Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

I wouldn't count on any more stimulus, the cupboard is bare\
Next up minimum wage
(if people make more than minimum they might pay more taxes) They certainly spend more than they were so sales tax is increased
With the increase the latest stimulus could be covered in 6 years from all the extra taxes.

Chi84

Premium Member
I would argue that if you could create a secure and accurate vaccine passport, fully vaccinated people shouldn't be required to wear masks or socially distance. Maybe some kind of pass you can wear on a lanyard with a QR code linked to a secure site that shows your picture to confirm it is you if anybody wants to check.

Based off of this data, being vaccinated is far more effective at preventing spread than even the best case lab experiments say that face coverings are. I'm sure somebody will chime in with, "but if the vaccine is 94% effective and the mask is 70% effective then combined they are 98.2% effective." I'll trade that extra 4.2% for not feeling like I'm in an infectious disease ward all the time.
From what I'm seeing, this is going to become an issue sooner rather than later. The scientists involved in making the vaccines predicted from the start that they would prevent both symptoms and infections, so that vaccinated people are neither getting sick nor infecting others. This is being borne out by further testing and real world experience.

My husband and I will both be fully vaccinated by April 9. But other than a quick trip to WDW to use DVC points, we won't be contributing much to the economy until mitigation measures are relaxed. We're putting off trips to Colorado and California because spending that much time in airports and planes wearing masks is uncomfortable. We won't be eating in restaurants or attending the usual social events put on by the nonprofit organizations we support because the mask requirements and enforced social distancing detract too much from the experience to make it worth our while. This is not based on petulance, politics or the desire to make some sort of statement; it's simply what is right for us. And I don't think we're going to be the only ones.

It won't be long before businesses start to take note of this, especially when more and more people are vaccinated. Government mandates won't go on much longer, and it will be interesting to see when the burden of customer safety shifts from the businesses to the customers. I read that the Texas Rangers are going to have a section for people who want to social distance and wear masks. I wonder if the same won't be true for some restaurants - you can ask for a special section where tables are spaced farther apart and servers are masked and gloved. I would love some sort of system that allows vaccinated people to be exempt from mitigation measures, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As of today’s report we are at 98M+ vaccines administered which means after today’s jabs (reported tomorrow) we should exceed the 100M doses in around 50 days. On the vaccine delivery front we are up to 131M doses delivered. Unless we see a major ramp up in the next week or so we are unlikely to hit the 220M Pfizer and Moderna doses delivered by end of Q1. That’s not a huge deal since we are still on pace to get to a big number and if they ramp up as expected should still hit 400M doses delivered by around the end of May.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So after I got second shot on April 1st, then I may go to Six Flags Great Adventure on April 17th after 2 weeks of my vaccine immunity according to my mom tells me. So next year I will go to Opening Day at the park when it's back to normal.
Sounds like a plan :) Small price to pay to ensure you are safe. You can probably get some good time in at six flags later this Spring before schools let out since many schools won’t be doing their class trips. It should be mostly dead mid-week whenever they open up fully 7 days a week.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was very impressed with how Great Adventure pivoted with pandemic. They switched their safari from part of the part experience back to a drive through so it could re-open before the rest of the park. They also did a drive through Christmas light show in the park, and they are currently doing a drive through laser light show.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"President Joe Biden is set to announce Thursday evening that he will direct states to make all adults eligible for the Covid vaccines by May 1.

Biden, in his first primetime address to the nation, is also expected to say that Americans should be able to gather in small groups to celebrate the Fourth of July, a senior administration official told reporters Thursday.

“He will be clear that that does not mean large events where lots of people gather, but it does mean that we can once again have an independence day with small gatherings and celebrations,” the official told reporters ahead of the speech.

“And that’s a big step in the right direction,” the official added. “We believe that if we do our part we’ll be in a much better place by Independence Day, and we can start to resume more of our normal activities.”

Biden’s address is scheduled for just after 8 p.m. ET, and will be broadcast from the East Room of the White House. The speech is expected to last less than 20 minutes."

Slpy3270

Meanwhile, Europe, who did almost (almost) everything right vs America can't even properly administer vaccines because of BS bureaucracy and pandering to anti-vaxxers.

JoeCamel

"President Joe Biden is set to announce Thursday evening that he will direct states to make all adults eligible for the Covid vaccines by May 1.

Biden, in his first primetime address to the nation, is also expected to say that Americans should be able to gather in small groups to celebrate the Fourth of July, a senior administration official told reporters Thursday.

“He will be clear that that does not mean large events where lots of people gather, but it does mean that we can once again have an independence day with small gatherings and celebrations,” the official told reporters ahead of the speech.
Cue the shark ;)

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

“And that’s a big step in the right direction,” the official added. “We believe that if we do our part we’ll be in a much better place by Independence Day, and we can start to resume more of our normal activities.”

Biden’s address is scheduled for just after 8 p.m. ET, and will be broadcast from the East Room of the White House. The speech is expected to last less than 20 minutes."

Is UK variants is getting worse by next month?

ABQ

Meanwhile, Europe, who did almost (almost) everything right vs America can't even properly administer vaccines because of BS bureaucracy and pandering to anti-vaxxers.
How so? Speaking of the second half of your statement as the first half is far too slippery a slope to discuss.

Slpy3270

Really? Do tell....
Iceland, Norway and Denmark recently halted administering AstraZeneca vaccines because of reports of blood clots among patients, even though there are absolutely no links established between them. There's no reason to stop administering them if the majority of patients aren't having these issues.

Is UK variants is getting worse by next month?
The UK variant accounts for half of Florida's cases now but the surge in hospitalizations hasn't come (at least not yet). The vaccines are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom