Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa12000

Not a problem (Being pedantic), if I am wrong then I am wrong. I know the United Kingdom was getting out of the European Union, and they often consider the continent something they are not of. So for some odd reason I thought of them as an island nation just outside continental Europe. But you are right, Europe even includes Iceland.

Though the following (Wikipedia which is definitely does not have the final say) would say Europe has often excluded the islands:

But even with the UK better vaccination rate I would still say the vaccination rate in USA is better than in Europe. (Smaller areas within each (Such as the UK) can always be outliers)
Oh god I agree with you! The EUs vaccine roll out is a mess not helped by some stupid comments about AZ by some leaders and the continued suspicion surrounding it. I’m pleased with the roll put in the UK just doesn’t seem to make any difference to our leaders who will have more restrictions in please this summer than last!

DisneyCane

"President Joe Biden is set to announce Thursday evening that he will direct states to make all adults eligible for the Covid vaccines by May 1.

Biden, in his first primetime address to the nation, is also expected to say that Americans should be able to gather in small groups to celebrate the Fourth of July, a senior administration official told reporters Thursday.

“He will be clear that that does not mean large events where lots of people gather, but it does mean that we can once again have an independence day with small gatherings and celebrations,” the official told reporters ahead of the speech.

“And that’s a big step in the right direction,” the official added. “We believe that if we do our part we’ll be in a much better place by Independence Day, and we can start to resume more of our normal activities.”

Biden’s address is scheduled for just after 8 p.m. ET, and will be broadcast from the East Room of the White House. The speech is expected to last less than 20 minutes."

If everyone can get the vaccine in May, why the hell are we only "closer to normal" where we can only have small gatherings on July 4?
Just to review:

1) CDC says it's OK for the fully vaccinated to gather with each other INDOORS without masks.
2) Biden says that there will be enough vaccine for all adults who want it by the end of May, meaning second shots of the two dose vaccine by 6/28. If he didn't mean that all could get the shot by then, he shouldn't have made the announcement because that is the expectation people will have. Since my pest control guy can give the shots now, there shouldn't be any issue getting shots in arms.
3) Biden says that we still can't have any large OUTDOOR events (what all large July 4th events are) when all adults who want it are one week from the 2nd Moderna shot and two weeks from the 2nd Pfizer shot leaving very few who wish to be vaccinated that aren't yet fully protected.

Stop with the ultra cautious stuff. Announce that if 70% of adults are vaccinated (or whatever they determine the percentage needs to be) by the end of May we can return to complete normal in July. Give people a reason to get vaccinated.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Just to review:

1) CDC says it's OK for the fully vaccinated to gather with each other INDOORS without masks.
2) Biden says that there will be enough vaccine for all adults who want it by the end of May, meaning second shots of the two dose vaccine by 6/28. If he didn't mean that all could get the shot by then, he shouldn't have made the announcement because that is the expectation people will have. Since my pest control guy can give the shots now, there shouldn't be any issue getting shots in arms.
3) Biden says that we still can't have any large OUTDOOR events (what all large July 4th events are) when all adults who want it are one week from the 2nd Moderna shot and two weeks from the 2nd Pfizer shot leaving very few who wish to be vaccinated that aren't yet fully protected.

Stop with the ultra cautious stuff. Announce that if 70% of adults are vaccinated (or whatever they determine the percentage needs to be) by the end of May we can return to complete normal in July. Give people a reason to get vaccinated.
Exactly

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Just to review:

What about lifting restrictions like masks and social distancing by July?

Lilofan

Awesome. George W talking about going to opening day for the Texas Rangers...exactly the kind of thing that inspires hope and an emotional response and encourages people to want to get the vaccine. We need more of this.
There is disturbing talk of the Texas Rangers ballpark selling out with a full house at 40K fans coming from various cities , towns and other states in a few weeks for the opening day game. No social distancing, try eating and drinking with a mask on, screaming at the umpire and the players etc.
Be better Texas!

correcaminos

Nauseating.
Why reply? I've had a pretty crappy day after losing yet another friend this year (not covid, but still spent a lot of time with her daughter who is also a close friend today). I actually enjoyed watching past presidents acting like adults. Supporting something we need our government to support. I'm tired of people crapping on nice things like this just to be contrary or push some narrative.

Chomama

I know we want to normalize but we need to remember that kids aren’t vaccinated. I am not super concerned about my little ones but I have a teenager that I am still trying to keep healthy. She can’t run around mask free with her friends anytime soon and school won’t drop masks and distancing until the teens can get a shot

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to review:

He didn’t say only people who are vaccinated can gather for July 4th. The CDC guidelines today are only for fully vaccinated people. You can’t have a BBQ today with whoever you want.

In order to be fully vaccinated by July 4th you have to have your first shot of Moderna by May 23. If you open to the general public May 1 it’s unlikely they all get shot 1 in 22 days. So the math doesn‘t add up that everyone would be done by July 4th if states don’t open to general public until May 1.

Now in my opinion I actually think most states will reach general public before May 1. I also think it’s possible every adult who wants a shot has one before May 23 which means they will all be done by July 4th. I don’t think that needs to be the goal and I don’t think the government should set expectations in March about a guarantee for July. If we get vaccines done faster there is plenty of time to update the target before we reach July 4th.

CaptainAmerica

I know we want to normalize but we need to remember that kids aren’t vaccinated. I am not super concerned about my little ones but I have a teenager that I am still trying to keep healthy. She can’t run around mask free with her friends anytime soon and school won’t drop masks and distancing until the teens can get a shot
COVID is LITERALLY less dangerous than the flu for kids.

DisneyCane

16+ can get Pfizer and I think @GoofGoof (vaccine guru) posted a few days ago that 12+ was coming soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The 12+ trials should be done in a month or sooner. The kids under 12 have a while to go. I think there’s a good chance that kids 12-17 will have access to the vaccine and have a good chance to be done by July 4th as well.

Chomama

"The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19."
- CDC
And my kids get a flu shot. And my son was hospitalized with the flu last year with a fever of 107.5 and extreme dehydration. And my daughter has pediatric epilepsy. And my other son was in the pediatric icu with a respiratory virus. I have 4 kids and they attend 3 different schools. They would like to be able to go to school with a mask off and see their friends in other home rooms and play sports again and have sleepovers. Schools aren’t changing the rules any time soon and this mama would rather not have to worry about my kid having a long term issue from getting covid as a kid. We don’t know what we don’t know and I don’t want to put them at risk if I don’t have to. Just like they get the flu shot. 🤷🏼‍♀️

CaptainAmerica

And my kids get a flu shot. And my son was hospitalized with the flu last year with a fever of 107.5 and extreme dehydration. And my daughter has pediatric epilepsy. And my other son was in the pediatric icu with a respiratory virus. I have 4 kids and they attend 3 different schools. They would like to be able to go to school with a mask off and see their friends in other home rooms and play sports again and have sleepovers. Schools aren’t changing the rules any time soon and this mama would rather not have to worry about my kid having a long term issue from getting covid as a kid. We don’t know what we don’t know and I don’t want to put them at risk if I don’t have to. Just like they get the flu shot. 🤷🏼‍♀️
What I'm saying is, your level of worry is not commensurate with the risk, which is miniscule. It's not good for your mental health or theirs.

Chomama

What I'm saying is, your level of worry is not commensurate with the risk, which is miniscule. It's not good for your mental health or theirs.
How are you assessing my level of worry? I just want to get my kids a vaccine. That doesn’t mean I have debilitating anxiety over it. I’m just excited that that day is on the horizon. It’s ok to be hopeful and excited about things getting better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom