Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
makes sense if a particular variant was deeply impacting the NYC area the parts of NJ in the suburbs of NYC would also be impacted and the parts further from NYC where people spend more time in Philly or don’t visit NYC regularly for work or leisure would be less impacted.
is going to not going to be Fall spike by October or November if all people are herd immunity is 70% when millions of people got vaccines?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
is going to not going to be Fall spike by October or November if all people are herd immunity is 70% when millions of people got vaccines?
Nah, no Fall spike. We should get enough people vaccinated by end of May or June to reach herd immunity and put this behind us for good. Localized outbreaks are possible after that since there will be areas that barely crack 50% immune. NJ will likely be highly vaccinated (possibly even exceeding 75-85% of adults vaccinated) when this is all said and done. You should be good :)

_caleb

I am not an actual human person. I am a cartoon dog 🙃
Of course you’re a dog, Goof!

I will admit that I interpreted a change in the “tone” of your posts (completely subjective, I know) here the last couple weeks (maybe since you started voicing your frustration with Dr. Fauci) that made me wonder about your personhood. But that was probably more about me than you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Of course you’re a dog, Goof!

I will admit that I interpreted a change in the “tone” of your posts (completely subjective, I know) here the last couple weeks (maybe since you started voicing your frustration with Dr. Fauci) that made me wonder about your personhood. But that was probably more about me than you.
I have been consistently highly bullish on the vaccines since last year. I firmly believed our best bet was to follow public health measures to reduce spread as much as possible and wait for the cavalry. Now that vaccines are here and we have a true end in sight I see no reason not be highly optimistic. I have a beef with anyone or anything that gets in the way of the vaccine rollout. I didn’t agree with Fauci and the administration‘s plan to slow play vaccine rollout or return to normal. I thought it was counterproductive to getting as many people as possible vaccinated which is all that matters now. I am much happier with their more recent tone set. They have set more realistic targets and seem to be backing down from the overly conservative estimates. I have no problem with people making mistakes as long as they acknowledge that mistake and correct it which they did.

_caleb

I have been consistently highly bullish on the vaccines since last year. I firmly believed our best bet was to follow public health measures to reduce spread as much as possible and wait for the cavalry. Now that vaccines are here and we have a true end in sight I see no reason not be highly optimistic. I have a beef with anyone or anything that gets in the way of the vaccine rollout. I didn’t agree with Fauci and the administration‘s plan to slow play vaccine rollout or return to normal. I thought it was counterproductive to getting as many people as possible vaccinated which is all that matters now. I am much happier with their more recent tone set. They have set more realistic targets and seem to be backing down from the overly conservative estimates. I have no problem with people making mistakes as long as they acknowledge that mistake and correct it which they did.
I see how you’ve been consistent on that. Like I said, it was probably more on my end than anything. By following this thread, I read your posts every day, which can lead me to think I’ve become familiar with members’ personalities and writing styles. Also, I’m always on the lookout for duplicitous accounts and disingenuous posts. Don’t worry- you’re not on my list.

On a completely unrelated note, would you mind selecting all the images with a BUS in the grid below?
72F242F6-E44F-4259-806E-EDDC4DF79B43.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I find it frustrating and sad how many posters here see literally everything happening in the world primarily through a left/right political lens. It doesn’t make sense to me. All the whataboutism, the “your guy” stuff, and the prepackaged ideologies work against honest dialog and community processing of information.

Also, are we sure everyone on this thread is an actual human person? If there was a way to know, I’d be interested. Not looking for any personal information on anyone; maybe a Turing test for members? One of those “I’m not a robot”/CAPTCHA-type things?

This problem isn't limited to poster here.

_caleb

This problem isn't limited to poster here.
You’re right. I guess I was hoping that this little community of Disney fans might be able to rise above all that. But alas, here we are, and @wdwmagic has had to install the politics tag on several threads. I’m not a political person, but I’m sure I’ve contributed to the polemics as well. I just find it strange and sort of sad.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You’re right. I guess I was hoping that this little community of Disney fans might be able to rise above all that. But alas, here we are, and @wdwmagic has had to install the politics tag on several threads. I’m not a political person, but I’m sure I’ve contributed to the polemics as well. I just find it strange and sort of sad.

Yeah, I wish we could go back to just fighting over printed napkins and pool hopping. ;)

mmascari

Also, are we sure everyone on this thread is an actual human person?
Definitely not sure.

It’s time for the CDC to acknowledge reality, vaccinated people do not spread Covid. Short of masking and distancing in public there shouldn’t be any restrictions on fully vaccinated people.
There's lots of value in minimizing how often vaccinated people are exposed to the virus. Even with all the mitigations occurring, there's still lots of interactions between infected people and others.

Hence the public masking and distancing you mention. And, they removed all the restrictions for small personal gathering guidance when everyone is vaccinated.

If someone wants to host a dinner party with all the vaccinated people they know, and only the ones actually vaccinated not their kids too, sure that everyone really is vaccinated, my vote is to go for it. It'll get easier to host that dinner party as more people are vaccinated.

In places in the low single digit per 100K cases, they can probably have even less restrictions for vaccinated people. Since, there's less chance of an interaction. I'm not sure how low in the single digits that number should be to effectively minimize interactions. It's also harder to have two sets of rules in general settings. Low enough in the single digits, and it really doesn't matter if people are vaccinated or not, as long as they're staying on top of outbreaks to keep the number down.

The vaccinated person and virus interaction fear is that every interaction is a chance a mutation that get's past the vaccine lands on a vaccinated person. That person will effectively fend off all the other mutants allowing the unfortunate mutant to be the only one left and infect someone else. As that mutant outcompetes the other mutants in the vaccinated person. Less interactions, less chance for that specific mutation to be a competitive advantage. If we took a small group of vaccinated people and dropped them in the middle of rampant widespread infectious area where they were constantly exposed to different mutants relying on no other protection, we would accelerate the chance of a mutant getting past the vaccine.

_caleb

Yeah, I wish we could go back to just fighting over printed napkins and pool hopping. ;)
It’s funny- I was trying to think back to a time when things weren’t so politically charged, and in hindsight, even some of the things I thought were just factions Disney fans were probably more rooted in left/right politics than I‘d thought.
  • Drinking straws
  • Women-chasing-pirates changes to PotC
  • Appropriate park attire
  • Private cabanas in Tomorrowland
  • Fastpass pros/cons
  • Even pool-hopping!
Threads like this one have really demonstrated political ideologies, and now when I look back at other threads about other topics, I see some of the same “sides” (the same members “liking” each others’ posts). Curious.

DisneyCane

It’s time for the CDC to acknowledge reality, vaccinated people do not spread Covid. Short of masking and distancing in public there shouldn’t be any restrictions on fully vaccinated people.
I would argue that if you could create a secure and accurate vaccine passport, fully vaccinated people shouldn't be required to wear masks or socially distance. Maybe some kind of pass you can wear on a lanyard with a QR code linked to a secure site that shows your picture to confirm it is you if anybody wants to check.

Based off of this data, being vaccinated is far more effective at preventing spread than even the best case lab experiments say that face coverings are. I'm sure somebody will chime in with, "but if the vaccine is 94% effective and the mask is 70% effective then combined they are 98.2% effective." I'll trade that extra 4.2% for not feeling like I'm in an infectious disease ward all the time.

Disstevefan1

As expected the NY Times is now reporting Florida is down to 22 cases per 100,000. However, there are still 3 states in the 30's. 7 in the 20's, 37 in the 10's and 4 in single digits. But there is good news as 2 States, Vermont and Connecticut are at 20 and about to go down to the teens. There are also 4 States, North Dakota, Kansas. Wisconsin and Wyoming at 10 and about to enter the single digits. On the horrible side New Jersey increased to 38 and New York stayed at 37 but Rhode Island went down to 31 so hopefully in a day or 2 we will be down to 2 states in the 30's, 6 in the 20s, 35 in the 10's and 8 in single digits. It is mindboggling to think that California will soon be be in single digits while NY and NJ will still be in the 30's. Something is wrong with that. California has show great progress over the last few weeks buy not NY and NJ. Yes, they have variants but so does the rest of the country and yet only those 2 states show no improvement. It's not what you see in public but behind closed doors. Too many gatherings? Something is wrong and it should be publicized. NJ is 58.33% higher than number 4 DC and 72.7% higher than Florida. NO EXCUSE!

To me it’s always been about COVID hospitalizations and COVID related deaths. Testing is just a measure. We should spend less money testing and more money for vaccines and in the hospital.

At a glance for NY, both hospitalizations and deaths are heading down. The graph I looked at for NY hospitalizations, the line is going straight down. It’s all good!

Testing positive doesn’t mean hospitalization or death 99.6 percent of the time.

zweltar

So no one knows when we will 70% herd immunity by summer or fall so COVID-19 will no longer as threat for good.
Do you know?

Also, do you know the winning lottery numbers for this week's games? Of if you don't know them, do you know for which dates you will have the winning numbers?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, when do you think we'll know what yellow tastes like?

seascape

Even in NJ it is very split. The counties along the Delaware are doing fairly good, sometimes in the teens, most low 20s. It's Monmouth and Ocean Counties, followed by some of the countries across the Hudson. I'm stunned at how fast the numbers have gone up in Monmouth.
Ocean County and Monmouth Counties are high because of a specific area and people who don't follow the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom