Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

Keep in mind, opening to everyone on May 1 does not mean there is the capacity (either vaccine or man power) for everyone to get it that day/week. Then, it a good amount of those are 2 shot regimens, you are looking at mid to late June for a most adults who want the vaccine to actually have received the full regimen.
So 4th of July?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
He is requiring that all states make the vaccine available to all adults by May 1 at the latest. Most states will move to that earlier than May 1. Alaska is already there. They don’t think everyone will be done being vaccinated in May. You would need to have your first dose of Moderna by May 23 in order to get the second dose 28 days later by June 20 and then be immune by July 4th 2 weeks later. Anyone starting Moderna after May 23 won’t be fully immune by Juiy 4th. For Pfizer it’s May 30 and JnJ June 20. So while most people getting vaccinated will be fully immune by July 4th some will not. I don’t think it’s too restrictive to say small gatherings by July 4th. That’s a very emotionally significant target. I think a really smart way to further encourage vaccine acceptance. In his speech he better highlight that July 4th can be great but only if we hold the line today with masks and distancing to keep the cases in decline and also we get enough people vaccinated.
It's a soft, pathetic goal. Most people have been having small gatherings all year, ESPECIALLY the people most likely to decline the vaccine. Proposing small gatherings four months from now is an absolute nothingburger. It's not going to motivate anybody to do anything.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
May 1st is good news followed by odd news saying people can gather in small groups for July 4th. That just makes it sound like vaccines aren’t a big for us getting back to normal as they should be. They need to be hyping this up more to get those who aren’t thinking of getting it thinking about it more because it will get things back to normal quicker.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's a soft, pathetic goal. Most people have been having small gatherings all year, ESPECIALLY the people most likely to decline the vaccine. Proposing small gatherings four months from now is an absolute nothingburger. It's not going to motivate anybody to do anything.
So what should the goal be? Should he just say go ahead and gather now? I don’t think it’s a good idea to slow play things but you can’t just say because we will have enough vaccine for everyone soon just do what you want. That would be foolish and terrible leadership. I think July 4th is a pretty aggressive goal if there’s a setback with vaccine deliveries or some unforeseen issue it could slip. Saying a return to normal by Christmas was pathetic. Saying we can have 4th of July BBQs is pretty inspirational.

havoc315

If everyone can get the vaccine in May, why the hell are we only "closer to normal" where we can only have small gatherings on July 4?

Mostly because of unknowns but...

1. Children are still many months away from being vaccinated
2. Herd immunity isn’t a switch that instantly comes on at a certain percentage of the population. Once you reach that herd immunity level, it can still take weeks or months for the numbers to truly sink.
3. vaccine availability doesn’t mean adoption — we don’t really know how much hesitancy there will be.
4. vaccines are effective. But we don’t yet know how long they last, how well they will do against newer variants. And critically.. we don’t know how well they do without other mitigation measures. (All the testing was done with people also mitigating).

Basically, the way we protect everyone is to squash the disease down to nearly non-existent levels. At that point, it’s hard for it to mutate into new variants.
But if “vaccine availability” is the goal.. if we return to “normal” with tens of thousands of infections per day... that’s plenty of opportunity for the disease to continue to mutate, potentially even putting vaccinated individuals at risk.

In sum, there is a long list of reasons we can’t just plan to flip the switch on July 4th.

.... but... we will know more later. We might indeed be able to flip the switch on July 4th. We just can’t be too certain yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
May 1st is good news followed by odd news saying people can gather in small groups for July 4th. That just makes it sound like vaccines aren’t a big for us getting back to normal as they should be. They need to be hyping this up more to get those who aren’t thinking of getting it thinking about it more because it will get things back to normal quicker.
It’s a 5 to 6 week process between first shot and fully immune for Pfizer and Moderna. Even if every person got their first shot by May 1 (which is not what this is saying) they wouldn’t be fully done until 2 weeks prior to July 4th.

Lilofan

So what should the goal be? Should he just say go ahead and gather now? I don’t think it’s a good idea to slow play things but you can’t just say because we will have enough vaccine for everyone soon just do what you want. That would be foolish and terrible leadership. I think July 4th is a pretty aggressive goal if there’s a setback with vaccine deliveries or some unforeseen issue it could slip. Saying a return to normal by Christmas was pathetic. Saying we can have 4th of July BBQs is pretty inspirational.
There could what looks like the entire world converging in Orlando and WDW on July 4th weekend.

lisa12000

I wish people would state why they think they did everything right vs USA. (Versus just stating it as a fact [without evidence])

Here is some evidence of the current rate of vaccination in the world. Other than UK[Which is not Europe], USA has vaccinated as a percentage of their population ( 19.36% ) more than any country in Europe.

sorry to be a bit pedantic but the UK is in europe (unless we have moved haha) but just not in the EU (and thank goodness we aren’t in terms of vaccine roll out)

Although believe me it makes no difference that we have vaccinated 23 million over our 67 million population and have a ramp up over 10 million doses coming from tomorrow! In wales the first minister has said that Wales will not return to normal jn 2021 and social distancing will be around all year - and that he is horror struck that people are even thinking of going abroad this year and is lobbying boris to stop anyone having foreign holidays till 2022 and keeping the border shut to everyone

we have the Republic of Ireland who seem to not want to open anything anytime soon and England where we can’t play golf outdoors, no non essential retail is open, no hairdressers, no gyms, no theme parks and they won’t open till April 12th at the earliest. We are now testing all secondary school children twice a week for the foreseeable future along with all their family members and are testing 1.5 million people a day - our case rate is around 6500 a day but not a sign of anything changing really

I would love to be in your position in Florida but just not going to happen anytime soon - does anyone need a live in teacher Or nanny haha

Chomama

From what I'm seeing, this is going to become an issue sooner rather than later. The scientists involved in making the vaccines predicted from the start that they would prevent both symptoms and infections, so that vaccinated people are neither getting sick nor infecting others. This is being borne out by further testing and real world experience.

My husband and I will both be fully vaccinated by April 9. But other than a quick trip to WDW to use DVC points, we won't be contributing much to the economy until mitigation measures are relaxed. We're putting off trips to Colorado and California because spending that much time in airports and planes wearing masks is uncomfortable. We won't be eating in restaurants or attending the usual social events put on by the nonprofit organizations we support because the mask requirements and enforced social distancing detract too much from the experience to make it worth our while. This is not based on petulance, politics or the desire to make some sort of statement; it's simply what is right for us. And I don't think we're going to be the only ones.

It won't be long before businesses start to take note of this, especially when more and more people are vaccinated. Government mandates won't go on much longer, and it will be interesting to see when the burden of customer safety shifts from the businesses to the customers. I read that the Texas Rangers are going to have a section for people who want to social distance and wear masks. I wonder if the same won't be true for some restaurants - you can ask for a special section where tables are spaced farther apart and servers are masked and gloved. I would love some sort of system that allows vaccinated people to be exempt from mitigation measures, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be.
Totally see this. All adults in our family are vaccinated and we still have no plans to travel with kids this spring or summer or eat on restaurants. Honestly it isn’t very enjoyable right now. We did go to Disney in November but don’t plan to go back until there is more entertainment, more nighttime stuff and most shops and snack places open. It was a nice break for us but not worth the hassle to do it again until covid starts to retreat. Especially with the way crowds are now. No thanks! I get some people just want to get out but I’m saving my money until we can fully enjoy a vacation!

Disney Experience

sorry to be a bit pedantic but the UK is in europe (unless we have moved haha) but just not in the EU (and thank goodness we aren’t in terms of vaccine roll out)

Although believe me it makes no difference that we have vaccinated 23 million over our 67 million population and have a ramp up over 10 million doses coming from tomorrow! In wales the first minister has said that Wales will not return to normal jn 2021 and social distancing will be around all year - and that he is horror struck that people are even thinking of going abroad this year and is lobbying boris to stop anyone having foreign holidays till 2022 and keeping the border shut to everyone

we have the Republic of Ireland who seem to not want to open anything anytime soon and England where we can’t play golf outdoors, no non essential retail is open, no hairdressers, no gyms, no theme parks and they won’t open till April 12th at the earliest. We are now testing all secondary school children twice a week for the foreseeable future along with all their family members and are testing 1.5 million people a day - our case rate is around 6500 a day but not a sign of anything changing really

I would love to be in your position in Florida but just not going to happen anytime soon - does anyone need a live in teacher Or nanny haha
Not a problem (Being pedantic), if I am wrong then I am wrong. I know the United Kingdom was getting out of the European Union, and they often consider the continent something they are not of. So for some odd reason I thought of them as an island nation just outside continental Europe. But you are right, Europe even includes Iceland.

Though the following (Wikipedia which is definitely does not have the final say) would say Europe has often excluded the islands:
In addition, the word Europe itself is also regularly used to mean Europe excluding the islands of Great Britain, Iceland, and Ireland (although the term is often used to refer to the European Union[9])

But even with the UK better vaccination rate I would still say the vaccination rate in USA is better than in Europe. (Smaller areas within each (Such as the UK) can always be outliers)

Last edited:

correcaminos

Awesome. George W talking about going to opening day for the Texas Rangers...exactly the kind of thing that inspires hope and an emotional response and encourages people to want to get the vaccine. We need more of this.
I loved that too for that reason. Talking about hugging family too.

Today I was with a friend whose mom died this morning. Normally hugs and such, but not today. The three of us who sat together 2 were vaccinated and one had covid just over a month ago. I sometimes wonder how long it will take to get to normal.

seabreezept813

If half of the population are "essential" workers then prioritizing them would be pointless since the number is so large.

As I detailed in a post the other day, in FL if you vaccinated 85% of all people 55 and over, you'd eliminate 80% of all COVID fatalities. The people in the families of the "essential" workers who are at high risk are in the eligible groups (either by age or high risk).

A 25 year old that works in a grocery store or as a bus driver should not be prioritized over somebody who is in a statistically high risk age group or who has been determined by their physician to be at extremely high risk.

That's even before you get to the fight about who is an "essential" worker. If you go down the path of the food supply, do you start separating the Wonder Bread delivery driver from the Frito Lay delivery driver and how do you oversee that distinction?
Frito Lay delivers water, paper, and other necessary products like most major companies. Just FYI. Maybe even more than Wonder Bread as it owns so many product lines.

TrainsOfDisney

OH man, I'm going to find a vet if I need a booster! I live in what they call an "equine community" so - housecall! Do the Coggins on the mare next door and swing by and jab me! Better than Amazon Prime
That’s what I’m thinking too! There’s a visiting pet vet that rolls around to the neighbors in a fancy RV style veterinary office... I’ll have him swing by! Haha.

havoc315

I wish people would state why they think they did everything right vs USA. (Versus just stating it as a fact [without evidence])

Here is some evidence of the current rate of vaccination in the world. Other than UK[Which is not Europe], USA has vaccinated as a percentage of their population ( 19.36% ) more than any country in Europe.

The US has done extremely well in rolling out vaccines.
UK hasn’t done better — they are following a different strategy. They are giving everyone a first shot, putting off the second dose. So US has a much higher portion of the population having completed both doses.
UK is in Europe, just not part of the EU, anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom