Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabreezept813

COVID is LITERALLY less dangerous than the flu for kids.
I’m not sure any medical professional would agree. In terms of immediate sickness likely, but I’ve been told by various doctors that they honestly just don’t know about long term effects and to think of it as equally or more dangerous than the flu. Will I bring my toddler and baby out when my husband and I are fully vaccinated? Yes. But will I still be cautious to try to keep them from getting this.. yes. If we knew a safe vaccine for little kids was a month or two away, I’d keep them quarantined until then, but I think unfortunately that won’t be an option so we’ll jsut have to protect them as best we can while resuming some normalcy.

Chomama

It's directly from the CDC. COVID is much more dangerous than the flu for the elderly and much much less dangerous than the flu for children.

I really wasn’t trying to start a debate. I understand the known risks to my kids. We don’t need to keep going. I don’t want to make this thread any more contentious than it already is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And my kids get a flu shot. And my son was hospitalized with the flu last year with a fever of 107.5 and extreme dehydration. And my daughter has pediatric epilepsy. And my other son was in the pediatric icu with a respiratory virus. I have 4 kids and they attend 3 different schools. They would like to be able to go to school with a mask off and see their friends in other home rooms and play sports again and have sleepovers. Schools aren’t changing the rules any time soon and this mama would rather not have to worry about my kid having a long term issue from getting covid as a kid. We don’t know what we don’t know and I don’t want to put them at risk if I don’t have to. Just like they get the flu shot. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Well...booyah

What I'm saying is, your level of worry is not commensurate with the risk, which is miniscule. It's not good for your mental health or theirs.

You shouldn’t have said anything...you were owned.

But you deserve it here...going down the road of “covid isn’t a concern for ______”

It’s been a year...the blank is still empty

oceanbreeze77

Schools aren’t changing the rules any time soon and this mama would rather not have to worry about my kid having a long term issue from getting covid as a kid. We don’t know what we don’t know and I don’t want to put them at risk if I don’t have to. Just like they get the flu shot. 🤷🏼‍♀️
EXACTLY.

This virus impacts the respiratory system, cardiovascular system, nervous system, possibly the reproductive system, and other systems in Adults, we don't know what impact it may have on kids (who are still developing these systems) later in life.

giantgolfer

What I'm saying is, your level of worry is not commensurate with the risk, which is miniscule. It's not good for your mental health or theirs.
Just because you don’t give a flip about other people around you, doesn’t mean we aren’t allowed to worry about our own children’s health.

Parents work hard to keep their children healthy, whether it’s a common cold or COVID-19. You’re gonna have to realize that, as crazy a thought as you think that is.

correcaminos

The 12+ trials should be done in a month or sooner. The kids under 12 have a while to go. I think there’s a good chance that kids 12-17 will have access to the vaccine and have a good chance to be done by July 4th as well.
Moderna is also further behind than Pfizer-BioNTech. Moderna just fully enrolled and Pfizer-BioNTech did end of last year IIRC. So there might be a delay on which. J&J being a more "normal" vaccine has some looking at it differently so it could be ready by Sept https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...s-03-03-21/h_35ba20bf305e14ecf885d3c653172c2f

mmascari

It's directly from the CDC. COVID is much more dangerous than the flu for the elderly and much much less dangerous than the flu for children.

I had to click through 2 links for the definition, but got to this:

“Children younger than 5 years old–especially those younger than 2– are at high risk of developing serious flu-related complications.”

It’s not like that risk is a hard line either where 6 is totally fine or at 18 you’re an adult for COVID risk now. But, what is a hard line is under 12 has a long way to go until approved for a vaccine.

Lots of parents can have legit concerns for kids. Especially parents of 5 to 12 year olds who are much farther from vaccination. Even 12 to 16 have a longer wait than a 20 year old.

Chomama

Moderna is also further behind than Pfizer-BioNTech. Moderna just fully enrolled and Pfizer-BioNTech did end of last year IIRC. So there might be a delay on which. J&J being a more "normal" vaccine has some looking at it differently so it could be ready by Sept https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...s-03-03-21/h_35ba20bf305e14ecf885d3c653172c2f
It would be great to have at least the beginnings of a rollout for kids when school starts next year. Taking teenagers out of the spreading group would likely help to slow things down and keep more flared from happening in the next year. I know my kids’ schools will not remove masks and distancing until the covid rates are significantly lower and herd immunity has arrived or is close - and I am in a state that has not done much to mitigate the spread. I know there are people that are unconcerned about kids and covid. I just don’t really care to find out if they are correct or not! We have a vaccine. Let’s use it.

Tom P.

I will probably come back and expand on this thought when it's not midnight. But I watched Biden's speech in its entirey. And it was easily the worst presidential speech I have seen in my lifetime. By a mile. And, yes, I'm including the utter horsesh*t we had to listen to day in and day out from Trump.

It is clear Biden knows nothing about leadership. Nothing about how to motivate and inspire a nation. In a time where there is truly light at the end of the tunnel, and people are desperate to hear some positive news, the leader of the free world just came out and crapped all over everything. After an uplifting and inspiring PSA from most of the living former presidents, inspiring people to get vaccinated and looking forward to a return to normal, Biden struck an absolute dreary and depressing tone, devoid of any hope.

If Biden truly wants people to get vaccinated, he is approaching this in exactly the wrong way. And he's going to cause more people to skip the vaccine, feeling there is no real point.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

1615526865013.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will probably come back and expand on this thought when it's not midnight. But I watched Biden's speech in its entirey. And it was easily the worst presidential speech I have seen in my lifetime. By a mile. And, yes, I'm including the utter horsesh*t we had to listen to day in and day out from Trump.

It is clear Biden knows nothing about leadership. Nothing about how to motivate and inspire a nation. In a time where there is truly light at the end of the tunnel, and people are desperate to hear some positive news, the leader of the free world just came out and crapped all over everything. After an uplifting and inspiring PSA from most of the living former presidents, inspiring people to get vaccinated and looking forward to a return to normal, Biden struck an absolute dreary and depressing tone, devoid of any hope.

If Biden truly wants people to get vaccinated, he is approaching this in exactly the wrong way. And he's going to cause more people to skip the vaccine, feeling there is no real point.

Biden is really old...Reuters just broke the story. He’s Francois Mitterrand.

Anyway...I’m curious - being a renowned presidential historian you are - how would you like it to be framed? Honest question.

oceanbreeze77

He literally said everyone will be eligible in less than 2 months for the vaccine and that we will most likely get to celebrate 4th of July with our family and friends having fun and doing the things we used too....... so depressing...../s

His tone has to be solemn. We lost over half a million people within a year when we really could have avoided a lot of deaths. It is a solemn moment for our nation. A moment for reflection. Today I felt sadness as I remember what I did this day last year down to the second. A year ago everything changed. We lost so much. Not just lives, but jobs, our livelihood, we lost a whole year of time. We have endured a lot this year and now we can be hopeful, but we are allowed to feel sad.

This speech made me feel like our president was with us in our suffering but also with us in our hopeful race to the end.

Lilofan

You can take your opinion to the political thread. There will be members that will disagree with you.

Touchdown

I might think he’s slow walking on the 4th, but I did think he struck a hopeful tone and I find it so refreshing to hear the President actually support vaccinations. We desperately need everyone to do our part and it was great to see the PSA with all but one of the living former presidents urging the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom