who won't get a vaccine because he vouches for it than people who will. I support getting vaccinated regardless of what Dr. Control Freak says about it but there are people who won't because he supports it.
Dr.Control Freak. There’s the shot. Thanks for not disappointing.

GimpYancIent

If you do that “deep dive”...what you’ll find is a lot of lauding the vaccines while taking credit for other things mixed in.

Not supporting taking it because others are not a concern.

Go ahead and check. You know how I know? Because the pattern has never changed since 1970. This is psychology 101...not honors edition.

Don’t feed them...they’ll just fling their feces back at you. The lack of basic wisdom displayed after 5 decades on the planet is shocking...and yet not.
I am not a fan of the current administration, but, talking about them that way is not right.

Touchdown

Maybe he decided for once to not be an attention *****? I am sorry but keeping your health decisions private is not really a big deal and kind of normal. It is only a big deal now because it gives people one more thing to hate on the former president for.
Not when you need to convince a skeptical public. I value privacy in my health but I publicly broadcast my vaccination every chance I get. I don’t have nearly the reach he does, again his supporters are the largest holdout, it would help convince a significant number of them to change their mind if he endorsed them publicly and urged his supporters to get one. But he won’t, and color me significantly surprised if he ever does.

DisneyCane

I don't know how it will turn out but death rate over the past seven days is not a valid statistic because of the reporting delays. The stat you are quoting is "reported deaths." FL has been below 100 deaths occurring per day for about a month now. No point in quoting the past week numbers because they will most certainly increase.

If there is a spring break bump, it will be seen mostly in other places since people will travel to FL for spring break and then back home. Cases may increase a bit in FL but they will be mostly in the under 30 population. With the 65+ (60+ starting Monday) being vaccinated several hundred thousand per week, increased case count in the young population won't add to significant deaths down the road.

Dr.Control Freak. There’s the shot. Thanks for not disappointing.
Glad I could give you what you wanted. It is a shot and I do think he is a control freak on a power trip. That doesn't mean he isn't an expert on epidemiology. The two are not mutually exlusive.

Heppenheimer

Once again, let's be clear what Operation Warp Speed did and didn't do.

What it did do: It provided a priori funding for multiple steps in the vaccination development process. This meant that the drug companies had guaranteed financing and could skip some of the usual administrative steps. Rather than needing to hawk the results of earlier stages of the trials to investors, and thus obtain the funding for the next step, it was guaranteed in advanced, so they could seamlessly jump from one stage to the next and even start mass manufacturing long before approval. Of note, 2 of the 3 vaccines currently marketed in the US received research funds from this program, but the first released, Pfizer-BIONTECH did not take any from the US , other than pre-purchasing doses at a much later date. The initial government funding for Pfizer-BIONTECH came from Germany in January of 2020, back when someone in particular was in complete denial of the tidal wave about to hit the world. Of the 6 proposed vaccinations from Operation Warp Speed, Merk's has been withdrawn from testing, Astra-Zeneca and Sanofi/GlaxoSmithKline may never be approved in the US (the latter may never make it anywhere else either).

What it did not do: Although Operation Warp Speed did hasten parts of the process, with vaccine development, the real rate limiting step isn't these intermediate financing stages, but reaching the clinical end-points of the trials. These have pre-defined criteria based on certain statistical efficacy and safety targets. To put it simply, you can't conclude this part of the trial until the placebo group accumulates a certain number of infections compared to the treatment group. This is the usual reason why vaccine development lasts for years... the accumulation of cases trickles in very slowly. We were able to reach the clinical end points of the current vaccines so quickly not because of Operation Warp Speed, but simply because the pandemic raged so out of control that the trials met their targets much faster than expected.

tpac24

Not when you need to convince a skeptical public. I value privacy in my health but I publicly broadcast my vaccination every chance I get. I don’t have nearly the reach he does, again his supporters are the largest holdout, it would help convince a significant number of them to change their mind if he endorsed them publicly and urged his supporters to get one. But he won’t, and color me significantly surprised if he ever does.
I think it is very insulting that you think his supporters wont get one or that they are anit vaxx! I know tons of Trump supporters/voters all who have gotten or plan to get them vaccine when available. Is there a small group of wackos sure but the stereotyping on this thread is insulting and just plain ignorant.

CaptainAmerica

I think it is very insulting that you think his supporters wont get one or that they are anit vaxx! I know tons of Trump supporters/voters all who have gotten or plan to get them vaccine when available. Is there a small group of wackos sure but the stereotyping on this thread is insulting and just plain ignorant.
The data is pretty clear on that though. 47% of Trump voters say they won't get the vax. It's the highest percentage of any group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom