Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 92 new reported deaths, along with 4 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 2.30.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 2.30.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 2.30.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 2.29.54 PM.png

seascape

GoofGoof

Premium Member

oceanbreeze77

that’s where the real work begins for the government. Getting people who are on the fence to come in.
maybe the next stimulus will be tied to vaccines. Right now accessibility is still very difficult, by the time theyre ready to hand out the next one, vaccines will be more accessible.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hope they announce that two weeks after shot 2 that you can travel without having to quarantine. That is needed to encourage people to take it.
I agree. I think they got gun shy this week due to Spring Break. They didn’t want to add to the free for all already starting. I think it makes sense to start hyping the benefits of being vaccinated. Make it something positive to celebrate. The government has to find ways to make it more convenient too. I really wanted the vaccine and still got frustrated with the process for someone who isn’t that interested they need to do outreach, bring the vaccine to them.

Bill in Atlanta

GoofGoof, I admire your dedication to this topic. I pop into this thread every few weeks, and you're always in here posting. Taking into account all that you've seen/heard, when do you think WDW will ultimately shift mask wearing from required to optional? And do you get the sense that Disney is under pressure to do it soon?

JAKECOTCenter

I don't think they're under pressure to do it soon but I think certainly before the 50th because most states will already have the vaccines open to most adults by then so I would think they'd be under enormous pressure

JoeCamel

maybe the next stimulus will be tied to vaccines. Right now accessibility is still very difficult, by the time theyre ready to hand out the next one, vaccines will be more accessible.
I wouldn't count on any more stimulus, the cupboard is bare\
Next up minimum wage
(if people make more than minimum they might pay more taxes) They certainly spend more than they were so sales tax is increased

GoofGoof

Premium Member
GoofGoof, I admire your dedication to this topic. I pop into this thread every few weeks, and you're always in here posting. Taking into account all that you've seen/heard, when do you think WDW will ultimately shift mask wearing from required to optional? And do you get the sense that Disney is under pressure to do it soon?
My gut says not weeks away, but not the end of year either. By Oct 1 may be a safe bet, but possibly as early as sometime this Summer. I think they will focus on relaxing distancing first since it has such a big impact on operations and park capacity. The next few weeks with Spring Break ramping up they are hitting capacity limits and that’s leaving money on the table. I think they will be hesitant to remove distancing and masks at once.

I also think that Disney will heavily rely on the CDC guidelines for masks. If/when they relax them Disney will follow. Recently several studies have shown that the vaccines are not just effective at preventing symptoms but also effective at preventing even asymptomatic infection which means you can’t infect others. That’s a big piece of news if it holds up because masks are primarily required to prevent you from infecting someone else but based on the studies a vaccinated person no longer poses a threat. Once we hit the point where say 80% of adults are vaccinated do we really keep requiring 100% of people to wear masks just so the 20% left unvaccinated don’t infect each other? 80% of people would be wearing a mask for no reason. I think if cases and community spread are very low combined with a high number of people vaccinated we will see the mask rules relaxed.

On timing I don’t see it taking until 2022 to get there. By the end of June if all goes as planned on the vaccine rollout we should have every 12+ person in the US who wants a vaccine done. Barring crazy stuff with variants and assuming we get 70-80% of eligible people to get the jab I think most Covid restrictions could come off as early as some time this Summer. No guarantees on that and a lot has to go right to pull that off but it’s possible.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't count on any more stimulus, the cupboard is bare\
Next up minimum wage
(if people make more than minimum they might pay more taxes) They certainly spend more than they were so sales tax is increased
Could be one more smaller stimulus bill that has a smaller check to people (a few hundred) and then money to certain industries that were deeply impacted in the form of tax breaks or other incentives.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I agree. I think they got gun shy this week due to Spring Break. They didn’t want to add to the free for all already starting. I think it makes sense to start hyping the benefits of being vaccinated. Make it something positive to celebrate. The government has to find ways to make it more convenient too. I really wanted the vaccine and still got frustrated with the process for someone who isn’t that interested they need to do outreach, bring the vaccine to them.
By Spring Break / Easter next month don't you think it's going to be a huge surge due to variants or not?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
By Spring Break / Easter next month don't you think it's going to be a huge surge due to variants or not?
So far so good on that. The variants in the NY area so far haven‘t caused a major surge, just a flattening out of the decline in cases. In CA where a variant caused a major surge they are over the hump now so even if there is a variant surge there‘s no guarantee it lasts longer than a month or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom