Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

I think it is very insulting that you think his supporters wont get one or that they are anit vaxx! I know tons of Trump supporters/voters all who have gotten or plan to get them vaccine when available. Is there a small group of wackos sure but the stereotyping on this thread is insulting and just plain ignorant.
9EC55861-251A-4784-9F55-4BCC04615058.jpeg

Tell me again why I’m insulting. Also I didn’t call them anivaxxers, antivaxxers will never get it. I’m giving his supporters the benefit of the doubt they could be swayed, particularly by someone they trust.

ABQ

Once again, let's be clear what Operation Warp Speed did and didn't do.

What it did do: It provided a priori funding for multiple steps in the vaccination development process. This meant that the drug companies had guaranteed financing and could skip some of the usual administrative steps. Rather than needing to hawk the results of earlier stages of the trials to investors, and thus obtain the funding for the next step, it was guaranteed in advanced, so they could seamlessly jump from one stage to the next and even start mass manufacturing long before approval. Of note, 2 of the 3 vaccines currently marketed in the US received research funds from this program, but the first released, Pfizer-BIONTECH did not take any from the US , other than pre-purchasing doses at a much later date. The initial government funding for Pfizer-BIONTECH came from Germany in January of 2020, back when someone in particular was in complete denial of the tidal wave about to hit the world. Of the 6 proposed vaccinations from Operation Warp Speed, Merk's has been withdrawn from testing, Astra-Zeneca and Sanofi/GlaxoSmithKline may never be approved in the US (the latter may never make it anywhere else either).

What it did not do: Although Operation Warp Speed did hasten parts of the process, with vaccine development, the real rate limiting step isn't these intermediate financing stages, but reaching the clinical end-points of the trials. These have pre-defined criteria based on certain statistical efficacy and safety targets. To put it simply, you can't conclude this part of the trial until the placebo group accumulates a certain number of infections compared to the treatment group. This is the usual reason why vaccine development lasts for years... the accumulation of cases trickles in very slowly. We were able to reach the clinical end points of the current vaccines so quickly not because of Operation Warp Speed, but simply because the pandemic raged so out of control that the trials met their targets much faster than expected.
Good points, all of them, though there are other things Warp Speed is responsible for, one important one is the logistics of vaccine distribution which did certainly assist in achieving a excess of 1 million doses per day by mid January. Not sure any further credit can go to Warp Speed for the continued dosage, but that did jump start the process.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good points, all of them, though there are other things Warp Speed is responsible for, one important one is the logistics of vaccine distribution which did certainly assist in achieving a excess of 1 million doses per day by mid January. Not sure any further credit can go to Warp Speed for the continued dosage, but that did jump start the process.

While true...not nearly enough planning/attention was given to logistics...mainly because no one wanted to/accepted “owning it”...

That could have been coordinated much sooner.

Luckily the kinks have largely worked out to this point.

tpac24

View attachment 538973

Tell me again why I’m insulting. Also I didn’t call them anivaxxers, antivaxxers will never get it. I’m giving his supporters the benefit of the doubt they could be swayed, particularly by someone they trust.
I would need a much larger sampling size to side with you on this.

Kevin_W

I had as much to do with the higher percentage of seniors being vaccinated since 1/20 as Biden has. That was going to happen if the Presidency had been vacated and there was nobody in office.

I agree with you on that point. I had a friend text me last night that I would be eligible able to get my shot by May 1. Of course I am - as has been done on this thread, look at the rates of vaccine delivery vs. the population and states are already on course to meet that before then.

It's like me saying "DisneyCane will eat food today" and then taking credit when you have lunch. It's something you were going to do anyway.

ABQ

While true...not nearly enough planning/attention was given to logistics...mainly because no one wanted to/accepted “owning it”...

That could have been coordinated much sooner.

Luckily the kinks have largely worked out to this point.
Well likely if they had found a way to make it rain syringes from sky across all US states and territories in 2 days, you'd likely complain that it wasn't sunny. ;)

_caleb

I find it frustrating and sad how many posters here see literally everything happening in the world primarily through a left/right political lens. It doesn’t make sense to me. All the whataboutism, the “your guy” stuff, and the prepackaged ideologies work against honest dialog and community processing of information.

Also, are we sure everyone on this thread is an actual human person? If there was a way to know, I’d be interested. Not looking for any personal information on anyone; maybe a Turing test for members? One of those “I’m not a robot”/CAPTCHA-type things?
Sorry- it looks like I may have posted the above one day early. Reposting for the turn the thread has taken today and reserving the right to repost every day from now on.

correcaminos

If you do that “deep dive”...what you’ll find is a lot of lauding the vaccines while taking credit for other things mixed in.

Not supporting taking it because others are not a concern.

Go ahead and check. You know how I know? Because the pattern has never changed since 1970. This is psychology 101...not honors edition.

Don’t feed them...they’ll just fling their feces back at you. The lack of basic wisdom displayed after 5 decades on the planet is shocking...and yet not.
Honestly it baffles my mind how blind people are to reality. I do say on both sides too because some are a bit wacko on both ends. It's pretty much factual what our government did and did not do. Not sure how people can ignore facts as much as they do

Again attention seeking behavior with your health care decisions is silly and not necessary to make one pro vaccine and if you don't seek this attention it doesn't make you anit vaxx. Also I am woman so it's cute you called me sexist.
You think women don't say sexist and derogatory things about women? Women absolutely can be and are sexist towards women. So many listen to the misogynistic ideals of men and parrot them. It's derogatory and sexist to demean our VP by calling her a girl.

And I'll say it for about the last time. If our government actually promoted safety and health during the pandemic we wouldn't be where we are now. It's not a coincidence that the majority of people not wanting the vaccine are white Republicans right now. Even Latinos and Blacks who have history using them as guinea pigs in health care are more willing. Former Pres Trump does indeed need to promote it because he started it. Even his VP promoted in the end. Get your blinders off please.

It's not attention seeking at all. On my personal social media I applauded Pence, Harris, and Biden for getting vaccinated. I applaud Bush, Carter, Clinton, and Obama as well for the video. What you see as attention seeking is helping those who fear to not fear so much. That idea is the only reason why I'm on this thread. Being in the trial I felt it was my job to help people who worry.

All Trump had to do was give a thumbs up and a wave while being vaccinated and that large portion of white republicans would be helping us end this by getting vaccinated. To not share was to be selfish.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well likely if they had found a way to make it rain syringes from sky across all US states and territories in 2 days, you'd likely complain that it wasn't sunny. ;)

Not true...I just remember a former HSS
Secretary (not the party you’re assuming) pleading for them to set up cold storage and supply logistics last year in May...

But that was bogged down by bad politics...like the entire affair.

My problem is you don’t get the benefit of the doubt if it’s obvious your priorities aren’t straight.

All politics/television antics.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I think it is very insulting that you think his supporters wont get one or that they are anit vaxx! I know tons of Trump supporters/voters all who have gotten or plan to get them vaccine when available. Is there a small group of wackos sure but the stereotyping on this thread is insulting and just plain ignorant.
Not insulting when stats back it up

CaptainAmerica

Not insulting when stats back it up
The article's conclusion is misleading.

"Around 70% to 85% of the population will likely need protection for herd immunity to be reached, Dr. Anthony Fauci has said. Based on Thursday's poll, between Trump supporters and significant chunks of other demographic groups, those numbers may prove difficult to reach."

It will be difficult to *vaccinate* 70% of the population, it will not be difficult to (Vaccinate + Already Infected) 70% of the population.

correcaminos

The article's conclusion is misleading.

"Around 70% to 85% of the population will likely need protection for herd immunity to be reached, Dr. Anthony Fauci has said. Based on Thursday's poll, between Trump supporters and significant chunks of other demographic groups, those numbers may prove difficult to reach."

It will be difficult to *vaccinate* 70% of the population, it will not be difficult to (Vaccinate + Already Infected) 70% of the population.
That part is all speculatory anyway. I really wanted what is a more well known centered "bias" source for the numbers. That's all. However your comment is splitting hairs. Given older strands in the wild may not provide protection from newer (see Brasil) the naturally immune really should be vaccinated anyway

CaptainAmerica

That part is all speculatory anyway. I really wanted what is a more well known centered "bias" source for the numbers. That's all. However your comment is splitting hairs. Given older strands in the wild may not provide protection from newer (see Brasil) the naturally immune really should be vaccinated anyway
Of course they should. My message is really to two different audiences.

To vaccine skeptics: Knock it off, get your shot.

To everyone else: Don't worry, we're going to hit our numbers even if some people refuse to get vaQcinated.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Of course they should. My message is real to two different audiences.

To vaccine skeptics: Knock it off, get your shot.

To everyone else: Don't worry, we're going to hit our numbers even if some people refuse to get vaQcinated.
Good point! I didn't even think of it the latter way. I am hoping that we can vaccinate quickly enough that variants won't be as much of an issue anymore to those with natural immunity.

DisneyCane

As for the political differences in the willingness to be vaccinated, a good part of it is likely that a much higher percentage of Democrats can be said to be afraid of the virus and have been freaked out about it since a year ago where a higher percentage of Republicans would have been willing to just go on with life and take the risk of getting COVID the whole time. I think it's less about making a political statement or conspiracy theories and more about how important it is to an individual to minimize the chance of getting COVID.

This Republican Trump supporter isn't particularly fearful of COVID (as evidenced by my posts in this thread for the past year) but is also a germaphobe who hates being sick even with a cold. I'm getting vaccinated because it makes me far less likely to have any symptoms from an illness. The particular illness doesn't really matter. It's the same reason I get the flu shot every year. I'd take a vaccine for any common virus that one is available for.

correcaminos

As for the political differences in the willingness to be vaccinated, a good part of it is likely that a much higher percentage of Democrats can be said to be afraid of the virus and have been freaked out about it since a year ago where a higher percentage of Republicans would have been willing to just go on with life and take the risk of getting COVID the whole time. I think it's less about making a political statement or conspiracy theories and more about how important it is to an individual to minimize the chance of getting COVID.

This Republican Trump supporter isn't particularly fearful of COVID (as evidenced by my posts in this thread for the past year) but is also a germaphobe who hates being sick even with a cold. I'm getting vaccinated because it makes me far less likely to have any symptoms from an illness. The particular illness doesn't really matter. It's the same reason I get the flu shot every year. I'd take a vaccine for any common virus that one is available for.
I think something to focus on is obviously not all Trump supporters are this way. Not all Republicans too (and yes I have many Republican friends who are not Trump supporters). When I speak of this I know it's not black or white. People getting insulted by this need to remember that.

Also I don't think fear of a virus is right, vs a respect of it. Saying they are freaked out is akin to saying all Republicans are selfish with being anti-masks. Neither is fair.

_caleb

The difference is that the people who you say are “freaked out” about the virus (you call them “Democrats”) have statistically justified reasons for vaccine hesitancy.

White conservatives, on the other hand, do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom