Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpac24

Then you could get the Merck version of the J&J?
I don't know that "ethical" and huge drug company go together. The testing alone kinda kills that.
There is a Family Guy episode where the drug companies have the cure for cancer but won't share because of greed and a small part of me believes that. His willingness to call out the drug companies was one of our former presidents finer points.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think I might go for the J&J vaccine, but I haven't forgotten about their talc powder incident which really casted doubt as to whether or not they are an ethical company.
If it makes you feel better the vaccine is really Janssen which is a subsidiary of JnJ. The consumer products are under a different company. They share a CEO and corporate functions but the manufacturing and quality control is 2 unique separate companies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The side effects is making me think about J and J for my kids, when available. I had moderna and can’t imagine them tolerating those side effects very easily.
I have good friends whose son has a ton of food and other allergies. I know they were worried about reaction form the vaccine. He has no issues with a flu shot but having 1 vs 2 is also an advantage there.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If it makes you feel better the vaccine is really Janssen which is a subsidiary of JnJ. The consumer products are under a different company. They share a CEO and corporate functions but the manufacturing and quality control is 2 unique separate companies.
Fair enough, sometimes you gotta realize that most companies have had some issues but maybe look past that in an effort to get vaccinated.

JoeCamel

Are they just on a dose buying spree for PR? Aren't there already enough doses on order to fully vaccinate 400 million people before placing this order?

If it was going to pull the date of all adults having access to be vaccinated forward then I would understand but certainly few, if any, doses of this new order will be delivered prior to the end of May.
Maybe they will open a CEO window? No waiting - for a price?
Need to make up 5 trillion dollars somehow, could we get Cheapek to help?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is a Family Guy episode where the drug companies have the cure for cancer but won't share because of greed and a small part of me believes that. His willingness to call out the drug companies was one of our former presidents finer points.

It costs a lot of money to develop a drug, so a drug company wouldn't develop a cancer cure and just sit on it, they would just decide it isn't economical to develop it in the first place.

DisneyCane

It costs a lot of money to develop a drug, so a drug company wouldn't develop a cancer cure and just sit on it, they would just decide it isn't economical to develop it in the first place.
Exactly!

I have often wondered IF somebody discovered a cure for cancer, how many people worldwide would no longer have a job because they have spent their career researching ways to treat and cure cancer.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get the answer in my lifetime. I expect treatments to get better and better and survival rates to continue to improve but I don't think a treatment that cures all cancers (and doesn't kill the patient in the process) will happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
According to the NY Times improvement continues is most states. Florida is down to 23 cases per 100,000 but would be at 22 if they used the 2021 estimated population rather that the 2020 estimate. Anyway, the 3 states of NY, NJ and RI are horrible and the only states with more than 24 per 100,000. In fact NY and NY, still at 37 are now 54.2% higher than number 4 South Carolina and 60.9% higher than Florida using the NY Times numbers. Yes, the people of NY and NJ are doing a terrible job and need to do a better job. There is no excuse because South Carolina was the worst state just a couple of weeks ago and has dropped significantly but my neighbors are proving how poor they are on healthy living. No excuse! Take your shot, wear a mask. wash your hands. Why are these 3 states the only states not improving? Answer is simple, stupidity.

3 States in the 30s
7 States 20 to 24 including DC with 23
37 States including 10 to 19
4 States in single digits

I doubt the answer is as simple as stupidity. Both NY and NJ had fewer cases per capita then the total for the US from June through January. I don't think people suddenly got stupid in January.

tpac24

Exactly!

I have often wondered IF somebody discovered a cure for cancer, how many people worldwide would no longer have a job because they have spent their career researching ways to treat and cure cancer.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get the answer in my lifetime. I expect treatments to get better and better and survival rates to continue to improve but I don't think a treatment that cures all cancers (and doesn't kill the patient in the process) will happen anytime in the foreseeable future.
It was a Family Guy episode and only a small part of me believed it! :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Exactly!

Not to open a can of worms, but it's interesting to look at home many drugs are out there to treat difference diseases and conditions, but that don't actually cure the underlying problem.

seascape

I doubt the answer is as simple as stupidity. Both NY and NJ had fewer cases per capita then the total for the US from June through January. I don't think people suddenly got stupid in January.
Covid19 fatigue is stupid. We are so close to this being over and based on the numbers too many people are letting their guard down. That has to be the excuse and that is just stupid.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Are they just on a dose buying spree for PR? Aren't there already enough doses on order to fully vaccinate 400 million people before placing this order?

If it was going to pull the date of all adults having access to be vaccinated forward then I would understand but certainly few, if any, doses of this new order will be delivered prior to the end of May.

Can someone who is tracking this summarize where we are with ordered doses?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Things move in cycles of up and down. It’s been that way for over a year now. Not sure why we still have these discussions cherry picking a small period of time and playing who is better than who. Remember back in Dec/Jan the big compare was CA to FL and why were CA cases so high when they have more restrictions than FL. Radio silence now on comparing FL to CA.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Covid19 fatigue is stupid. We are so close to this being over and based on the numbers too many people are letting their guard down. That has to be the excuse and that is just stupid.

People letting the guard down is just an assumption. The other real possibility is that the area is getting hit with a more contagious variant. The fact that this is happening in three geo-graphically close states would point in that direction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Things move in cycles of up and down. It’s been that way for over a year now. Not sure why we still have these discussions cherry picking a small period of time and playing who is better than who. Remember back in Dec/Jan the big compare was CA to FL and why were CA cases so high when they have more restrictions than FL. Radio silence now on comparing FL to CA.

I agree that we shouldn't be playing who is better then who, but I also think it's important to try to understand what is driving those cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom